Houzz Logo Print
m008780

Update Ideas HELP Please

m008780
Год(а)/Лет назад: 11
Looking for some update ideas and some color suggestions for the front of my house. Thinking about adding blue shakes (sample color up on top of brick on the left). Color choices are minimal given the tan roof. Would love a three color scheme if possible. Would love a more modern - clean look. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Комментарии: 16

• isabette
    must take off the hose in front of your home
  • m008780
    Автор
    Thanks for the input....What don't you like about the blue? What color do you feel would be better?
  • houssaon
    Is this a new house for you? Why change the siding instead of just painting? Installing shakes over the current siding is not the way to go. No matter what the salesperson might say. Also if you want a more modern clean look, the texture of shakes combined with the texture of the roof and bricks is not the way to go. If you paint (or stain) instead, you would have more color choices.

The lone post is not needed from a structual perspective and it's a real distraction from the horizontal lines of the house.
  • Amy DaSilva
    Are you planning to keep the awnings? What part are you thinking of painting? I like the blue in small areas (like a front door or shutters), but painting the whole thing might look a little like a restraunt especially with the awnings. Tan, white and blue make a nice combo. If you want the house to be blue, you might want to pick a much grayer blue. Blue really "bounces" especially when the sun hits it.
  • m008780
    Автор
    Thank you. We have lived here for 24 years and have painted the wood siding once. We want to paint again. That is the reason we were asking for color ideas. We were only thinking about adding the shakes to the front above the brick. The rest we would paint. I will attach a pic of the back...that may help get somebody's creative juices flowing....I am just stuck on what to do. Thank you for thoughts on our project
  • m008780
    Автор
    Kinda would like to keep awning...not keeping shutters as we are getting new windows with wide trim
  • houssaon
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 11
    Thanks for answering my questions. Now I have a better understanding.

I still would not switch out the siding for the shakes for the reasons I said before. Also, like the idea that you are getting rid of the shutters.

I love the color of your awnings and blue would be a good choice to paint the wood siding. As Amy DaSilva mentioned, your sun facing front means that the sun is going to have a huge impact on the color choice.

But you can consider other colors that would tie the tans of the roof and the brick to the blue in the awning. Besides the grey tone blue that Amy recommended, you could go to warm grey or a creamy white.

I'd keep the white on the garage. I'd think of your color scheme as: the tans of the brick and roof; the white of the window, trim and garage; the blues in the awning; and that mystery color that you are trying to pick!
  • isabette
    I think the awnings are a little too big for you home.
    Also, I see marine blue and baby blue but no other link for this color.
    I would take it off.
    Instead, I imagine a joyful color, like yellow or burgundy red for your front door and little links here and there as big red or yellow pots of flowers, a matching doormat. Bright colors make houses inviting and alive.
  • PRO
    Touched by Design
    I agree with houssaon a warm grey (think taupe grey) would work well for the siding. A bright punch of colour (yellow or blue) for the door would definitely wake the house up. A blue on the door would link the blue from the awnings.
  • kara9
    Remove garden hose, awnings, storm door, shutters
    Paint: siding and brick khaki beige, trim Navajo white, front door glossy black.
    Replace porch column with appropriate sized column according to Greek architectural deminsions (search web). Paint Navajo white.
    Replace lamps with black carriage lamps. Add door knochers and house numbers. Preferably black numbers.
    Landscaping. Add flowers and replace sculpted bush with lower appropriate bush.
    New carriage garage door with windows and hardware (if in the budget)
    Good luck! I love ranch houses. Very comfortable and versatile. If you don't want to paint the brick, then try to match khaki beige in brick to fool the eye. It will make your house look bigger. I wouldn't replace windows but woud spend $$ on above first. Bigger impact than new windows. In my opinion. Another idea is to remove brick, install new mullioned larger longer windows and re-side w shake shingles then stain and do above. (if ou are determined to replace windows). Your house would then look cape like.
  • m008780
    Автор
    Thanks everyone!
  • rachelg10811
    Modern= clean look, which is what you want. Modern also = less! I would suggest getting rid of the following: awnings, decorative white post, and shutters. Move the water hose to the side of the house. Paint the siding a darker shade than the brick and roof since they seem to match almost exactly. The white garage door and lighting will pop once the siding is painted. I would replace the sign next to the door with something more modern and if you can afford it, a new door. Bring color in with landscaping or outdoor accessories. If you can afford it and/or do it yourself expand the trim of the sidewalk to make it bigger with just large rock. Streamline your plants on both sides of the house. No potted plants on the front because it will be too much for a modern look. Hope this gets your creative juices flowing.
  • pcmom1
    Every one has pretty much said my thoughts: lose awning, shutters, post, small house lights, screen door. Get new mailbox.

I know you said you sort of want to keep the awning: could you have retractable sunscreens installed instead? If you want an awning I would think about a smaller one in black. (My vote for a tan and black color scheme!)
  • alwaysdesigning
    good ideas here; personally, because the brick and siding are neutrals (I would keep it that way, matching the siding to the color of the brick) paint the garage door also to match the siding to blend it in. Then all the white trim, paint a black or a navy blue, for contrast (except the garage door paint entirely to match the vinyl color so it will blend in and not draw attention). To pop the front, just paint the front door a nice bright contrast, like a bright yellow. It needs to be bright and not blend in. A new idea springing up, is painting the front door black or navy to match your other trim. In that case, your pop of color would come from sweeps of garden plants.

Do everything possible to change up and clean up the front to a more modern appearance (lose the awning, re-work the post trimming it out to a more modern appearance, lose the shutters, replace that storm door with a full view and update the front door to a fresh modern look, rip out plants and bushes to a clean visual starting point). A nice pergola with vines can shade your bay window and walk in summer. Totally reworking that porch and bay window with a nice modern, huge deck with pergola, low railing and seating and low bedding plants and some grasses like purple fountain grass would be great also. Good luck. I would recommend writing up a plan in stages to spread out the cost. Getting a good landscape designer's ideas would be very worthwhile.
  • lefty47
    HI -- For a more modern clean look , take off all the visual clutter . The awnings ,post , hose, shutters and the sculptured tree on the right ,etc. Paint your siding and roof facia trim , Behr " Broadway " ( its a brown based black ) And have the window trims in the same color as the small window on the right , and paint that same color on the garage door and trim. Add a wider trim piece on each side of the front door. Match up your lighting on the front and see if you can add another light, to have a light on each side of the front door. If the post has to be there for support then add another for the other corner and make them a bigger plain square post,- paint the siding color. Now you can have that pretty blue on your front door. I think this will give you the classy more modern up to date look you want .