Houzz Logo Print
jane_gray8577392

Help please! Bathroom tiling

Jane Gray
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
I would appreciate any thoughts on the trim of the tiling - in chrome around the toilet and white plastic next to the shower.
The tiler said that the outside corners "had to be like that" but I m sure the corners could be hidden under the tiles!

He did not discuss it with me (even though the inspiration photos I gave showed no visible trim) and I m worried about if it can be rectified and if I have to pay. I think it doesn't look very nice.

Many thanks!

Комментарии: 10

• Jane Gray
    Автор
    Thank you. I think its enormous too. Do you think it can still be rectified?
  • PRO
    lovcolours ltd
    yes, if you are prepared to re-tile, but the trim could have been smaller that is true, and not white maybe too
    Jane Gray поблагодарил(а): lovcolours ltd
  • hortonhearsawho2013
    We have a bathroom without edging! I've also seen loads of bathrooms without it and I'd say your tiler isn't very skilled!!! Is he a one man band or part of a bigger company? If you have to have it then they should at least be able to do it all in chrome!!!! Good Luck!
  • PRO
    Jaimie K Designs Ltd
    Hi Jane, the trims are quite prominent and large. It is quite hard to see if all the corner trims are just added on after tiling? can you let me know? They don't look like trims that are seated behind the tiles. i will wait to hear from you. jaimie k
  • Jane Gray
    Автор
    thank you very much for your comments. They are added on after the tiling (and one has fallen off already!) - they are simply stuck on top of the tiles with what looks like double sided sticky tape and seem to cover large-ish gaps in between the tiling (where I can see). I have spoken to the tiler who says it can be easily rectified (I imagine by adding large grouting) but i think this may make things worse and I'm really not sure what to do. The guy said he was professional, has a company and showed me previous bathrooms (photos) plus a reference. He is nice but always seems to have an excuse (like otherwise the corners would be too sharp - never heard this before).
  • PRO
    Jaimie K Designs Ltd
    very frustrating and what he has done i would not be happy with at all. The tiles should all butt up to each other leaving a straight and even edge on both sides of the corner. If he has cut the tiles short he needs to remove them and fit new ones at his cost. Trim is not there to hide bad tiling finish. A trim can be used on exposed edges but it is better to use the ones that the tile sits into much neater and streamlined. To have no trim and a perfect finish is to have the tiles beveled so they create a proper corner. His overall tiling from the pictures looks fine it is jut the trim that is wrong. I would ask him to remove all the trims and take some pics and lets see what lies behind.
  • PRO
    Stone & Marble Diretto Ltd.
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

I totally agree with Jaimie, please ask the tile to remove the tiles and fit properly the trims( as per photos in the link below) he might claim to be a professional but I think I could see from the photos he can only keep the tiles in a straight level line......

http://www.houzz.co.uk/ideabooks/62380940/thumbs/acessories-details

• PRO
    Casa Ceramica Tile Company
    Hi Jane

What a shame, no professional tiler would usually stick a trim over the top of the finished tiles. A good tiler should be able to mitre the edges of the tiles to create a seamless look. An alternative would be to overlap one tile over the other and polish the edge smooth but this only really looks good if the tile is a full colour bodied porcelain (same colour all the way through). As you can see from the pictures a mitred corner is by far a more superior finish that using trim. At the end of the day if he hasn't done what you asked him to do he was either being very lazy or can't achieve the finish required but if you aren't happy you should certainly ask for it to be changed, it's YOUR bathroom! Hope it all works out.
  • John Hammerton
    I agree with Jamie and Casa.

We have very thin chrome neat trim around the window return in our bathroom. They sit flush with the tiles and are quite a nice feature if done correctly. You can get various thicknesses dependant on the thickness of your tiles.

They can be used a lot to hide poor tiling edges/finishes.

I wouldn't be happy with the end job you were left with, especially if this is something he did off his own back without prior discussion.