Houzz Logo Print
scoots75

Oak crown molding or white painted crown molding? would love advice

scoots75
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
Hi all the trim in my house is oak- see pic. I'd love to add a crown molding. Does it have to match or can I do one in painted white/off white? I'd like to brighten up the space with the white, but want to do what's design appropriate. Thanks!

Комментарии: 22

• PRO
    alexandragilson
    What´s the height of the ceiling ?
  • scoots75
    Автор
    hi 8 feet 3 inches
  • scoots75
    Автор
    jn344 the picture you posted is beautiful. my house is similar with all the oak built-ins and floor etc. Thank you for posting
  • scoots75
    Автор
    yes the ceiling is smooth and we are planning on changing the wall color and ceiling.
  • PRO
    Maryland Residential Design & Construction, LLC
    I would probably stick with the oak as well. Don't use something to big or it will make the room feel smaller. Be sure to finish all your trim before you install. Good luck with your project.
    scoots75 поблагодарил(а): Maryland Residential Design & Construction, LLC
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    I would do white to lift the ceiling. Crown moulding was often made from plaster that was run in place so looks best to my eye white or light
    scoots75 поблагодарил(а): Ellsworth Design Build
  • User
    Yes, I like that photo too. It wouldn't take much to get your place looking like that. You have a good base to work off of.

Good luck!
    scoots75 поблагодарил(а): User
  • scoots75
    Автор
    Thanks all for your help. Do you think I'm better off leaving it without it? Or do you think an small oak crown molding will be a nice touch. I feel the room is missing something.
  • User
    At first I thought I liked it better without but now I am not so sure. That Burns Park photo might have changed my mind. As I mentioned before, you are missing some lights. The big difference between your place and the photo is the lighting. It might be cost prohibitive to do recessed lighting but you need something.

I like your floors, I like your rug. I like the FP brick the way it is but I am not sold on the gold gilt stuff over it. Art, books, all good.

A cheerier wall color.

I would do the thin oak molding.
  • PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    I don't think there is a right or wrong answer - just what appeals most to you and, I guess, whether you see it as part of the trim or as part of the wall or ceiling. Here are a couple of pictures with oak trim and white crown molding for comparison.
    jamesthomas, LLC · Еще

Prospect Park West · Еще
  • scoots75
    Автор
    Thank you. The room does need a design over haul. I appreciate your time in sharing your thoughts. I have a designer helping with wall colors and adding more light.
  • scoots75
    Автор
    That looks lovely too. I had originally had my heart set on white molding but it seems that it's much more common and original to keep trim and moldings the same. I just want a more pulled together and designed space. Thank you!
  • beattieboggs

White crown moulding. The oak doesn't look like it belongs there. If you look at old classic homes, there is usually white plaster moulding. That is classy otherwise it simply looks very bitty. IMO.

• hilltop_gw

Mock up. Tried it with white, but just couldn't get it to look natural.

• Ann Peace
    What year was this lovely home built? If it is not a vintage home I would start with a bright white ceiling and .....paint the woodwork white.
    A wall color in a cool tone maybe VERY light grey and at least 4 lamps.
    Some light upholstered sofas facing each other flanking the fire place would be amazing, something like Ektorp from Ikea they have a few light fabric choices and the slipcovers are easily washable.
  • sacapuntaslapioz

It is equally fine to have an oak molding stained or a painted one. I would paint yours. it is very thin and would look better by not drawing much attention to it

• scoots75
    Автор
    Hi thanks for all the comments. I actually went ahead with the white moulding. I'm so happy I did. It was the right choice for us and brightened up the whole room. I also painted the mantel and built in bookcases white. And changed all the wall colors.
  • scoots75
    Автор
    The house was built in 1912. I'll send a few more pictures once finished. The mix of oak and white came out really nice. We tied it all together using new custom window treatments, rugs, paint and custom pillows.
  • loreenqueen
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

Wow! Looks fantastic.

• Architectural Notice

Looks nice.

• User
    I can't tell from the photo, did you paint your ceiling. It is very white on my screen. You may want to tone it down with a softer complimentary color to the walls.