Houzz Logo Print
bolmstea1

Meeting with Electrician

bolmstea1
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8
We are currently having a home built. We will be meeting with the electrician tomorrow evening. We know we will be going over outlets/light switch placement, etc. What else should we expect from this meeting? Do we need to have a list of all the types of lighting we want in each room? (Ceiling fans,can lights,sconces, etc.) Any insight or good ideas for electrical would be appreciated. Thank you!

Комментарии: 13

• miacometlady
    If you like to decorate for Christmas, then an outlet under each window for lights is a must! I also would have a recessed light placed on mantle! Have a light switch by front and side door that ties into the outside light outlet so you can turn spot light or Christmas lights off from inside house! There are code issues that will have the correct number of outlets per wall and what goes in wet areas etc. and yes, think about pendents in kitchen, pot lights and ceiling fans. Didn't your contractor give you an estimate of a certain amount of can lights?
  • Irene Morresey
    Some ideas, hope it helps
  • bolmstea1
    Автор
    Thank you , working on a list right now , does anyone know about how much an extra an extra outlet might be ?
  • miacometlady
    Exterior lights by outside doors and around garage! Security lights too outside.
  • miacometlady
    Do you want dimmers in certain rooms?
  • bolmstea1
    Автор
    Our builder gave us a lighting budget yes but hasn't told us what the electrician will be putting / wiring in standard . I don't think I'm concerned with dimmers , but outside lights front and back are on the list .
  • User

Try to get a reasonable placement of all the furniture you will have as well. Sometimes it is less about how many extra receptacles, and more about just shifting their spacing one direction or the other.

It doesn't hurt to go by a lighting store and get an estimate on all the lights they suggest either. You will at least go into the meeting with one complete list to compare to your overall budget and a better understanding of the process in general.

• timibrees
    Have you thought of lighting under the top kitchen cabinets? I wish we had installed it while we were building.
  • R pnwz8a
    Prewiring for anything that u might not want now but in future like fans, AC . I don't know what zone u r in.
  • R pnwz8a
    And congratulations for ur new home!!
  • juudean
    You need to get this right because it will be really hard to rectify once the house is finished. Our design-build guy created an electrical plan, including outlets ( driven by code), switches, dimmers, how many fixtures, how many cans, phone, ceiling fans, vent fans, TV, Internet, outdoor lighting. We tweaked it, and then I went to the local lighting store and had them go through it with me. My takeaway there was that as we age, you can't have too much lighting! We made construction paper mock ups of fixture sizes that we taped on the walls to make sure fixtures weren't too big or small for the space... THEN we met with the electrician at the house and walked through the plan. It was a lot of effort. After all that we still got a couple of things wrong (e.g. Why did we put that switch there...it makes no sense), but all in all it worked out pretty well. So, take it slow on this and get it right! Good luck...fun times!
  • PRO
    Hotwire Electric-All inc
    lighting is essential and we'll planned switching. heated floors, sconces and led lighting points for accent lighting