Houzz Logo Print
sonaliagrawal_gw

Paying a professional for color consultation?

sonaliagrawal
Год(а)/Лет назад: 14

I am thinking of hiring a professional color consultant to help me come up with a color scheme for my 3 bed + family/living/dining/kitchen house. I have been trying to come up with a color theme for a year now, and even though I have the colors nailed down for master bed/bath (already painted), and for the guest bed/bath , I have been going back and forth WAY too much for my office room, hallway, and the open floor area with dining/living/kitchen, and the separate family room.

Has any of you here hired services from a professional color consultant? Was it useful? How much should I expect to pay (per hour) for a good color consultant?

Комментарии: 86

• Bluebell66
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

I recently had a color consultant spend time with me, looking at colors for multiple rooms in our house. It was very eye opening! For example, in our sun room, the ceiling is a pink leaning white the floor is a pink leaning beige. She showed me how certain colors minimize or intensify the pink in each. I still haven't chosen final colors yet, but with the consultants help, I have narrowed colors down to a few that would work for each space. I paid $75/hour and she was here two hours. This person worked for the local BM dealer for almost 20 years before striking out on her own, so has a good handle on paint performance and technology, as well as color knowedge. It was so informative, I wish I had taken notes!

• dretutz

Well, I'm sure the color consultants are worthwhile. I have found that using the BM affinity line (Aura for dark, saturated colors) makes it delightful to plan a whole house scheme. I recently sold a beach house where I had two to three BM colors in some rooms. I wanted the colors to play with the lighting. It sold 30 hours after listing went up and with one open house. Had 17 offers and most commented on the "mood" of the house. Now, I might look for a color consultant.

• Bluebell66

DReturz, that's great! Sounds like you did a nice job selecting colors. Do you have photos of the house you just sold so we can drool over them?? I love the Aura colors and especially love beach houses. ;)

• dretutz

Thanks, Bluebell. BM makes it easy. Somewhere I have the photos from the MLS, but only God knows where. I am waist high in finishing the remodel where I moved and things are a jumble. I can tell you the living room with vaulted ceilings (Decorator white on ceiling) was Metropolitan AF 690 on the fireplace wall with stacked stone, Wish AF 680 on the entry wall, Cotswold AF 150 on the stair wall. Trim was Vapor AF 35. Pashmina AF 100 on the wall in the family room that's open to the living room and Coastal Path on the family room wall with the french doors and the most sun. They blended well highlighting the sunny rooms, muting the bright light, and emphasizing the way light played from many windows.

Now I'm going with a bluish/greenish palette in the 1952 custom hillside home that is inland. I have waited a year to pick interior colors as I was assessing the light patterns in different seasons. This is not an open floor plan, except where I knocked a wall out between the kitchen and dining room.

• PRO
    Magnolia Paint Company - Southend Paint Benjamin M

Such great insight here and delighted that professionals are responding to these posts. I agree color consulting is part science, part intuition, part pschology and a WHOle lot of questions. I will also add in the end in seems it all boils down to semantics. Being a great Wordsmith helps to get the color personality across to the client. I many times give colors a voice, as in, 'if this color could speak, it would say, ____'

• PRO
    Amy Woolf Color Consulting

"Sometimes the job is not fun. It's hard work. On-site consultations are physically and mentally demanding - around the two-hour mark, exhaustion sets in for everyone involved. On-line consultations require patience and extreme organization skills. Both scenarios require extraordinary listening skills." - Lori Sawaya

Good lord, yes! So perfectly stated, Lori.

But, I wouldn't trade this work for anything.

• PRO
    Barbara Jacobs Color and Design
    I agree, with thanks for the recent comment. When a prospective client Expects the best results in an hour (!!) for $, it's a red (color) flag. Be sure to set realistic expectations at the outset. Ok to "deliver more."

The undervalue often comes when a client has been told by their friends that they are so good with color that a professional is extraneous.

That's not the ideal client.
  • aprilneverends

true

why would somebody who's been repeatedly told he's good with color ask for a consultation though?

unless he/she is scared I guess because he wants to try something new..?

but if he's scared and needs encouragement...probably already makes him for a better client?

• PRO

Often people want 'confirmation' of their choices. Often they end up being open to a different approach that includes a more educated and often artistic, creative eye - with the background to scientifically back up the suggestions. Obviously there are many more ways than one to arrive at a reasonable if not excellent solution! Thanks for your comment.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya

why would somebody who's been repeatedly told he's good with color ask for a consultation though?

I've had many clients who've had loads of natural color sense and great taste to go with it too.

This group specifically reach out to me after they spend some time Googling for color stuff. They start out confidently in what they're doing but that changes. They end up confused.

For example, they share snippets from various blogs with color answers that they tried to follow but couldn't. Because thru the process they discover flaws and disconnects in the methods and advice given. And they don't understand why... when they found it on a blog.... that a "color expert" wrote.

They want an answer as to why so many color experts speak to color the same way and use the same buzz words yet they all say something different. This happens with colors of white more than anything but Gray Owl is a good example. They want to know which color expert is right. The one who says Gray Owl has a green undertone, the one who says Gray Owl has a blue undertone or the one who says it has gray undertones. Of course, they're all wrong and then they want to know why.

• PRO

That's a good one :-) That said, we know that each individual Does see color a bit differently and that can be tricky to communicate. It's all interesting.

• PRO

As Lori said, many people come to (us) having a good sense etc. and Ive heard often with many thanks that they now have more confidence. That makes me happy actually.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya

@Barbara - agree. It's a good thing.

• PRO
    Diana Hathaway Interiors

This is a wonderful thread! I do many color consultations, and often the client knows exactly what they'd like, but can't find the perfect version of that color. It's not enough to know you want "aqua," when there are so many different shades out there. It's so much fun when you work with a client that doesn't realize that they already have great color sense, and you're able to confirm their instincts and pull it together for them!

I agree with what was said earlier, it's often about "clicking" with a client so that you understand the vibe for the room. It's so helpful as a consultant to be able to express the language and feeling of colors in a home, as it really helps the client create the perfect space.

• PRO
    Magnolia Paint Company - Southend Paint Benjamin M
    I wish there was a forum where professional color consultants could collaborate and share best practices with each other. Does anyone know of such a thing?

This would be my first share:
    Revere pewter HC – 172 is also ice formations 973 in the classics pallet. 972 alaskan skies is Edgecomb Gray and guess what, there's a value lighter - 971 Olympic Mountains. So now you have let downs of one of Benjamin Moore's best selling grays of all Time. If you're familiar with the historic colors then you'll understand what I find this is! Definitely for the client who doesn't want to be like everyone else. Wink wink;)
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya

I admin a group on Facebook called Color Friends - all working color design professionals. Would be happy to add you. Have to friend me on FB before I can add you, https://www.facebook.com/funcolors

I wish there was a forum where professional color consultants could collaborate and share best practices with each other.

Don't know I'd go as far to describe this FB group that way, but, it's a start, it's somethin'.

• meli246

I need help choosing an off white , neutral, or cream wall color. Please help

• meli246

We are moving back into our home after having to have rented it out for past 5 years. (DH spine injury) I need to refresh the kitchen/family room space and make it home again! The rest of house can wait. Moving tomorrow. I tend to love color and there's a lot of it throughout house, but I wanted to neutralize this space, make it sunny, bright, refreshed. But I'm going crazy choosing off white or cream wall color. Why is this so hard ??? My cabinets are bm Texas sage and I have terracota times as backsplash and all of our trim is oak wood. I thought SW Casa Blanca, then SW Muslim , natural choice, antique white.... I'm so confused but need this yellow gone!

My dining room (Bali turquoiseRL?) and living room Mexico City yellow RL) painted 10 years ago, I'll get to those later on in year. But the yellow color left here clashes with all rooms, ugly and feels dark, old and dirty. Ruins my awesome Texas safe cabinets . Ha!

• srqlady
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

I'm so glad I found this thread. I need help in selecting paint colors for my one-story open floor plan home in SW Florida . I haven't been happy with the local "decorators" I've been referred to. I've gutted the kitchen and master bath but no paint-- and the walls are barren. I know the colors I like, and have the BM new color deck which is lovely but overwhelming. I've read about Amy SRQ and Lori Sawaya-- so do I need to contact them, or can I get a start on this forum , which I'd prefer. r to i'm not very good at taking pictures and uploading them to a forum. Would appreciate someone providing a link on how to do the uploading and taking photos. Many thanks.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

You need to create new post on the forum so you can get input from the whole Garden Web crew: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/decor

Give your post a succinct, descriptive title (located right by your username)
    Next box down, type a post just like you did on this thread and click submit.

Before you start your post, it's a good idea to save your photos to your desktop. There's a photo icon located at the bottom of the box where you write out your post. When you click on it you can then select the photo you want to post. Can only post one at a time.

• colorblind1961

srqlady, I just moved to SW Florida three weeks ago and this Forum has been a wealth of knowledge for me. I have contacted a Professional Designer however, to help me narrow down Paint Colors.....with all this natural light, I want to make sure I pick the right color!

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real

I think it's a great idea to start a new thread, but probably better to hire a professional like Lori. Consider how many times a pro like her has thought about the issues and knows how things turn out from personal experience- no guessing about undertones, light or concentration of color, complementary colors- all of it thought you and known quantities to someone who is experienced and educated. Save yourself time and hassle, my two cents.

• srqlady

Lori, thanks for the info on posting.

colorblind1961: Yes, love the natural light & high ceilings -- big difference from NJ. I just haven't done well with designers-- maybe because I'm a bit stubborn and want to use the furniture I have, which doesn't fit well with their vision. But if it works for you, go for it-- sure is easier.

Rita , thanks for your advice. I'll start a new thread. I'm sure Lori and Amysrq (and other consultants on the forum) are wonderful, but since I if I haven't thought through the end result, I'll be wasting her time and my $$. Due to health problems, I just haven't focused on paint & decor -- but want to start now. When i did my renovations, I spent much time investigating, figuring out what I wanted and didn't want, and then was able to make decisions easily with the designer/contractor. Just the way my mind works.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real

Srqlady, I am so sorry you had health issue. I wish all the best with your project.

• srqlady

Thanks so much Rita-- first one thing, then another. but I'm feeling better so time to get off my duff .

• Barbra B
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

Some one said look for a consultant from the IACC. I went there and found just 3 in the United States. Am I doing something wrong or are you using these people via email?

• Barbra B

Who is Amy, referred to a number of times? Is she an online advisor?

• DLM2000-GW

Barbara B - here you go. I'm another satisfied client of Amy's

https://www.houzz.com/pro/amywoolf/amy-woolf-color-consulting

• PRO

Thanks, DLM! Hope all is well down there... :-)

Barbra B, the IACC website is experiencing difficulties, as you have seen. We have someone new, taking over the maintenance aspect of the site, and are all hoping it will be fixed soon. YES, there are more than three of us IACC Members in the US.

• PRO

Barbra B, if you let me know where you are located, I can send you some names.

• Barbra B

I live in the Cincinnati Ohio. Zip code 45202

• PRO
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

Okay....I don't know anyone off the top of my head, but I am asking Lori, who used to live in OH, and Karen Collins, who is IACC but works for an architectural firm and doesn't take private clients (I don't think). I'll let you know what I hear. There are also a number of us IACC folks who do virtual consults. Lori Sawaya does, Amy Krane does. (I do, as well, but I don't have any openings right now...)

• PRO

Hi again, Barbra. Unfortunately, the woman who was in your area has since moved to Texas. Lori is booked though August, though you might try to get on her schedule. Amy Krane, also a terrific colorist, will be back from vacation soon and is booking for mid-August, I think. I wish I could help you myself....but I am booked solid through the Fall and the wrap-up of exterior season.

Though I believe that the IACC training is the best out there, I would not rule out the expertise of other color consultants, who may have been trained elsewhere and have lots of experience. IACC is good, but it's not the only path to expertise. (Shhh...don't tell anyone I said that!! ;-) ) I wish you the best of luck finding someone...IACC or otherwise.

• PRO
    720 Interiors

I believe that when you hire a designer, color consultant, whatever, a key factor is that you are listened to. It shouldn't be about what your designer wants or making you feel inept, but about leading and guiding you in the direction that you want to take. Making your vision come together and make sense is what your designer should be there to do for you.

• PRO

It won't work otherwise! And doing so also helps clients really discover their own style and gain confidence in that as well.

• Susan Fischer

Hi,

im not sure if this is the right thread, but I’m considering training as a Colour Consultant. I’m an architect (haven’t worked as one for a few years). I’ve been doing graphic design for a while and running my own business. I love Colour and have a good eye for it. I‘m based in Portugal and Colour Consultants are not common here at all. In fact, I haven’t found any yet, so I think this might be something that could work for me.

im considering online QC Design or ISCD (International School of Colour and Design) or Design Ecademy Colour consulting courses. Anybody has experience with them? Any reviews or recommendations for other places to study?

Many thanks!

Susan

• Susan Fischer

Thanks for your feedback. I’ll have to study online, since there are no other options here in Lisbon. Do you have any recommendation?

thanks!

• mmp01

Can anyone recommend a color consultant in the Annapolis. MD area? Many thanks!

• Lisa Saginian
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Does anyone know how I can find a good color consultant for an exterior house paint job? I live in Glendale, CA (near Pasadena). Thank you!

• PRO

@Lisa Saginian, I'd be happy to help you (virtually), but I am booked out a couple weeks. If you need someone sooner, I'd be happy to refer you to someone else (also virtual). Exteriors are particularly straightforward to do virtually, btw.

• PRO

Hi Lisa, I’m in the North bay but can help you “long distance,” as is often the case. Please drop me a note if you have questions. Bjacibs@integralcolor.com. Cheers,
    Barbara.

• PRO

Sorry: bjacobs@integralcolor.com.

• Lisa Saginian

Thank you for all the notes. Because my house is a bit difficult I do not want to work remotely. I really want someone local. Does anyone know someone talented in the Pasadena, CA area? My zip code is 91207. I'm looking for someone talented who can add curb appeal to the house. I hope you all have a network that you could make a referral? If not, any tips of where I can get referrals? Hope everyone is safe. Cheers, Lisa

• Meldie Said
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

Hello everyone. I'm looking for a color consultant to assist me with 1) identifying the "right" colors for my home (meaning the hue, depth, intensity will evoke certain emotions) 2) ensure that they flow from one room to the next and 3) are current. I've worked with a few decorators but have not been satisfied with their knowledge of color. @Barbara Jacobs Color and Design or @Lori A. Sawaya or @Amy Woolf Color Consulting or any of the pros on this group, might you be able to recommend someone? I'm in the Northern Virginia area. I prefer in-person consultation. Thank you in advance for any guidance you can provide. Best. Maryam

• PRO
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

@Meldie Said

http://paintedroom.com/

Try contacting Jean Molesworth Kee. Please let her know I sent you. Good luck! :-)

• PRO

Hi Meldie, sorry I do not know someone in that area. Feel free to drop me a note with any questions.
    Best, Barbara

• Meldie Said

Thank you both so much.

• PRO

You’re most welcome . Good luck with your new color project!

• ekgeverett
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

I am searching for a paint consultant in WILMINGTON N.C. Any recommendations?

• PRO
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

HI, is this for interior or exterior work? I can help with either. Long-distance is a specialty actually.

Sponsored