Houzz Logo Print
larahappyhome

Using paint to give our home a facelift

larahappyhome
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
This is a shot of our facade. I'm wondering if we should render the bottom and paint all the one colour or use different tones. We're really new to this!

Комментарии: 5

• Sian Sampey
    May I suggest painting the top section & trim / rails etc first then decide if you want to cover the bricks?
    Personally I don't mind the bricks.
    I think it would look amazing if you did the top half & the railing posts in a light or mid colour (for example grey) then do the railing top & trim like guttering in a darker colour (eg charcoal) & cover the steps in a new tile/ paver in the same darker colour as the trim.

If you do go for a render on the bottom half the most common style is darker on the bottom. But each to his own!
  • PRO
    Contemporary Redesigns
    Your home looks very much like ours. Hardiplank upstairs and brick downstairs. We are rendering the bricks and painting the house all the same colour, probably a mid grey. We are framing the windows with wide trim painted white. We have a small concrete verandah across the front which we will paint in a darker grey as it is only a small area.
  • Zanners B
    Unless it's really bad, I hate it when the render or paint over bricks.
    With rendoring you get discolouration and water marks after a few years as they tend to be light colours
  • PRO
    QPaint
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

Keeping a similar colour to the bricks will help tie the house together and make it look taller. Rendering the bricks is also a good idea, but for $35-45.00 per sqm rendered and painted, it often puts people off. A neutral colour like Dulux Hog Bristle for the boards is a safe bet, with Colorbond Jasper (brown) or Colorbond Woodland Grey (drk grey) for the fascia and gutters as well as the top of the handrail will be a good safe bet. White for the metal slats of the handrails is good. Hope this helps.

• User
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

Try washing down the bricks first. See if that helps.