Houzz Logo Print
sunshinehouse

Extraordinary lighting design! How did you install them? Thank you!

sunshinehouse
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
Boulder Contemporary · Еще

Комментарии: 19

• PRO
    186 Lighting Design Group - Gregg Mackell
    I was involved with the design and specification, but not with the exact installation detail for this project. We typically rout/pour-in a metal channel, then mount an LED channel with a wet location strip light inside the channel. Having a good concept where you don't have any sight-line to the fixtures and having a good contractor who can make this happen are both really important. Thx.

Gregg
  • PRO

Thank you so much for the comment... Made my day :). Thx.

• Lighting Passion
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 9

Hi! We are installing exactly the concept with this floating stairs, where can we buy the metal channel? We did like this before but we stick it directly to the concrete and secure it with clips. That was when I worked in Singapore. I am installing it here in MB Canada with extreme weather temp of -50 sometimes and then -30 most days during winter.. I am just scared of cracking and etc... My tape is about -20 to -40 temp ambience... Just worried.

• PRO

Paradigm LEDs are what we used here. http://www.houzz.com/professionals/s/paradigm-led. As far as cracking, I'm not an expert on concrete, but I think you are smart factoring this into your thought process. Maybe work with the local concrete people to come up with a solution that will hold up over time. We do projects in all different climates and I usually trust the local contractors to understand the intricacies of working in their climates. Good Luck!

• Lighting Passion

Thank you for replying. t's not the concrete that is cracking... What i mean is the silicone cover of the led because of the temperature of -30 to -50

• PRO

Oh....I haven't experienced that before and I work in some very cold climates, but maybe not that cold. Sometimes you have to look at solutions that might sacrifice one thing for another. I'm not sure about the quantity, cost of electricity, etc..., but when I've had issues with cold, sometimes the solution can be to leave the fixture on during cold periods. With controls, you could tied in a temperature flag to the lights and make sure they stay on as long as the temperature is below the rated temperature of the strip. They do a good job of keeping themselves warm as long as you turn them on before the temperature becomes a problem. If you're not dealing with a lot of wattage, this could be a simple solution. If that's not an option, I'd talk with some of the manufacturers and get their take on what they would recommend.

Thx.

Gregg

• Lighting Passion

Thank you very much Gregg!!! You are awesome! The stairs is 37ft length x 4. Challenging as we need to hide the drivers as well...

• PRO
    Post a picture when it's done. Sounds cool!
  • Lighting Passion

I Will! Thank you very much!

• Lighting Passion

This is not the exterior but here's part of

the basement using dialux and 3dsmax...i also posted this in my profile...

• PRO
    Canopy Gardens

Perfection. Love it!

• whizdom23
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

Can you please tell me the type of lights that were used under the stairs and how they were installed? Thanks!!

• PRO
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

If you look at some of the answers above you can see my answers on the manufacturer and how we did the installation. Thx.

• Scott Markham
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Who is the manufacture of the strip lighting and where can i buy it?

• PRO
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Sorry for the delayed response. Look through the thread above and you will find your answer. Thx.

Gregg

• redzonelabs
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

How did you plug in the connections for each step while having them concealed? Also, where is the transformer located? Thanks in advance!

• PRO

The transformer was mounted remotely on a hidden wall on the side of the house and there were wire-chases planned into the stair design to feed from the end, but through the side of the channel thx.

• redzonelabs

This is amazing, thank you 🙏🏼