Houzz Logo Print
tosca100

Long or short curtain

tosca100
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
Hi
I'm planning to replace the curtains in the master bedroom which would originally have been an upstairs public room so is large. There is a radiator under the window in the bay and also a side window. It's going to take a huge amount of fabric but we don't actually close the curtains as we have roller blinds.
Would short curtains to sill level look odd in a room this size?
Also, it's a bit of a pain pulling 6 individual roller blinds up and down daily but we need them for privacy. Are there any other imaginative / energy and effort saving solutions for this bay window? Thanks

Комментарии: 21

• headers13
    I think short curtains in any room are horrible but just my opinion. What about shutters - expensive but last - let in the light & don't block the radiator. Otherwise would just have roller blinds.
  • lidia
    I like very long curtains spreading over the floor. Chose thermal ones as my window is completely rubbish and there is no radiator under.
    I love shutters and would like to get them for my bay window at living room and dress it with net linen curtains like that one from Ada & Ina
  • PRO
    lovcolours ltd
    it is always a dilemma - to save money or not to save? And on curtains it is almost every time. Curtains make a room look homely and cosy and you need a couple of layers to really achieve the most. You have lots of radiators and if I was you I would like to cover them (curtains or panel), not the most beautiful accessory in the house.
  • sootsprite
    Working roman shades might work. They can be decorative or plain, textured or smooth, lined or not. Do a search for "roman shades" in Houzz photos. Your window bay is an architectural detail you want to feature, not cover up. Also, look up "radiator cover" for creative ideas to celebrate your radiators.
  • Angela Watchorn
    Frame the window with long lush curtains
    Then roller blinds or shutters in each window
    Curtains can draw but mostly there for show
  • PRO
    Inside Studio Ltd
    I agree you need to enhance the shape of the bay window and roman blinds would do that nicely. I just saw this image on instagram, I love the trim which adds a lovely touch of detail especially for a bedroom.
  • PRO
    classy.interiors
    Stick to long! Very classy and elegant in a large window :)
  • tosca100
    Автор
    Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I'm going to explore the shutters and Roman blind options and will let you know what I finally decide. Short curtains are definitely off the short list.
  • PRO
    RD Interior ReDesign & Home Staging
    Hi tosca100, I have used both shutters (plantation style), Roman blinds and curtains in many of my projects and each lends a totally new look to the windows.
    The shutters were used in a 1930s property and also a Victorian extension to a Georgian home they opened up the space in both making the windows appear bigger and uncluttered. They are not as 'cosy' as curtains but do retain heat in a room in fact they help the radiators to work more efficiently because there is no fabric blocking the heat emission.
    A warm, cosy look can be easily attained using Roman blinds and dress curtains i.e. the curtains are not meant to be drawn - this look is quite theatrical (especially if using velvets etc) and look lovely if the right fabrics are used. This look goes particularly well with large windows, if you have a smaller room with corresponding window dress it lightly with roller blind and dress curtains. The photos show shutters in bedroom and living room.
    Glad you are staying away from short curtains by the way :-)
  • JC
    Could you have shutters on just the bottom half of the windows, then you could have the privacy but still let more light in at the top (after shortening/removing the pelmet - maybe someone can add whether that works or not or what you can combine it with, I'm just a bit obsessed with maximising light, must be the time of year!
  • tosca100
    Автор
    I've seen photos of a cafe style shutter which would only cover the bottom half. This would still give us privacy in the bay window but not the side window where we would still need a blind on the upper part. Just not sure if a cafe style would work on an upper floor though or if a shutter and blind combination would look ok.

I'm still a little concerned about making the room dark. The photos of white shutters make the rooms look light and airy but I presume I would need dark wood to match the window frames.
  • Angela Watchorn
    Paint the windows a light colour
  • Laraine Clarke
    I love the look of Roman blinds. I know it's a bit more work opening and closing, but anything you love is worth the work. How about softening the look with full length sheer curtains for a finished decorative look.
  • cammacintyre
    It's not your curtains. The window is lovely but you have obscured and cluttered that vision with your chairs and tables. Rethink the furniture placement and make your lovely window a feature. C
  • cammacintyre
    Me again ... Also reposition where the curtain pieces hang. Leave the two middle sections clear to give a nice open vista.
  • cammacintyre
    ...and have the curtain hanging at the corner.
  • tosca100
    Автор
    Better already!
  • cammacintyre
    I really don't think you need to rush out a spend a great deal of money. Is it a bedroom? A chaise or small sofa by the window to relax with a magazine?
  • sumack5
    Just bought new long curtains from company online don't know if I am allowed to mention name but if so let me know as they are fantastic
  • soozmacrae
    Most definitely long. You could always have dress curtains either side and have some kind of blinds on windows. No need to hand a curtain at every window divider.