Houzz Logo Print
buckleup2000

Do you have a security door?

Luke Buckle
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
Many Aussie houses have a security door or grille.

Maybe yours an old clanger that makes an enormous bang whenever it closes, or it could be an elegant, wrought iron number that matches the style of your home.

Tell us about it - including how you feel about it - and post a photo if you can!

Комментарии: 18

• Barbara Dunstan
    Hi Luke,
    I have an ulterior motive for my post actually, as I'm looking forward to seeing everyone elses security doors, as I'll be looking for something nice for all my exit doors, of which I have 5.
    Living in the country, we almost always have a nice evening breeze even after a very hot day, so I want to be able to safely leave any of the doors open at night to cool the home.
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • Barbara Dunstan
    @elskerdesign,
    Oh that cracks me up ha-ha!!!!
    I was expecting a nice door, drats!!!
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • PRO
    elsker design
    Haha sorry Barbara!!
  • Barbara Dunstan
    @elskerdesign,
    I too have a dog but she would tell a stranger if she could talk but her sign language is quite clear, tail way, ears down etc... "welcome come in, mums all alone" but hubbys dog, a heeler, would say "what part do you want bit"??
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • PRO
    elsker design
    They sound lovely. Schultz looks scary (to those who don't know dogs) but he's just a big softie!!
  • carthiefintexas
    On my old style place, I do and got a design that means I don't have to unlock the door for small parcels (or pizza deliveries). Also when I inherited my cats, if the front door is open they can come and go as they pleased. I'd show you my actual door, but it's difficult to get a good shot.
  • Jeannie
    Years ago my front door had a glass panel in the centre of the top half which could slide back, leaving a security mesh grill through which we could get the 'Fremantle doctor' breeze through, and also be able to safely see anyone who came to the door.. I've searched the 'net', but never found another one since.
    This was a brilliant idea, and meant we didn't need anything other than the front door.

With hindsight I wish we had put in an ordinary door, and taken this one with us when we moved, but at the time we didn't know that this simple 2 in 1 front door was no longer available.
    Hope some door manufacturers read this comment - I'd be their first customer!

We also had a touchpad door lock release, and fortunately these are still available, so I've just replaced the old key operated one on our latest home- love this too.
  • PRO
    Central Glass and Aluminium
    AS a Crimsafe manufacture, there is nothing stronger for security purposes but it does not have to be an ugly duckling - you can go plain like the Crimsafe Ultimate series door or opt for a colonial insert whether it be a customer design of an off the shelf purchase to be installed within the Crimsafe security door

great looks either way + security, we have also done a vast number in colour matched timber look aluminium finishes by Knotwood and Decowood

Another consideration might be to security screen the entire verandah so nothing is required on the doors at all
  • larrywale
    I have been a security agent for over 30 years and sold every type of security door over that time. The most popular and neatest of all would have to be The Clearshield Door. It is made of perforated stainless steel that is stronger and much easier to clean than the old woven style stainless steel mesh door. Many of my customers are replacing their woven mesh doors after having them only a few years because of the dirt and corrosion that occurs with this type of door.
  • Jeannie
    Central Glass and larrywale

I still can't understand why you guys continue to promote a whole security door as well as a front door, when the front door with a security panel insert will do the same job as a front door plus another security door.
    Maybe you could explain why you both think a separate security door is the way to go?
  • PRO

I think it comes down to a personal choice, full screen, insert, no screens at all

The bigger the screen opening the larger the ability for the breeze to flow through - in Queensland it is all about cross ventilation to maximise the air flow in our homes - so I think it would depend on the location - but I think a security panel is a great solution in highrise homes most definitely

• PRO

larrywale

Obviously you are a company providing screens - to help our customers keep their screens in tip top condition we provide them with a cleaning pack as part of our installation - the fibres on the glove we provide enable a quick and easy clean on any woven mesh screen - even those that are not Crimsafe. Theses clear and care products are also available to others via our online store - great product to keep your entire aluminium windows and doors in well maintained order not just your screens. Maintenance is everything with any product

• larrywale
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
    At Clearshield we have a spray bottle of protectant/cleaner that is available if wanted but most people just wipe the product with a soft cloth as it is a perfectly smooth surface and I agree maintenance is everything on any product ,it's just that most people want to do the least possible.
    Jeannie, the reason people buy clear security doors is so that they can open the whole doorway up and when the timber door is closed it can still be seen without being obscured in WA this is a must when we have days of mid 30 degrees for weeks on end.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    @Jeannie,
    I would personally not want a security panel in my front door as living in the country, we want to be able to leave our doors open at night to get a pleasant sleep without the AC on.
    That said, I would always prefer a solid door for the winter, and have the ability to leave this door completely open in the summer after a long hot day.
    Horses for courses as Central Glass has said, like us in Victoria and in Qld, after a hot day, we can be lucky enough to get a lovely breeze.
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • jlouise31
    Can you get a security door in a plantation aluminium shutter,that slides?
  • PRO

Not that I have seen - what we could do is a plantation shutter and then use a Crimsafe build-out to attach the security screen - you need to have it so that the shutter can open and it not protrude in to the screen - the challenge I see is that there will be a fairly large gap between each door to allow them to pass each other

You might be better to look at using a commercial door section a slimline fixed louvre and then having your screen at the rear - this would allow a much better fit and also slide - but it would not be an opening type shutter

Sorry best ideas I have for now - if you need anything else or me to do a rough sketch so you can approach someone in your area let me know

Regards

Heather

• User
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

NB in this state(Vic), there is a difference between safety and security doors.