Houzz Logo Print
aquavistaglass

What is your favourite type of Glass Pool Fencing?

Aqua Vista Glass
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
For a stylish, high quality finish that is guaranteed to impress you can’t go past glass pool fencing. With many different types of installation and choice of products, there is a Glass Pool Fence to suit every backyard design.

Which one is your favourite?
Pin Fixed Glass Panels
Semi-Frameless with Aluminium Posts
Frameless with Stainless Steel Spigots

Комментарии: 18

• PRO
    Grace Chamia
    I'd rather a seamless flow from pool to garden, for instance, rather than a defined space within borders. So pin fixed glass panels get my vote!
  • myperfectadvice
    Just a thought though!
    I voted for the Frameless with S/S/S.
    But if it is to clean, would someone not see it. Could cause damage.
    I know from experience that this can fling an adult 1 m away. (Of a sparkling clean glass sliding back door). :(
    Not a good sight.
    So although the Frameless with S/S/S. looks the best, um......the Pin fixed glass panels may be safer!
  • n247080
    I'm going to say I don't like glass fencing. They feel very unsecure to me, easily broken and easily smudged and scratched. As lovely as they probably look from a person in the pool all I can imagine is people crashing into them, spilling things on them and fingers and mouths making prints on them.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
    I voted for the semi frameless, as I agree with myperfectadvice about the possibility of becoming a human projectile if you don't see the glass however, I do love the pin fixed glass panels too, actually they are all really lovely.
    Hubby and I are building and we have incorporated an indoor pool and as such need no pool fencing, as the pool is in it's own room behind three brick walls and a wall of glass with a self closing hinged door with lock located at regulation 1.5mtrs.
    It's interesting that an indoor pool cannot by law have an exit from the pool room to the outside of the home and yet no such rule exists with an outdoor pool!!
    Anyway, good forum.
  • PRO
    elsker design
    We have the frameless with spigots, as per the image in the poll we had a curved pool space that needed a solution to maximise the coping area. Not a cheap job by any means but would not have done a thing different! It is very secure, safe and importantly, aesthetically pleasing.
  • PRO
    Central Glass and Aluminium
    As a glass company, we obviously love glass fencing, but pool fencing can be so much more,

Have you seen the use of Crimsafe security mesh - check out our 2 most recent jobs

Screening the verandah meant that the pool could be built right up to the house, eliminating the need for another barrier between the pool and the home. As the balustrade screen Crimsafe met the pool certification requirements, the ends just needed to be added;

The second image was a combination of glass pool fencing panels and Crimsafe panels to achieve a very different look

The beauty with the mesh screen is that it allows the breeze to flow through - so get creative with your needs, mix and match - you dream it we make it - at Central Glass and Aluminium
  • joyzzz
    I have a glass pool fence. It looks beautiful, but I would never recommend it. It's really expensive, extremely heavy, hence difficult in high wind areas, not great for kids running in and out of gates. Cleaning is a hassle. I prefer the stainless steel wire fence option.
  • PRO
    Aqua Vista Glass
    Автор
    Great to see so many votes coming through! Looks like Frameless Glass Fencing is the favourite.

For those concerned with cleaning the glass we recommend Enduroshield Glass Treatment - check out their website - http://www.enduroshield.com/. As a licensed applicator we can apply this treatment to the panels in factory before installation. They also offer onsite applications and glass restoration for older fences in need of some TLC.
  • PRO
    Check out our on-line store if you are interested in this amazing product and prepared to tackle the DIY kit installation yourself ( http://centralglass.net.au/product/enduroshield-glass-protection/) works on so many surfaces but ideal for glass as it provides protection and cuts your cleaning time in half - the ideal option is when you purchase your glass initially, is obvious, but it is never too late to get this installed either by a licensed installer or by your own hand.
  • Kerrie Chapman
    Love the frameless, which is what we originally chose (with spigots). However, once it was up we got slammed by ex-tropical cyclone Oswald's 60-90km winds for 3 days, which really tested the fence. The fence held up ok but made terrible noises the whole time. For peace of mind, we added a thin (20mm) 316 s/s top rail all round, which has made it really strong and stable. As for keeping it clean, I find it surprisingly low maintenance. The salt from the swimming pool water certainly leaves marks but a good spray with the hose takes off 99% of it, along with the occassional go-over with the karcher squeegee. We don't have kids so grubby little paws aren't really an issue, but I can imagine the panels could be a bit of a nightmare to keep clean with those who do. We installed the pool fence ourselves (mongrel of a job, but saved ourselves quite a bit of money).
  • Kerrie Chapman
    A good reason existing pool owners may want to reconsider glass pool fencing is the latest change to the pool fence laws, coming into effect on Nov 30 this year (in Qld, anyway). Anyone who's house opens straight out into the pool area is going to have to fence off the pool from the house (houses with self-closing doors will no longer be compliant anymore). Many houses where I live have highly visible pool fences, which look fine on the outside, but now that they have completely surrounded their pool with the same fence (to comply with the new laws), their backyard looks much smaller and very cluttered. One of our neighbours, who has has a tubular pool fence around the perimeter of his backyard, has chosen to enclose the inside area around his pool with glass panels and it looks really good (seamless transition - looks hardly any different to before). Just something people may want to consider before these laws come into effect.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    Kerrie,
    I live in Victoria and my pool in completely internal, that is to say it is part of the house and not an addition to the house.
    I planned to have an external door with the required regulation lock height and seld closing mechanism.
    Hubby was dead against this door and so I agreed to have a window instead, not long after, we found out that the laws had changed and you are no longer permitted to access to an indoor pool from the outside, so it was just sheer luck that we changed the door to a window.
    Further, when we purchased the awning windows (2) with regulation restricted 10cm windouts, our building inspector tried to tell us that the windows weren't allowed and that they would have to remain shut and we were also going to have to concrete "bars" into the brickwork on the outside.
    I argued that regulation pool fences had the same 10cm restriction and after contacting the Victorian Building Commission, I have confirmation in writing, that the windows are deemed to be adequately safe and the inspector has accepted the finding.
    My access to our pool now, is only from the inside of the home obviously and if that becomes illegal, then we'll just have to sit and look at the pool longingly through the window, as there won't be any access at all ha-ha
    I'm not advocating that people argue with regulations but if I hadn't investigated my options further, who knows where I would be, having spent $1,500 on these two windows with laminated glass and how beautiful would my brickwork have looked with prisson bars attached.
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • PRO
    Hi Barbara - laws keep changing to protect people, a solution should you have installed the door would be the creative of what I would call an air lock with a pool gate as the external door way - whilst it would not be as attractive it would meet the regulation - this information might be useful to someone else - you obviously have a great solution for you
  • Barbara Dunstan
    A pool gate attached to where???.....are you suggesting a gate instead of a door, that I understand but it would be unbearable, as we would have the house filled with a chlorine odour, but a good solution if it didn't access the lounge/kitchen/dining areas!!!
    This is a pool room with access through a door into the pool room with approximately 1mtr of room from the pool wall (glass) to the edge.

It's great that everyone can have a say so that someone can get something from it.
    Cheers,
    Barbara
  • cameronfraser
    you forgot about channel glass fencing - completely invisible!
  • PRO
    Aqua Vista Glass
    Автор
    You're right Cameron! There are so many great options available these days at every stage of the pool build from tiles to shape to fencing and all aspects of the overall landscape design.
  • everton_galepacific
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

Fantastic poll! We wanted to vote for two but of course we couldn't. Fully Frameless and Semi Frameless really lift the modern elements of outdoor pool areas wouldn't you say?

Semi Frameless Fence Installation · Еще

Beaumaris · Еще