Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Hurricane Sandy: Are You in the Path?

Emily H
Год(а)/Лет назад: 11
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 11
The satellite images and weather radar on the East Coast of the U.S. are showing just what a huge storm we are facing. We know there are many Houzzers out there battening down the hatches in anticipation of Hurricane Sandy's arrival. How have you been preparing?

UPDATE: The news from the East Coast has been devastating. In the last few days we have heard many stories about people in the U.S., Canada and the Caribbean severely affected by Hurricane Sandy, many of them still desperate for help. Our hearts go out to those who have lost family members and friends, those still without food, gas and electricity, and those beginning the long process of rebuilding their homes and lives.

Many Houzzers from all over the world have offered their sympathy, support and help. In tough times, it is good to know that you are not alone. If you were in the hurricane's path please tell us how you're doing, and how we can help. — The Houzz Team

Attached is an ideabook about what to do after a hurricane or flood for those that would like to see what is involved. https://www.houzz.com/magazine/what-to-do-after-a-hurricane-or-flood-stsetivw-vs~5188867

Комментарии: 96

• PRO
    ampascal
    My retired in-laws have a home in Long Beach, NY, they are feeling defeated and at a loss. Their house had 4ft of water and their fix income barely covers every day living cost. With no flood insurance coverage (flood insurance coverage not offered in Long Beach) they just feel like giving up. What can they do?
  • 333orbust
    P.S. Romney = President
  • charleee
    333orbust, it's my personal belief all power lines should be underground. Not only does it look so much better but in times like this it makes a huge difference. George Lucas lives in one of the richest areas of California and even his power lines are above ground. He paid the city out of his own pocket to have them buried.
  • lswan21
    Secondary house burned down at Jersey Shore,,,gladly everyone we know got out...sadly,,most of our areas homes are gone..BUT..we will rebuild,,,,,,,,just not as soon as we'd like. God bless everyone harmed by this nasty storm, and thank you for caring.
  • caseyem
    333 or bust: Romney would eliminate FEMA and put all the burden on individual states. A storm like Sandy that affected 15 states illustrates why a coordinated federal response is appropriate. No individual state could bear the burden of responding to an event of this magnitude.
  • charleee
    caseyem, I agree with everything you're saying. NJ is lucky to have a pro-active Gov like Chris Christie. I've invited him to come to California, because God knows we need him!
  • elcieg
    Deborah, a good reminder. This election, more than any I can remember, is so heated. We all have such strong opinions that most often it is best to pull back or risk insulting or angering friends. I just completely agreed with a comment above, checked the "like" and but went back and erased it.

What is going to happen on Tuesday at the polls for those of you who are in such dire straits from the storm? If power is still out, will all those votes (assuming people can get to the polls) have to be counted by hand?
  • PRO
    MIG Furniture Design, Inc.
    I live on Bedford Ave, Brooklyn NY, 400' from Emmons Ave, one of the most destroyed area... My pure car does not survive in this hurricane.... :( Everything else is seems like getting back to normal.
  • 333orbust
    Yeah because FEMA came in and helped out all of the folks in Katrina right? lol. Okay. Well, I'm a libertarian and futurist. I'm not a huge fan of either evils in this election. When I say Romney = President, it's because.. that's probably what's going to happen. It's not my personal beliefs. I think our society as a whole is entirely backwards. If you really think about it. We live in a very Medieval way. Our calendars are wrong, our communities are built wrong, and our thinking is all wrong. We're a far cry from the civilization we need to be on this planet that's going haywire. Ask any genius, a true genius, or anthropologist about the way we live on this planet and the way we will live if we continue DOING THE SAME THING and REBUILDING THE SAME WAY. We have children!!!! Wake up and look alive! What we should be doing is not just worry about getting back to normal.. we have to worry about making strong choices about the future we're building for our children. Our future will not have the same resources we have and yet we are rebuilding to continue on our business-as-usual path. I don't believe Romney, Obama, or any patriarchal government structure will change unless you change first.
  • PRO
    ampascal
    Amen
  • decoenthusiaste
    Our 6-bedroom vacation rental in Brigantine, NJ, suffered no damage. If you know of someone living or working in the area who needs temp housing, the owner is making it available. Let me know here and I'll get in touch or go directly to the site: www.vrbo.com/113589.
  • galleykitchengirl
    This article in the link I'm posting is confusing: talks about people BRINGING clothing etc., but seems like the best way to help is to text one of the numbers given, or mail in a donation, Read it, you'll see.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Red_Cross_limiting_donations_to_cash.html

Some of the simplest ways to help, if you're local are to let other charge their phone on your power - loved ones are waiting to hear from the residents, and without a charged up phone, we can't.

Offer a neighborhood person your gas stove use, or a hot shower, or some time inside your powered house, or house using a generator for power. NO ONE likes to ASK, so OFFER.
  • PRO
    wardwells24
    Damage is unimaginable! And so widespread. We feel guilty here on West coast with
    beautiful weather & sending prayers your way. Donate to Red Cross everyone.
  • janishill
    When we went through Hurricane Dean - a catergory 5 - while living in Belize. We had no running water, but had baby wipes and maintained ourselves as best we could. After 3 days, when we could get through, we went to check on our vet. When she saw us she offered to let us shower at her house. That was one of the kindest things anyone has ever done.

It doesn't take much, especially when people are suffering. Just reach out.
  • gdbydesign
    I am a new houzz member and I just want to say the show of concern, love and support really is wonderful. I am in NC, so we were not caught in the catastrophic effects of Sandy which gives us opportunity to give to those who were. But I want to thank the Houzz family for being so amazing! God bless you all.
  • yvonne_pinckney
    Thank you for the out pour of prayers and concern. We are inthe Trenton Lawrence Twsp. Princeton area of New Jersey and we were hit pretty hard. But many in the shoreline were hit the hardest! Bon Jovi Matt Lauer and a host of stars along with the Red Cross are working to raise money. Our area was out of power from Monday to Friday lost lives, food and homes. Some were inconvenienceed. But.but through the grace of God we are pulling through.
  • yvonne_pinckney
    Thank you for the out pour of prayers and concern. We are inthe Trenton Lawrence Twsp. Princeton area of New Jersey and we were hit pretty hard. But many in the shoreline were hit the hardest! Bon Jovi Matt Lauer and a host of stars along with the Red Cross are working to raise money. Our area was out of power from Monday to Friday lost lives, food and homes. Some were inconvenienceed. But.but through the grace of God we are pulling through.
  • yvonne_pinckney
    Just wanted to add this little note, it is amazing how intelligent our pets R. Our dogs let us know the storm was upon us and curled up and took refuge quietly with us. They remain quiet throughout the storm When does storm was over And we had no electricity They were extra ordinarily Well behaved Like professionally trained dogs! I think they were praying too And just grateful we made it through
  • akodat
    I am on Long Island, very hard hit. We have not gotten power back yet. We are lucky when we look at the neighborhoods around us. We are about 10 miles from historic Jones Beach, Long Beach (horrible), Freeport, I can go on & on. House are gone, boats on people's lawns, no water, food, clothing..................The gas lines.......never, not even in the 70's have I witnessed this. Over a mile long & sometimes when you pass the line & get to the station it is not even OPEN!!! they are just waiting in hope.................. Tomorrow I return to work after a week, they have power. We were able to score a generator, now just have to be able to get gas. Anyway just needed to vent a bit, grateful for what we have and willing to share. We brought food, coffee & tea to friends who were ripping out their basement. I saw ruined photo albums, just broke my heart..................
  • elcieg
    Emily Hurley, you started this thread. Thank you for keeping us in touch on a personal level…Houzz is amazing!
  • dyanel
    Anyone who lives on Long Island, out there,. I finally got gas today, they'll have more tmmrw, Cold Spring Harbor,. Harbor rd,. Cold spring motors, next to the deli,. Only waited an hour, Westbury, Old Country Rd,. Next to the source mall, Valero and Gulf, Still no power in Laurel Hollow, I'm not leaving my dogs, fireplace keeping us warm. Me and my Labs. Just like camping. Holding on, stay well everyone,.
  • ecospaces
    We would like to offer our services to anyone who was effected by this storm. We hope that when you rebuild you will do it green, and we would like to provide you with discounted building materials through our store. Email ecospace@gmail.com www.EcoBuildingMaterials.com, and let us know your home has been damaged by the hurricane and we will offer you deeply discounted materials to rebuild.
  • Cyd
    My husband and I were lucky to say the least. We sold our house on LBI NJ a week before Sandy hit after almost 40 wonderful years. Our dear neighbors were not so fortunate. Today will be the first day they will get a chance to return to the island but for only a few hours. They will need cleaning supplies, trash bags, and batteries. There will be no power for some time due to gas leaks. My heart and soul are with them.
  • charleee
    mpn7ccx, sometimes timing is EVERYTHING! You both were very lucky.
  • Katerina Voulkidis
    This has been my best friend for 20+ years. They have been staying with me and my family since this all has happen due to the fact that several of their relatives have been affected as well. Please help in anyway possible, maybe for my friend and her Mom, if not for your own family, friends and neighbors. Many people are in need so either lend a helping hand in a demolition process, a hot shower, clean drinking water, clothes, a hot meal! All will help!

http://www.giveforward.com/fundraisingforthefolios?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fb_wall&utm_campaign=receipt&og_action=hug&fb_ref=426276
  • Emily H
    Автор
    Thank you to everyone for your updates, and thank you to those service providers stepping up to offer their help as well. Know that we are thinking of you all out there.

Please keep us posted as you are able!
  • Kevin Massie
    In Philly here and we didn't suffer much damage but hearing that we have to face a nor'easter in a couple of days. That's devastating for many who did suffer and are only getting back into their homes today. My heart goes out to them and hope that the coming storm does very little if any damage to them.
  • User
    First of all, as a Canadian my thoughts are with those who have been affected by the wrath of Sandy and may you shortly rise above the challenges that face you.

As for those who are still without heat and power if it is any consolation, after receiving approval from your Government; as of last Wednesday Canada sent a large envoy of Hydro crewS that were dispersed to all five States (CT, MA, NH, NY and VT) to assist in restoring power. It has also been reported by 'our' News media though the initial arrangement was for a period of one week only, they have decided to remain to help .... so please if any of you are reading this .... just hang in there.

In closing; putting all Politics aside it is our small way of trying to help you as that is what neighbours do.

Footnote: Canadian areas affected by Sandy were those in -- the East Coast Atlantic Provinces, the Province of Quebec along the St. Lawrence River and the Great Lakes region stretching as far inland as Toronto Ontario.

Update: Re my comment above. As of Tuesday/Nov. 6th, an additional 145 Hydro workers from the Province of Ontario has been sent to the district of New Jersey. Our media is reporting; " a segment of our crews prior to this date have restored power to less than half of the nearly one million customers affected in the rural area of New Jersey alone".
  • Cyd
    With a Nor'easter expected tomorrow and our east coast bare the strong efforts to fortify our eastern shore to date may be insignificant. The people on our coast and barrier islands are a hardy breed and know that Mother Nature reshapes, adds and subtracts at will. Though the loss has been great, her forces are what draw us to return, rebuild and cherish each day.
  • Shari P Kantor
    Thoughts and prayers are with all Sandy Survivors.

I'm very thankful that all of my loved ones are safe; some of them are still without power or had their homes severely damaged or destroyed, but they're alive. Some of my neighbors in Mount Laurel are still without power, including the local elementary school. There are many people without homes or without power, and the Nor'easter is a major concern.

A lot of people did heed the evacuation orders. Others didn't for various reasons and were stuck riding out a storm for whose scale of destruction I have no words other than that we don't need any more tourists like Sandy coming through here ever again.

@Bobbi: parts of MIddlesex, including all of Woodbridge, are currently under a boil-water advisory. All 21 counties have been declared a disaster area.

@Houzzers from the Shore or who have loved ones there but haven't been able to check in person yet: access to the towns is still very limited, curfews are in place because of the lack of power and houses that seem like they're okay from photos doesn't necessarily mean that they are because the interior damage from flooding might be too great (FEMA is inspecting houses as quickly as they can). Sandy did a bad job of redecorating the shoreline--it's completely unrecognizable. Some towns, including Brick, just issued new evac orders ahead of the Nor'easter.It's difficult for me to get to you right now because of the gas shortage, but please email me at spkcreative@gmail.com if there's some way that I can help you, even if it's just fresh-baked cookies and a hug. Jersey Strong!

@Houzzers who are wondering about the elections: Gov. Christie is allowing voters to do their civic duty via email and to vote at other polling places http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/11/new_jersey_votes_guide_to_poll.html . NY and CT voters, click here for info http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/06/nyregion/where-to-vote-in-new-york-new-jersey-and-connecticut.html?_r=0 . Not sure about the other states, but legal analysts are already predicting multiple challenges to the outcome regardless of what level the election is at (local, state, national) because of the voting location issues.

Emily will know more about this, but I think Houzz will have more Sandy resource info soon.

Be safe, warm and happy,
    Shari

Holiday shop and do good at the same time:
    50% of profits from the following sites from November 2, 2012 to December 31, 2012 will be donated to the Food Bank of Monmouth and Ocean in honor of Sandy Survivors. The current tally is US$18.00 and I hope to raise at least US$1000.00.
    Shari P Kantor Abstract Art: http://www.spkcreative.com
    SPKCreative Fabric and Wallpaper Line: http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/spkcreative
    SPKCreative Stationery Line: http://www.zazzle.com/spkcreative*
  • upenritz
    be safe and be strong.......hope and courage is wat u need to face the hardest of obstacle.....
  • PRO
    Am Construction Service Inc
    wishes you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving!
  • PRO
    Marina Rubina, Architect
    In the past couple of years we have been working with PreFab and Modular systems on developing high-quality, affordable and "green" homes in New Jersey. Our test case house won the NJ American Institute of Architects 2012 Residential Design Award. Our hearts go out to the people devastated by the Hurricane and we hope that our solutions could help rebuild our shore communities quickly and sustainably. We are currently volunteering to develop home prototypes that could be built in 3-6 month from start to finish. If you have been affected by Sandy and will be looking to rebuild, please let us know what elements or features should an ideal home prototype include. Also, please let us know if you would like to get a new prototype home installed on your property as a test case. Please feel free to leave comments here or contact us directly through our website: www.mrubina.com.
  • jessinjersey
    Hi everyone, I've just signed up here because our house got flooded during Sandy. We are trying to look at it as an opportunity and we did not get as badly hit as many did. Right now we have no floor (just the sub floor), 2 ft of sheetrock is gone throughout the whole house, and no heat! (Plus my office in Jersey City is still dislocated!).

But, like I said, we're trying to see this as a chance to make our house better.

Hope to see you all around!
  • Emily H
    Автор
    Hey, JessinJersey. Welcome! Sorry to hear you had damage, but great that you are taking a positive away and making the most of it. Definitely keep us posted on your progress!
  • PRO
    Look...everything needs time and and all humans need patience! So in order to get time, you should start by getting patience!
  • PRO
    When you can talk various topics with one person, then you made a friend!
  • PRO
    There are several places you can search for if you need help with AM Construction Service Inc, Basement finishing ideas. Before you push on any ideas, bear in mind a few things. If your basement is damp and cold, you will have to get repairs done before starting with your basement renovation. Great basement ideas will only go to waste if you weren’t able to fix any existing conditions that build up molds on your walls. Molds will not only ruin your investment on your basement finishing in the look run, but will also ruin the look. Moreover, molds also cause serious health hazards, especially for those who are asthmatic.
  • Patricia DeGennaro
    I am new to Houzz since our house in Toms River NJ was flooded in hurricane Sandy. I have been using the sight to get ideas and it is really helpful.
  • Emily H
    Автор
    Hi Patty, Glad it ha been helpful for you. Sorry to hear you were impacted by the storm!
  • PRO
    Hi Patty, you need help i help you.
  • bango0318
    Yes, this whole experience is exhausting, overwhelming and very disheartening. I purchased my home eight years ago and redecorated every room in the house since, having taken the eight years to do so, in between juggling kids around, working, trying to find the time to spend with my wonderful wife and dealing with everything else life entails. Now, Christmas upon us, no home to call our own as of yet, hiring people to rebuild your home, because i don't have the time to do it myself, just so we can move back in. Rather than taking the time it takes normally to redecorate, hurry up and get it done, so we can move back and have some kind of normalsy. Then after working going and checking on the hired contractors progress and noticing, the baseboard isn't quite right, or the spackle job wasn't finished. Having to rely on other people, but not being able to trust them. Feeling like i have to stand there and watch them to do it right, i might as well do it myself. I"m not a designer or contractor and are willing to pay, there is no compitantsy anymore, no pride in worksmanship. its a shame then they want to get paid. One quote given, then almost double, because a few extra walls had to be opened. What about the pipe that was cut into, nobody paid me to get it fixed. Very frustrating. And i have insurance. Where is the adjustor that says, "Hey, we have you. Take care of your home and family and just give us the bill, we will take care of it." No, save all receipts, take pictures of everything, itemize everything, then download into this computer system, fax it or e-mail it to us then we will get back to you. Thanx but who pays for all the work right now? Thanx for listening, Just venting, Happy Holidays everyone.
  • Jessica S
    Hello. I live in Babylon Village on Long Island in New York. We lost our home from Hurricane Sandy. Thankfully we have a home to rebuild however we've had to breakdown the whole home due to significant mold damages from the water inside our home. We are presently living in a trailer with our 4 children and hope to be back in our home around March or April. It's a very trying experience that I do not wish on anyone. We try to remember that we are luckier than others who have lost homes and lives. We have something to rebuild.
  • Eileen Young
    hi, i live in Breezy Point NY and we were devastated by Sandy. Our whole neighborhood looks like a war zone. On top of losing our homes and being displaced, we are at the mercy of the government to help us. Insurance companies don't want to pay even though several of us had good insurance and the Mayor has put together rapid repair to assist us, but it has so many flaws that its only causing more aggravation for all of us. We are all dealing with so much paperwork for all the claims we have to have as well as spending money as if it were monopoly money because of our living situations. Personally, I haven't had one possitive encounter towards putting our home and our lives back together and i know i am far from being alone with this feeling. We have had many of wonderful people that came and donated their time and efforts to help us gut our homes and these people didn't expect anything in return. Yet we are paying the people Mayor Bloomberg has put together with this organization and they are awful with communication. waiting full days for them to show and they never come. It 's all so mentally and physically draining. We need to move forward, but before we can do that we need basic, simple answers. Your site is beautiful. Maybe one day i will have a house ready for my 3 children to return to.
  • epepster
    We have also experience major damage to our home, and now are trying to put it back, and yes we have insurance. Everyone wants their payments up front, 1/2 down half when finished. Who has that kind of money? Finally hired a Public Adjuster, because my cousin recommended that as a help to navigate all the .....can't think of a nice word....let see "government stuff". Just found out that we are in the FEMA V zone, yet we do not live on the water, and did not experience 3ft waves, or velocity damage. So along with all of this our insurance will be very expensive, probably lowering our value of our home after it is finished. Government is Never Ever effective in this kind of thing. Our Military is the only thing my taxes are good for...all the rest is disheartening. I pray all off us can just stay calm, and not let this upset us unduly. And one last thing if one more person says " it's only stuff" I will scream. This was my home, my children grew up in this home, my parents (who are gone) spent time in this home, birthdays, holidays, memories. So it is not our stuff that is so hard, it is our routines, our memories and we just need to have time to adjust but there is none, because we have to fear that our insurance will not really pay, that what we thought was reality is really not, that we are being "screwed" pardon the vulgarity. We still need to work, and we still have to be available to the contractor. Just am too tired to express myself properly. Once again "this too shall pass" but I must admit, aside of watching my parents failing health and passing, this has been a very sad, exhausting experience. I am praying for all of you.
  • Eileen Young
    we also hired a public adjuster, you need a law degree to deal with the insurance people...ugh....i understand your fustrations, i have such a hard time coming up with the politically correct words at times. just want to scream sometimes. This too shall pass is something i seem to say too often. its hard to imagine ever having it all back together. i wish you, your family and your neighbors all the best, and i hope time will pass quickly enough that we will all see happier days soon. I know its even more heart breaking with the loss of your parents. sending my prayers as well. i enclosed a picture of my disaster as well
  • bango0318
    yes, i am grateful that my house is still standing, just very overwhelmed and tired of even talking about it. tired of being tired up, all hours of the night spackling and painting trying to keep organized. now going through the bags and boxes of stuff i thought could be salvaged. i have two pods in my driveways, a nice luxurious walk in closet, lol, where my clothes are contained, the other, any furniture i thought i may be able to keep. anyway just heard that the pods are not covered by insurance, lol, wow i should have just thrown out everything and that would have been covered. comical. anyway, goodluck to you all, like they say, this too shall pass. God Bless.
  • Eileen Young
    i think everyone is at their boiling point now. i can't believe they aren't covered. i'm sorry, but can't say i'm really all that surprised. why do we bother with insurance, they don't cover you when needed. UGH so frustrating. i wish you and your loved ones all the best as well. I've been saying This too shall pass as well..........we have to believe in something. try to clean your things, including wood with distilled vinegar. God Bless
  • epepster
    My biggest crisis was my kids baby pictures that I was sure were safe, only to find that they were in nice IKEA boxes, but that they were on the bottom shelf of my book cases, but I did save them, so I am grateful. Thank you for your kind words, actually this is one of those experiences unless you experience it is hard to understand. Sorta like losing a loved one, until you experience the lose you can only feel for the person but it is hard to truly empathize. However, when the next disaster strikes I WILL be one of those people traveling to help, because now I know truly know their needs. I am not a big government person, personally if I could live without their interference I would on every level. But you can buy insurance for flood with out going through FEMA, and your mortgage company requires it, so you are caught in their web. They should be ashamed.