Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_em

Color and cosmetic changes to improve this house?

Stephanie Emmert
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9

The house is even more green in person...help! I was thinking maybe painting light gray and adding white trim, replacing roof with something more modern (but what?) Thanks!

Комментарии: 65

• PRO
    Kemora Landscapes

I think by adding a few structural shrubs this would soften the house. With all the hard edges of the hardscape, brick, and siding, there needs to be something to break it up! Even by adding a few structural shrubs in the middle of your house, in front of the brick, these would soften all the hard edges. Plant some blooming shrubs and some evergreen as well to balance/have winter interest. Good luck!

• diyer59

Nice home! First, take into consideration the brick--some colors don't go with the earthy tones. Second, I think changing out the old windows would update the look quite a bit. If you do that, the big blank space between the garage and the first window needs a window (if possible), or add a nice colorful big bush that will grow up 6 ft. tall when mature. Third, adding a complementary door color is so important--it's the focal point. Always take into consideration a colored roof too when picking house and door colors--you don't want them to clash.

Landscaping makes a yard stand out more, bare areas around the foundation must be filled in and not seen from the street. Again, once you pick your house and door colors, then bring in plants that will complement those colors. Too often, people buy tiny plants and then they'll wait years and years before a completed look is attained. Go for good sized plants, nothing under 5 gallons unless you want pops of seasonal flower color in places. If you don't have a lot of time (or a green thumb) be sure to pick plants that don't require high maintenance (pruning, spraying, etc.).

• chime1

A stroll through Houzz "Modern Mid Century Exteriors" offers wonderful examples of these homes and landscapes.

• libradesigneye

Do you have to replace the roof? That is usually about $20,000 - $25,000 that shouldn't be spent until you have to - you can't get it back or take it with you, and that can really be put to use to make the interiors or landscape areas wonderful. Heck, buy art that you can take with you.

There are many paint schemes that wouldn't be so green that would work well with this roof. Even some really contemporary ones using charcoal . . . but a warm charcoal. . .

• ebc3

Hi! For fun I went on Sherwin Williams color visualizer and quickly "painted" your house. Because you mentioned cosmetic changes I decided to leave the roof and brick the current color. They coordinated your "reds" with Garrett Gray. Really great colors together. I "painted the garage door the same color. I thought a Jasper Green front door looked subtle but very nice. The storm plus door set up you have is not very attractive. Perhaps that might be a good place to spend some money. Kept the light trim. The roof seems expensive to replace if you don't need to.
    Of course these colors won't look the same on your house and you would have to try samples to see, but I believe you could make a wonderful change for not "too" much money by just painting and replacing the door. Check the Visualizer out. It's fun and free.

• Stephanie Emmert
    Автор
    Thank you everyone! Teresal60 I love that color scheme. I do want to do a metal roof when the roof needs to be replaced. The backyard of the house is a gorgeous lake view so I would likely forgo seating in the front but do think an inviting walkway would make a big difference. I would love to add a porch and look forward to hearing your ideas!
  • Stephanie Emmert
    Автор
    And yes, removal of screen and changing front door are a must!
  • mrchukls

Might even consider a large bay window to let light into what I assume is the living area. That would give visual appeal as well.

• sacapuntaslapioz

• melissacarolnielsen
    Hi grey is perfect also maybe great wash the brick ,you can put white board the trim around windows 1-2 inches thick ,maybe test one window first to see what looks best from distance
  • PRO
    PaintColorHelp.com Dallas

I'm cool with the roof, actually. Unless it just needs replacing. I like your idea of a gray body - I'd look at something darker than the current siding color, but still a bit lighter than the brick. Maybe SW 7043 Worldly Gray or 7044 Amazing Gray, or Ben Moore Revere Pewter. Trim I would do just one shade darker than the siding because the house is already low and long, don't really want to cut it up anymore. Front door: dark charcoal like Ben Moore Iron Mountain. And you might think this is crazy, but honestly I would match the orange brick color and paint the garage door that shade.

• alsagal

Sorry, I suspect that an orange garage door might attract more attention than white.

• damndude

This house will never be a cohesive whole. Use that to your advantage and break it up into two volumes. Paint the volume including the entry and garage a dark color. I mean dark like black, charcoal or that georgian green color which is almost black. Paint the walls and garage door that dark color. Then spend a little money and construct a pergola type walkway in red cedar from the garage to the entry. Use at least three espalier-plantings against the wall between the garage and window. Replace the front door with a red cedar door. The left two story section could then be painted a bright persimmon or cobalt blue. Of course it would be helpful to tidy things up with a crisp new roof like standing seam tin, but that can be budgeted down the road if it is still performing well. Good luck. You'll have fun turning that into a swan. Don't be shy.

• grahamrw

When I look at your house I see a Tuscan style. The hip roof really lends itself to this. Check out "European French Inspired" under Mediterranean Style Exteriors. Color schemes would work well with the roof tones you have. Add more substantial trim around the windows, distress or paint the brick in tones that will complement a neutral house color.

1. Buy a new front door. It will make a huge difference.
    2. Paint the brick and garage door the same color.
    If you do not want to paint brick, paint the garage to match the
    house color.
    3. The copper trellis is a great idea! It need to fill the space,use 2.
    Add a vine that is an evergreen.
    4. Do not add a metal roof unless you live on the lake or at the beach. They are tacky in a neighborhood.
    These are simple fixes that will make a big difference.
  • PRO
    Cleveland Designs

Pick up a book by Atomic Ranch, or start with their latest magazine, and look at Mid-Century Modern Homes on line to get your inspiration. Go Modern you will be glad you did if you like that style. I would put on a dark gray shingle roof, paint the entire house white, add a new garage door, many options in modern styles, paint your front door a teal blue. There are several homes online like yours, go there with a good Modern idea book and make your home stand out on your street, just be careful, it's all in the details. Keep it simple.

• libradesigneye

ps - metal roofs are not tacky in a neighborhood - they are specific to a few certain architectural styles - especially contemporary or modern homes. this house could easily go "atomic" and carry a metal roof off

tuscany however, is far away . .. it could be done but the overall shape of the house is far from a tuscan farmhouse . . the details that make a tuscan farmhouse (inside and out) are not here: timbering, stucco, tile roof, divided light casements

There are some great examples on houzz of people taking split levels towards a craftsman direction with a new entry - craftsman is not far from ranch though again the specific details of windows and trim would require significant investment and probably some construction of a new entry gable and porch . .

For a cosmetic only solution - contemporary / atomic ranch is the way to go. I would suggest something fun and radical - a deep warm charcoal for all the siding - leave the brown roof and the brick wall, paint the garage door a third shade - olive gray like gloucester sage . olive trim and entry door - voila - atomic ranch. . . search houzz for black exterior houses . . it is amazing what a radical paint color can do . . for your house .. .bm black bean soup and bm gloucester sage . . great with the terracotta brick / chimney / roof as is ..

• Stephanie Emmert
    Автор

you guys have great ideas! However...I am worried atomic ranch is just not my style. I will delve a little deeper into it though :) Obviously I want to do this house justice. @damndude, I think what you are suggesting sounds awesome, can you direct me to some examples? I am lacking a creative brain!

• Stephanie Emmert
    Автор

okay I am totally digging black/charcoal houses. Wow! Maybe adding either a copper trellis to the open spaces or wood like the example i posted?

California Street · Еще

• damndude

Steph beautiful backyard have a look at the split levels on this website http://thedecorologist.com/should-you-paint-your-exterior-brick/. I have no skin in that game just a reference. Be sure to scroll down to see a scenario similar to what I suggested. A dark bodied house appears smaller because there a fewer shadows. They haven't been as bold on the second color as I suggested. If you paint that entry level black or charcoal you can then buy some quarts of different colors to test on the two floor part. I'm very excited for your project and am confident in my suggestions.

• housegal200

Your backyard setting is stunning--like a Thomas Kinkaid painting only not all fakey :) It almost doesn't matter what the front looks like. I do like that brown cottage upthread with the reddish roof knowing you have this spectacular setting. But deep charcoal with cedar red accents would be great, too.

I hope you don't paint the brick; it adds texture and color. You can enhance it with a brick walkway, great door. You have a brick chimney as well, so you'd lose that connection if you paint the brick.

• PRO
    Glenn George

paint all siding, brick ,and overhead door same color.(maybe a light taupe with a touch of gold in it).do not pain the trim white,but paint it the same color as the house but toned down or up.replace front door and paint it a deep color.

• PRO
    A & C Kitchens

I would replace the brick with stacked stone. Add stacked stone on the other side of the garage. The entire wall to the left with 3 small windows in stacked stone.... Pull a nice light tone from the stacked stones out for the over all color of the rest of the house and the deeper tone color for the garage door, front door and trim. If the roof needs to be replaced then definitely go with the metal roofs, they last forever and come in many color choices.

• PRO
    Oor Studios
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 9

I threw this together, you can take what ideas you want. Instead of the silly bushes under the front window (that I photoshopped in) I'd probably do some trellis or some funky raised beds with a pathway cutting between them or something.

You had said yourself you'd do some funky copper trellis and I totally agree, I'd put that in place of my stupid bushes under the window. :P

• lindamrutter

I agree with the light gray/white trim/charcoal roof; but I would paint the indent lower section on the left side, the inset around your front door and the garage 1 to 2 shades darker grey then at some pop of color with flower pots near the front door and on either side of the garage in a blue (turquoise is my favorite) or soft yellow.

• Susan Sease
    An easy and quick fix would be to paint the siding and brick the same color. The red brick really seems to make the front feel choppy. I also think painting the garage doors a similar shade as the house (if not the same) would help take the focus off of it, maybe add a trellis over it?
  • Jim Parfitt

If you want to change the color go ahead but the biggest problem is there is no "visible" entrance. It is lost i the expanse of the house. The eye follows the driveway but nothing is there to draw the eye to the entrance. Where is the curb appeal? We tend to move our eyes to the right so the eye stays with the garage. I would buy a wall art piece to hang on the wall next to the garage to start drawing the eye left. Then do a little landscaping. Remove the dying shrub by the door. and plant taller plants/shrubs on both sides of the door if possible. If not the put a taller shrub at the left end of the house. Take the corner of the lawn by the walkway and garage and put a triangular planting bed. Plant annuals and perennials in it. Think color. You can even put some pots/ containers in it to add visual interest. Look at a some being a moderate height 3-4' but nothing taller. The taller plants will break up the brick look from the curb. Overall the planting bed will help direct a visitor to the front entrance.

• darcy17

Hold the paint, go with SHINGLES in a natural protective stain, new arts and crafts garage and entry doors and down the line when you need a new roof, green metal.

• vintage1953
    how about window boxes under the smaller windows to give them length and interest.
  • besthouseontheblock
    A few changes can make a huge difference here. I did a similar home and added dimension to the front with a low profile seating wall and front patio. Additionally, I added a 4' wide side walk to the front door which really draws the eyes in and welcomes guests to the front door. Your house has very similar proportions and would look great with these features! I attached a couple of before pictures to see the change, but I only really have good "after" ones. Good luck!
  • cellgirl

Here are some changes we made to our front, now it is very low maintenance, as well as adding texture to the front of the house. As you can see, I have switched out plants over the years as well.

• mindshift

The first thought I had about this house was—is this the front or back of the house? The reasons were 1.) the door looks more like a back door, and 2.) the downspout and dryer vent between the garage door and the window are not usually in the middle of a front wall. I realize it is a storm door over the main door, but the style says back door. If this is an entry hall that needs natural light, you could put in a door with a single glass pane at the top. A full glass storm door might also allow your current main door to show through, but painting the door so it stands out will also point out your front door.

Hiding utilitarian necessities is harder, but adding decorative lattice panels starting next to the downspout and continuing towards the garage might work. Screw vertical lath to the siding above the brick work. The lath should be thick enough to hold the lattice above the vent and the brick work. Screw the decorative lattice to the lath so it is hidden and the lattice appears to float over the siding. Using screws allows the panels to be removed to access the siding.

Definitely paint the brick work to match the siding. It's current color makes it a focal point that detracts from the rest of the facade. Below is the original photo with 3 variations. Click on it to see the full photo. I like the middle variation the best.

• PRO
    Owling Dog

Hi there. I would replace your shingles with clapboards for interest and to bring it up to date. Consider earth tones and match the roof with your clapboards. Also, replace your double-wide garage door with a two-door style to break up that wide gap of an entrance. Another change you might consider is narrowing the 'entrance-only' to your driveway. Keep the width of it halfway up, of course, so you you can park cars or enter two cars into the garage. Where the wide entrance to your driveway used to be, use some plantings and a light post for warmth. Your driveway would dress up the front of the house. Consider painting that small brick area next to the garage to match the house/roof and make the house-front more seamless. :)

• PRO
    Colorsmith

absolutely the colors need to work with the roof-if you go charcoal, might be a problem with it as is....so I would get an estimate for the roof-it may not be as much as you think to go a darker more neutral color. Also get the raingutter people out-to give an estimate to reroute that unfortunately placed downspout.

The roof should finish off the rest of the house-"cap it" if you will, so don't ignore it. The darker neutrals are actually on their way out here, (it does make a house get hot, and the paint weathers faster) A mid neutral-anything of the grayish greens, or warmer neutrals would look good set in to all of your wonderful greenery. (and with existing roof) I agree get a new fab front door, and paint it a rich color. and you might end up painting out the bricks, maybe they, and the foundation on the left (below the clapboard) could be a deeper color. A great deep red door works great w/neutral house.

If you can change the roof, and you really want to go bold, consider an aubergine, or soft rusty red on the clapboard-and do a charcoal on the roof if possible (is keeping the house cool a problem?) Use a "dirty" white for your trims so they don't pop too much. and I like your garage door-painting the clapboard a great color-(paint the garage door one shade deeper, and it will go with) will tie everything together-so go get some paint samples and have fun!!

• lhancock3

paint it gray sort of medium not dark, trim in off white and black accents like shutters

• lhancock3

change the Roof to Black, also change the Door. Increase the size of the windows they are too small for the size of the house.You may want to add an entry way also.

• marynaz

Color is a personal choice but whatever you go with I agree with those who say do garage door same or similar color or darker or anything but white. Then I would do something with that expanse of wall; I like the espalier idea. Whatever you do there will make a big difference. I suspect that is your kitchen window in the front bc of roof vent...if not i would put in bigger window... not necessarily wider...just more glass on bottom. The downspout in middle of house concerns me bc rain water must puddle there and snow melt must freeze in winter. Your backyard view is just spectacular!

• User

Lots of great suggestions here. If the roof is in good shape I would work with it like the current bricks. On my computer screen both read a terracotta or red and if such is the case, IMHO a 'gray' would look superb but be careful of its undertone. (i.e: Blue, Green, Blue\-Green or Violet). In summary; if you decide on a gray that appeals to you use it for the house body but purchase a small can of it and have it '1/4 or 1/2 cut' which will make it lighter and see how it works for the trim and/or garage doors.

P.S: I'm visualizing a dark gray on the body of the house with the lighter colour on the trim and garage doors plus a front door with a pop of colour.

• Scott King

It's a real nice house. Get rid of the screen door/storm door...that little bit will improve the look of your house 10 fold.

• Patrick Lewis

What about this option?

• PRO
    Owling Dog

Voxtop - I love it! But, still - the 'landing strip' driveway has to go. :)

• Stephanie Emmert
    Автор

wow voxtop, that is amazing!

• damndude

That is like a different house. What kind of budget are you working with Stephanie?

• potchiemagoodleberry

I'd love to see you go gray or taupe and add wider moldings around the doors/windows painted white....would look so sharp and modern!

• PRO
    Eileen Kenah- Keller Williams Experience

I have similar red brick on my home. I changed my siding to light gray and put up blue shutters. I love it. I also have a gray roof.. I love it. Don't paint the brick. It adds a nice accent.

• PRO

Before and after

• PRO

Another angle before and after

• Stephanie Emmert
    Автор

RE: budget--the inside needs updating, specifically the kitchen so an outside budget is small at the moment. If we are really inspired by a certain design we will just save up for awhile. I have no idea how expensive exterior changes are, so i'd say (not including roof), 20k?

• damndude

was the one who suggested the charcoal paint somewhat earlier, and I stick by that suggestion. A house with large volumes like yours appear smaller when a significant portion is painted dark. The green landscaping steps to the front and the house recedes. This idea probably means you do not contrast the trim on the portion you paint dark, On the contrary you would likely want to paint the existing frames the same dark color. Are the green portions painted wood or siding (vinyl or aluminum)? With 20k you can do some great cosmetic things to make you proud to drive up in your driveway but replacing windows and building additions which have to be tied into the existing structure could get expensive. A house that has been around more than 15years often has issues that present themselves as necessary work when you go in deeper than the surface. I am an architect/carpenter in Westchester County and New York City. I don't know where you are located but that will have some effect on how far your budget will go. Good luck. Your house really initiated a great conversation with more ideas than you can probably digest at the the moment.