Houzz Logo Print
suivezmoi

How to separate out an aloe

suivezmoi
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

So I am taking an aloe from my parents when I head back to corpus. It's originated from a plant my grandfather gave them 20 years ago. Not sure how long this specific pot has been around. Is there any trick to dividing them out? Also any advice on how big of a pot I should try and move it to? Or even how many pots I might need. Thanks for any help!

Plants · Еще

Комментарии: 1

• PRO
    Ground Up Design
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

I'd recommend pulling the aloe out of the pot and working the root ball a little first to loosen the roots.

Then grab a base of one of the plants (I like to start with the larger ones on the outside) and gently work it away from the root ball. Set the pulled piece aside and repeat! There will be some snapping of roots.

Usually I will do it quickly, and invariably end up with a few rootless stragglers that I throw out.

I would also leave the divided plants in a dry, shady location for ~24 hours (unplanted) so any wounds can callous over.

You can move each individual plant to new pots of any size, though I'd recommend starting smaller. You could also cluster them, though that just accelerates the eventual need to re-divide.

Make sure the soil is very well-draining, as the plants will be susceptible to rot from too much water.

These guys are tough though! Good luck!

Sponsored