Houzz Logo Print
mikepowell123

To Pergola or not to Pergola?

Mike K.
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

We are putting in a new deck and some new patio space and landscaping. Debating heavily whether to put in a pergola over the patio for shade. Did you add a pergola to your patio? Happy that you did? Would you do it again? Why and why not? Why do you wish you knew before you chose one way or another? The reason we aren't sure is that we haven't yet "lived" and experienced our new space so we aren't sure whether we will like it or not. There are lots of options to add shade including some very nice umbrellas supported by freestanding half-circle supports. And these we could add after the patio is complete. The pergola, if we add it to the initial buildout, will be with us from the start, but it let's our contractor do this as part of the total job and gets it done this summer. Thanks for your experiences and insights! We very much like the look of the pergolas but just want to be sure about our decision.

Комментарии: 16

• PRO
    Deck Masters

Nice project Roberts. Outdoor shade rooms are nice to have, sometimes they are kinda spendy. It is possible to put a lex ann roof on these buildings that way pre finished PT lumber can be used. With a roof over it the treated lumber will not twist/ warp like it would exposed to direct sunlight.

John

Mike K. поблагодарил(а): Deck Masters
  • Kari R

Yes. We put pergola over our deck to aid in shading our west facing windows. I almost wish we would have extended over entire deck but thought it would look better over portion. Wish GC had put more slats on top to increase shade as it gets pretty warm. We have gotten tons of compliments on the pergola and have noticed at least 3 neighbors have added one to theirs too!

Mike K. поблагодарил(а): Kari R
  • weedyacres

Yes. Great for shade.

Mike K. поблагодарил(а): weedyacres
  • PRO
    Deck Masters

Hey Weedy !!!!!!!!!!! Im....Backkkkkkkkkkkk

• Mike K.
    Автор

Anyone evaluate/include a ceiling fan in their pergolas? Why / why not? Thanks!

• fnmroberts

We have investigated and have run electricity to install one. Ours would need to be "all weather" as the roof is open, not rain tight.

Believe having one would discourage flying insects.

I like options so at least make provisions while under construction.

• weedyacres

Hey, Jon Mon, I just saw this post again. Glad to see you snuck back in!

• PRO
    Deck Masters

Things have changed for sure.

J.

• weedyacres

Yeah, these new Houzz owners will apparently let anyone in. :-)

• PRO
    Deck Masters

See how you are !!! actually I made a promise to keep my site off any posts. It was different back then. NO one rides for free now a days. I understand that.

J.

• Zoe Kendrick

I would definitely agree with all the previous comments. Pergolas not only make your patio look nice, but they serve a very useful purpose as well. It'll be much more inviting to sit in the patio during the heat of the day when it's shaded. My husband and I have actually been looking to get one installed this summer. Hopefully we'll be able to get it put in soon! Good luck to you, Mike! http://www.desertsunpatios.com/pergolas_and_hybrid_pergolas.html

Mike K. поблагодарил(а): Zoe Kendrick
  • DYH

I purchased a house with a large deck that is more like a bridge, since the basement access is between the house side and the deck. Is it possible to have a carpenter retrofit a pergola to an existing deck? I need shade and a sense of enclosure! Thanks

Mike K. поблагодарил(а): DYH
  • PRO
    Shade Outdoor Living Solutions

Shade is the way to go! We always recommend staying cool especially fighting off at least some of the harmful UV rays when possible. Check out the Arcadia opening/closing louvered roof when you get a chance! Arcadia is the strongest pergola around and is also the most customizable, from LED lights to ceiling fans, to size and versatility! Check us out! We would love to help answer some of your questions!

Mike K. поблагодарил(а): Shade Outdoor Living Solutions
  • mdlutsky

I would definitely recommend adding the pergola. I feel like permanent structures like that add character to your space, and you won't have to deal with setting anything up/taking it down.

Mike K. поблагодарил(а): mdlutsky
  • mdlutsky

6616, what style pergola did you go with? I'm thinking of getting a wooden one, similar to this but with more slats: http://srpshelter.com/products/custom-pergola-3 but I'm not sure what would look best over my deck. Thanks!

Mike K. поблагодарил(а): mdlutsky
Sponsored