Houzz Logo Print
sharynr

Bare walls - need help!

Sharyn
Год(а)/Лет назад: 11
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 11
I'm finally done painting my formal dining room. But I am left with bare walls. The room is 15x13. 9' ceilings. Wall color is BM-Wedgewood Grey, ceiling accent color is BM-Atmospheric, trim is white. Chandelier is brushed nickle. I need something on the main large wall as well as between the china cabinet. Should I use a large mirror or artwork? Collage or 1 large piece? Window coverings are being made from my profile picture icon fabric. The fake plant is going, forgot to remove it before pics were taken. What about something on the floor, vase with twigs or something for interest?

Комментарии: 61

• janishill
    No valance. Is the fabric you posted the fabric you are using in the dining room?

What I would do is add a border with the trim going around the edges. 1 to 2 inches wide.
    Image is to give you the idea of how I envision them,
  • Sharyn
    Автор
    I'll use the advice on the curtains. No valance, but will add my inspiration fabric (pictured) to the panels.
    As far as the furniture goes, I inherited this set from my parents and can't part with it. I know it is too small for the room. I am looking for a matching serving table from American Drew Mfg, but they are quite pricey. Hopefully the serving table will fill in the spaciousness.

Another question: Is the table placement correct or should I turn it the other way? Run it lengthwise to the room. I like it the way it is though, just wondering.
  • A Ritts
    Yes - the table and chairs would look better turned the other direction.
  • Sharyn
    Автор
    In regards to the chandelier. My aunt has offered me her crystal chandelier. It has a value of $5K. The problem is that 1) it is brass/gold tone. 2) the style is very dated, ugly actually. The crystals are the value. Is there a company that can apply the crystals to a new frame?? I don't have any pictures, sorry.
    I'm planning on exchanging the current fixture with the one in the kitchen, you can see it in one of the posted pics. It is larger, so maybe that will look better.
  • Darzy
    I think a "retro" crystal chandelier would look great with your queen anne set. Take it! I bet it's not ugly at all. Well, I hope it's not. : )
  • janishill
    When you add a rug the table won't look so small.

The other chandy (brass one) looks small as well. I realize the silver one is new, so perhaps you can use it in another room. I agree that you should take your aunt's chandy. You might be surprised at how different it looks in your house. Besides...it has good memories tied to it - like the table does. Don't knock it because it is brass. If you seriously look at pricey rooms you will see a lot of brass. Wealthy people don't seem to mind brass...

I would recover the chairs (and not with your inspiration piece) add a table runner, rug, new center piece and hang pictures/platters as well as your aunt's chandy.

You will have one gorgeous room!
  • mainstreetschool
    Take the Chandy! My house has an antique, crystal Chandy and sconces that go with the house. Not my style, but need to stay with the house. The brass is as universal and brings out the yellow in your fabric.
    You can find used pieces of furniture to go with your furniture without purchasing the exact brand of your family heirlooms. The mix will look like you have built the room over years with treasured furnishings.
    Platters and plates on the long wall would look great! Add some plants for natural green color.
  • Carrie
    I would get a pro to paint your aunt's chandelier in an antique white. I wouldn't do a floor vase as your rooms are quite "wood heavy". You also have too many smaller accessories (the blue placemats, the glass vases with the glass beads etc. They don't match the blue on the wall very well and are too light in scale. Opt for more some larger pieces on your stand and centerpiece. Use white candles, gray woods, pale greens and pale aquas. Your tea cup painting is a little dated, so you may want to exchange that out.
  • Darzy
    Yes, speaking of the placemats...I think placemats are a bit too informal for your pretty formal table. I'd opt for pretty round chargers instead. Silver, or gold, depending on the new chandelier.
    Gilt Charger, Silver · Еще
  • Sharyn
    Автор
    Been shopping all day for artwork and plates - no luck. Nothing in this room accessory wise is permanent. I just finished painting and threw the room back together just to take the pics. But I love the ideas, keep them coming. THX!!
  • PRO
    Independent Certified Kitchen and Bath Designer
    Great color! Have you thought about stenciling a large pattern with curves?
  • PRO
    San Antonio Murals
    I like Barb's idea... it's the first thing I thought of, or hand-painting something gorgeous, similar to Gracie wallpapers. But that's probably beyond the scope of this project! ;) I'll add my voice to the chorus to see if you can use your aunt's chandelier. And a rug will help greatly, when you get it!
  • Darzy
    hmmmm, maybe use the chargers as art?
  • auntagatha
    Very lovely room. Love the colors. Can you put a large gold framed mirror, preferably round with a wide frame, across from the window? Honestly, I would put the old chandelier back in the dining room, paint it an antique gold and add shades in white and lower it to no more than 36 inches above the table (33 inches is even better). As for the blank wall, I would try a three-panel art piece. I think it is posters.com or art.com that carries tryptics. Frame these in gold and center on that wall. You might try some large antique brass candle sconces with pillar candles on either side of the hutch. I would remove the etagere altogether. The chairs I would do in a stripe to coordinate with the curtains. Don't forget to hang the curtains at the ceiling and at least 12 inches past the window frame on each side. The curtains should cover only the window's side trim. Would love to see pictures when you have completed the room.
  • Sharyn
    Автор
    Found this artwork online, like the colors but too modern?? I prefer a little bit of wow factor, something unexpected. Just because I have the queen anne furniture am I stuck in a traditional setting? Can't I jazz it up a bit??
  • amandashepherd
    You may have to choose between the print and your paint color. The print is brilliant.
  • PRO
    Alexei Rebrov Art
    Considering blue walls I would suggest soft impressionistic prints from this collection: http://alexeirebrov.com/collections/impressionism
    Or alternatively more energetic images from Light collection ( I attached one)
    Please let me know if you like any image from my store alexeirebrov.com or portfolio site arebrov.com and I will make a render with that image on your wall.
  • PRO
    Alexei Rebrov Art
    I looked up wedgewood grey and its not blue at all as I thought first ;) .
  • jannielee
    You have the bones of a beautiful room. I feel like texture is one thing that is sorely missing. The ceiling height drapes and rug will go a long way to warm up your room. If you add the printed fabric to solid panels, I'd say add it to the bottom and let your art handle any print on the upper walls.

I agree that another substantial case piece would be nice in the room particularly if it does not match the Queen Ann set. Consider a painted sideboard to mix things up and help the room feel less predictable.

Your etagere could use some weighty items like a stack of your nicest cookbooks or art books, a large pewter or porcelain bowl and a stack of linen napkins, a large piece of faux coral. Don't be afraid to pull a stack of salad plates and some silver out of your china cabinet and display it ready for use from your etagere.

The room should have some natural elements whether it's a bundle of lavender on a sideboard or a large bowl (or huge glass vase) filled with lemons or artichokes (faux fruits and veggies are quite convincing these days). A large vase full of greens and or bare branches can add texture, and an unexpected natural element on your sideboard or dining table.

Botanicals and fruit prints would look beautiful in a dining room just as the platter collection would. You could also consider hanging a tray or trays on your walls as well. I have a real love of trays in various materials and finishes. One of those would look great on your table or on your etagere as well. Keep your eyes open as well as your mind. Some of my favorite trays have come from antique stores and some from Target and Pier 1 Imports.

I'd love to see more photos as the room matures. Good luck.
  • Stephanie Wiggins
    WOW! All you guys are great at helping her (Sharyn) with her questions. What a team!
  • Sharyn
    Автор
    @jannilee "The ceiling height drapes and rug will go a long way to warm up your room. If you add the printed fabric to solid panels, I'd say add it to the bottom and let your art handle any print on the upper walls." YES!!! Thank you..I can do that and will !!!
    Also, love your suggestions for adding natural elements. I just hope I don't make it look cluttered and out of sorts. keep it simple right? The napkin idea is so simple yet brilliant - it will add some warmth and coziness.
    @Alexei: Wow - your work is awesome. I started with BM wedgewood grey and shaded it more grey for more depth. I love how the color changes throughout the day as the lighting changes.
    I also used this same color in the kitchen, against white cabinets. I accented with silver, blue and white accessories. I have one accessorie of orange, for a little pop. When I get tired of it, I can simply change it out. I have this poster print (36x36) that I am unsure of where to place it. But thats for another thread.
  • Sharyn
    Автор
    oops..forgot to attach pictures
  • jannielee
    Sharyn, you definitely want to keep things simple, but for a room as traditional as yours I wouldn't be minimalist. Minimalist + Queen Ann = stark/unfinished/stiff. You're goal should be to add warmth and texture without clutter. You want to put your signature in the room with things you love. take pictures after you add design elements to give you perspective. It will help you decide what you still need and when you have enough.
  • PRO
    Mirror Windows
    White 9 pane Mirror Windows would match your trim and add a feeling of space and elegance...
  • Judit
    Large plants and a nice framed mirror!
  • Darzy
    I like deco's suggestion of themed print. How about a set of 4...like this photo. Or two large prints, or 3 medium size prints horizontally? You could even make your own botanical art with glass frames.

Construction/Full Design · Еще
  • onthefence
    Sharyn - can I ask where you found that large Tulip? Is that the poster print you spoke of? If you don't recall, can you tell me the artist name on it? I absolutely love that!

Thank you!
  • PRO
    Alexei Rebrov Art
    I like the color you chose for the wall. Any bright art will look great on it. I attached another sample
  • PRO
    Alexei Rebrov Art
  • Darlene Rantala
    i love your colors. i work as a consultant for a BM store, fun, i agree with alot of your comments above. a chandelier would certainly give the room a bit more elegance, yes to the tablecloth rather than placemats, be careful on your pics next to the cabinet. there is alot to look at the cabinet so i feel a larger piece of artwork, just one, would like easier on the eyes.i would certainly keep the top of the cabinet free of eye catching items....simple lines, less distractions for a dining area. and an area rug--wonderful idea, really defines the space and keeps it cozy. the pattern above is very nice...hoep it all works well for you :)
  • roncatron
    Sharyn, I love the fabric. Where did you purchase?
    Thanks,
    Becky
  • PRO
    Danlar Lighting
    Sharyn, Your light fixture is too informal for the space and looks too small as well. You don't necessarily have to go with a nickel finish...if you use a chandelier that's not too heavy, you can use a darker finish. Perhaps something with rock crystal or an almond color crystal as opposed to clear.

I used to have the exact same furniture! I painted an alternating flat/gloss stripe pattern on the walls that gave an air of formality without being overstated. Stripes were about 8 - 9 inches wide.
  • ejmaresko
    You have a wonderful starting point. What I see that the space needs is warmth and something to show that your family lives there. I would mix it up a bit, to make it less formal and more inviting. On the etagere I would showcase some of your favorite family photos and books. Make sure to mix up the shapes and textures of your objects to add interest. On your dining table, I would replace the items with one large, low, rectangular bowl...maybe even a primitive piece. You can fill it with a collection of faux fruit or balls...made of glass, wood, etc. If you keep your chandelier, you can add touches of the silver accents throughout the room.
    On top of your cabinet, I would replace the greens with baskets, either one large or several varying shapes and sizes. You could try the greens in one of them, but baskets work well by themselves. As far as pictures/artwork on the walls, I would start with something you love and work off of it. You may even have something in your home already. One of the biggest issues of picture placement, is placing it too high....and the artwork being too small for the space.

All in all the room should be a reflection of what makes you feel good. I always have to bring EVERYTHING in and just try it out. Try popping a little color into your china cabinet. A rug will anchor your room and add warmth also.
  • jayce3
    I love the blue flower print! Can you tell me where you found it please?
  • pebblebeachcottage
    This has been a wonderful thread to read! Most responses really listening to the poster and working with her concerns. I think we all look forward to some after - or at least "on the way" pics!
  • PRO
    User
    Painting the frame on your aunts chandelier is an excellent idea, if the crystal drops have gold pins you can order new silver pins as well at any reputable lighting store as well as get a new piece of chain so it all matches the new color, the pins come in silver and bronze as well as gold so when you are done it should look brand new!
  • PRO
    Uppercase Living Independent Demonstrator
    Uppercase Living is PERFECT for bare walls! Uppercase Living offers you a decorative way to make your space a reflection of the unique individual you are. Whether you identify with a deeply motivational thought, a beautiful embellishment, a bold image, or a combination of these, Uppercase Living® expressions let you be who you are and lets you express that uniqueness in your surroundings. http://www.WhenWallsTalk.com Theresa Ferrari, Uppercase Living Independent Demonstrator
  • anitajoyce
    Love the wall color. It is very inviting. Wow, my mom has this same china cabinet. You can add a big picture or a grouping of pictures since the wall is long. A rug would definitely be nice for the hardwood floors. I would remove the placemats and the other things from the ttable. The room looks too elegant for those things. Place a nice table runner on top of the table along with a vase of flowers and 2-3 candles, or 2-3 candles and a small live plant.
  • Sharyn
    Автор
    @roncatron Becky : The fabric is a Christopher Lowell brand called Glacier. I purchased it from Joann fabrics. If you dont have a store near you, they also sell it online as well as a swatch.
  • Sharyn
    Автор
    @onthefence: The poster was purchased from GreatBigCanvas.com It is called Dancing Colors II
    Item #1051656 By: Lisa Audit Many sizes and framing options are available. It also has a sister print.
  • Sharyn
    Автор
    @Jayce: The blue water color print is called marthe - lily II from All posters.com
  • onthefence
    Sharyn - thanks so much! I love tulips.
  • PRO
    Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
    Hi there. I'd consider large prints on the long wall beside the draperies and fill that wall with
    them. Then long narrow mirrors or sconces on either side of the buffet.
  • PRO
    Like these or less and larger
  • PRO
    Sconces
  • PRO
    A pretty chandelier with some crystal would look beautiful in a formal room. It should sit between 20 and 32" above the table so take that into consideration when purchasing or swapping the new fixture.
    It should be approximately 6 inches in from each side of the table. These are general guidelines not "written in stone" but when followed you get a chandelier that looks proportionate for the space it's in.

For the table, I agree - remove the placemats unless you need to use them, or use a beautiful runner. The balance with the accessories is off. Either use one nice bowl, either flat or elevated in the centre or a larger piece in the centre with smaller pieces on either side. Not so high in the centre that it competes with the chandelier. If you want to use it when dining consider that you want everyone to be able to see "over' it :-)
  • Margaret Bogdan
    I would add some molding to the upper and lower sections of the wall, I love the colors you are using!
  • PRO
    Terri Bahun
    I am a professional photog, just renovated my dining room and painted it with Benj Moore Buxton Blue, and have space to manage on my walls:) we have the same quandry! I am not a decorator!
    I work with all kinds of art and options to present it: gallery wraps, custom size Thinwraps, clusters, framed art, the options are endless (and overwhelming!).
    First step should be to decide what colors you want to introduce in your wall art. This is where you may have a little fun!
    For mine I chose black and white gallery wraps sized for the walls, not off-the-shelf sizes! Then I used frames prints for the skinny spaces of some art my son brought me from a trip to Africa- thereby introducing some fun, bold colors that I took into my candlesticks and extra accessories.
    I can help you decide what sizes of art, shapes, configurations, collages you want. I have software to sample looks before committing.
    Heres my art website:
    http://tbvisualcommunicatio.photoshelter.com/
    You can contact me there. I can send you some sample 'looks'.
    My pinterest board , 'Wall- Display ideas' also might help you.
    Good luck!
  • cyn222
    I do one large print for impact. But then I'm more a minimalistic person.
  • Sharyn
    Автор
    @Carolyn - awesome job with the visuals. Thank you.
    @Terri - I'll check out your site. Thx!!