Houzz Logo Print
beccafine

Help my boring two-piece bathroom!

beccafine
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
I moved into a house with the most blah ensuite two-piece bathroom. I don't love the off-white/yellow sink and toilet but they're staying for now. ANY and ALL ideas appreciated to make it beautiful! The window needs be covered as it faces another house.

Комментарии: 7

• PRO
    Dytecture
    Consider changing the light fixture and the color of the vanity.
  • User

We can help with your bathroom. Ask a free question here, http://www.decorist.com/questions/ and our team will send you a design board and clickable shopping list. Also check out our project page for some fun inspo. Good luck!

• alwaysdesigning

For that window, I found the neatest clingy, but removable, window film in a stained glass look. You may still want to be able to swing a curtain across it for privacy as needed (at night when the room is lit), but during the day it would look so nice pulled back with a beautiful stained glass lit by the sun. I did the upper half of a window in our powder room; worked like a charm. I got Artscape brand in New Leaf, but they have lots to choose from; choose "privacy". Good luck.

• sandradclark
    That is a great idea. It can be removed if you do not like the look. I would paint the vanity to match the sink & toilet. You will be embracing the color that way. By all means hang a new light fixture. Look at Ikea LED fixtures. They last a long time (the bulbs), they run cooler than the Hollywood lights you have now, & it will update the look considerably.

Also paint the cabinet on the opposite wall to match your vanity. Okay the privacy issue is addressed, you have unified the space by painting the cabinets to match your toilet & sink. Do you have an exhaust fan in there? Is there a ceiling light? Make the stained glass window covering become the focal point of the room. Choose carefully. Something you certainly want to look at.

After it is applied to the window, turn the lights on & go outside to see what if anything can be seen through it by the neighboring house. It should be beautiful for them to look at as well. Now, if this doesn't give you the look you need, paint the room to match the vanity, cabinet, toilet & sink and you will really have a unified space. Oh, don't forget the towel bar or ring. Make sure it coordinates w/ the new light & pick up a soft color from the window covering for your towels & throw rug.
  • jhmarie

Hear are some suggestions for a simple cottage style - Some simple DIY skills necessary. Paint the bathroom pretty light blue or minty green or pretty color of your choice. Use the beadboard wallpaper and add a wainscot. Determine the hight by what gets you around light switches, towel racks (either over or under the chair rail) and looks nice. Even if you have never done wallpaper, this is an easy project. Be sure to use proper wallpaper sizing / primer on the wall. The hardest part is mitering the corners of the chair rail. If they don't come out so great - don't worry - you can fix small gaps with caulk.Tutorials for hanging breadboard wallpaper are online. Prime and paint the wallpaper and chair rail with an acrylic enamel topcoat. For the window - I don't think you need a curtain that goes all the way to the top. Consider a cafe curtain. You can even clothes pin up a piece of vintage fabric or tea towel. Paint cabinetry if you wish. Prime with Zinsser 123 - 2 coats followed by acrylic enamel topcoat.

See this blog for more info: http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2012/01/installing-beadboard-wallpaper/

Michigan farmhouse · Еще

• beccafine
    Автор
    Thank you all so much. I love the suggestions. I have already removed the cabinet above the toilet (I don't think it's necessary), the towel ring and the window covering. I am adding a frosted window adhesive and going to change the mirror and light fixture. Also the faucet and hardware but I'll do that at the end. Will post pics of the changes!