Houzz Logo Print

Japanese garden

John garnett
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
When laying a dry Japanese river how deep do you lay the pebbles please ,I am designing my own Japanese garden and I need advice on many things, I have just started to level my back garden thank you
Grace Design Associates · Еще

Комментарии: 5

• PRO
    Rhino Rock llp
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

Hi John, when making a dry stream you can lay pebbles to any depth really. If you wanted to lay fewer cobbles you could bed them into cement so that they remain in the original place that you put them. Alternatively you could use smaller diameter pebbles and vary the depths slightly to give the impression of movement down the stream.

John garnett поблагодарил(а): Rhino Rock llp
  • PRO
    ann balmforth GARDEN DESIGNS

It looks lovely. Which moss did you use on the side of the stream?

• PRO
    Rhino Rock llp

Hi Ann, Moss as found in Japan doesn't suit the English climate. To cut a long story short our summers are not humid enough. We would recommend two alternatives. 1). Sagina subulata, this is available in dark green or light green varieties, is mound forming and both have tiny white flowers in the summer. 2). Sedum matting, this is sold on rolls and is laid like turf. The sedum is shown in the photo below.

Modern Japanese Garden at Design Studio · Еще

• PRO
    Sam Butler Garden Design

Sagina subulata

• PRO
    ann balmforth GARDEN DESIGNS

Ah that explains it. Last year I trialed sheet (Hypnum) and cushion (Leucobrynum) mosses in my garden but unsuccessfully as I have alkaline chalk and really they prefer acidic clay :-( Also my puppy thought moss was a great plaything! However, we do have moss growing between trees along a nearby north-facing riverbank which I will try to identify.