Houzz Logo Print
minnows

Omg I just bought a couch and I want to return it but can't. Help me m

minnows
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
Room is across from kitchen at the entrance of the house. Was so sad when they delivered.,.....what was I thinking?
Room is 12x15
Open to hiring pro's.
ok.....imagine if you will. No baby junk

HELP:)

Комментарии: 224

• 3317pearl
    Try moving the sofa to the r hand wall that becomes the hallway, put giant art or fabric hanging behind it to raise your eyes up off of its low back and add accent like pillows onto the sofa. The walls look lite aqua in photos and sofa looks slate blue they seem to fight a bit, maybe paint walls a slightly heavier grey. The round metal end table is great but scale is too small for next to sofa, it would look great between two chairs in front of the windows. could you add a wall unit with bulk and height to the wall the sofa is on now?, of a ladder type unit.
  • dwarren7952
    Lennox tan from Benjamin Moore would be a good pain choice.
  • lgoris
    Love the couch! Put up some pics on the wall, add some accessories, ditch the table (too big, but very nice).
  • sarahhickey22
    I saw that you said you were looking towards the earthy look. Since you said no fireplace or TV what would you be doing with the wall opposite the couch? I think an industrial style pipe shelf built around your window with books, knick knacks etc would look cool. I found the professional looking photo as my I want and in the second photo is our own creation of the "idea" really cheap and easy to build and customized to fit our needs. They do sell them for a bit of money. Construction lumber stained to your floor color and black gas pipe. Would look really cool with that room and couch! Good luck!!
  • PRO
    Kelly
    Put some pics/art pics over the sofa add some decorative throw pillows and a single sofa and add some lamps to the side table, just work with what you got
  • PRO
    Debra Blake Design
    Ikea does a great black and white stripe rug at a great price and for a real statement a classic Persian would be stunning! Add some bright and textured pillows and you have a fab room. A floor lamp pharmacy style, with a drum table in a warm finish and a pouff maybe in charcoal or a pop of orange, mustard or chartreuse would be fun...
  • segur
    if this were my room this is what I would do. First I would put the table against the wall left wall from the sofa and fill the bottom with books (not stacked but straight up). Since you have children I would place runner on the table with a vase and silk flowers or greenery.
    I would put a oval or round rug in front of sofa then two chairs, one at each corner of the rug across from the sofa. I would put three pictures eye level above the sofa and a rectangle mirror with a nice frame above the table. I would get rid of the end table it just seems out of place. A foot lamp on the right side of the sofa and a silk tree on the other side of the sofa.
    Last I would put some colored pillows on the sofa that blends the chairs, sofa and wall color together. If the wall is as shown in the pix I think I would leave it, either way I would keep it a neutral.
  • dorpor
    I suggest you 'open' the wall behind couch to the outside world and appearance of increased space with depth, naturalistic artwork. Use lots of rounded edges, pillows, artcraft item to soften those angles in the room. Can you split the table in half or thirds, and just use a piece or two?
  • fourmcgowans
    I like the sofa. You could easily add some pillows along the back to soften it up. pale gold or off white with alot of texture.
  • toodlesbug
    What were you thinking? That you have a beautiful house, and this couch will fit right in, and it will. Paint: A warm, darkish khaki. Loads of paintings and odd bits on the wall behind the couch. Warm end tables w/three drawers each (basket drawers would work) on each side of the couch. Cute lamps. Just fill the space up with things you love. Then get a larger rug -- your floors are beautiful, but a big short-pile rug (white?) would look good there. The problem now is that your decor is too sparse, too tentative. Go find what you love and bring it in. The picture window with the white trim will be perfect with it.
  • PRO
    Reflecting Design
    I do not understand the color of the walls. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the couch but the wall color does nothing for me. why are interior designers in love with white or shades thereof.I have never been to a palace in Europe and encountered white walls. people should take a lesson from this. white is dull, cold, character less, un opinionated. put that couch against a deep color and your room will be welcoming and rich.
  • michlaw56
    i think the couch is great. Anchor the room with an asian type rug. I think that that will help the table not look so big. Also some art on the wall behind the sofa, a tall lamp and a big plant woûd add some height and balance things out.
  • horselover222
    Please tell me you didn't get rid of that table?!!!!
  • missym49
    Just follow Vallieres advice. She had great ideas and you need a rug. Like the lighter wall color and not accent wall. A couple of chairs as she said and a picture or wall art that you and your husband truly like. Make it timeless don't rush it.
  • missym49
    By the way love your kitchen and you have good taste. The table was neat. But it was kinda big and pointy for young kids. Good decision.
  • jlourens
    Love all the ideas - have to see what it looks like when done - please do post some final photos. Good luck!
  • Arizona Snoopy
    The sofa needs the accessories to balance it all and raise the eye from the coffee table. Wall art (I love metal panels to bring in color and texture and some shine), and lamps scaled to the right size would make a huge difference. I would probably change the orientation of the room and place the sofa along the long wall and get one or two armchairs. the chrome table doesn't do it for me, either, it screams "no other place for this do here will do." I would use a distressed iron, and match the tables in shape and aesthetic to the coffee table; not exactly the same, but not completely different.
  • bandreone
    I like the couch and a large coffee table is very useful. I would live with them for awhile and then try to tie them together.
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    Keep the price tag on the couch.
  • tj9961
    Love the blue/lime rug Darzy suggested! I would even keep the table! Face the sofa toward the windows. Definitely use a large print above the sofa! Accent with green from the rug. Definitely add a couple chairs for additional seating as this is a large room. I think the sofa is lost in it. Consider some shelving on the end wall between the windows and opposite wall. The shelves can hold beautiful baskets and boxes for toys. Place family photos and decorative items on higher shelves for personal touch! Good Luck!
  • Amanda Roderick
    All 3 tables are very different. If you used matching wood tables & nice solid neutral wool rug it would look nice. Tasteful art which is proportionate to the wall space, and perhaps wall & window treatments like cotton velvet curtains, just play it safe if using prints.
  • jillybeansisme
    I just want to congratulate you on your new baby and tell you to cut yourself some slack. You have a great couch. I agree with you on the decision to return the table. Not because it was so big, but because in a year when the baby is crawling, you don't want him to get hurt. Even though it's an adult space, the kids will find it! You've had so much advice MY head is spinning.

You need more seating. A couple of chairs angled with a table and lamp in between them perpendicular to the couch, an ottoman used as a table (perhaps with storage) that has soft edges (for baby), and perhaps some poufs lined up in front of the windows for extra seating, and a rocker opposite the 2 chairs. Get it all in coordinating colors you like that also have a touch of blue in some of them. Get an area rug big enough to ground it all. Whether it's from Walmart, Ikea, or some other place even a carpet store where you have wall to wall bound as an area rug, it needs texture or pattern. You need artwork or a big mirror behind the couch no matter which wall you put the couch on (I like it across from the windows). Then perhaps some plants.

Still, reread my very first sentence.
  • tomlori32
    Sorry don't mean to be rude but that coffee table does not help the room at all. Get a new coffee table & accent tables and some colorful rugs and pillows. The room to me is begging for some color that is all.
  • tomlori32
    New tables and color color color.
  • goodewyfe
    One picture had a coffee table that was almost oval and the top was glass or synthetic with a wood bottom - the sofa was similar to yours, the walls were a nice grey and I think the rug had a lot of red in it. I liked that one. Just add the right coffee table, nice artwork over the sofa wall (where you have it facing the window), a pretty rug and change the paint (I liked some of the grey ones in various pictures) If you can manage the cost, get a couple of comfortable chairs in a color that picks up a color in the rug you choose, but don't try to match the chairs to the sofa color. Good luck!
  • goodewyfe
    PS: I meant to say that I think the sofa is stylish and very "smart" looking. Baby Luke, your new design consultant!
  • yvonne53
    Shift the couch opposite the windows. Fill the table with baskets to obscure clutter. Find your favorite color and a color you look good in and go from pale to hot til you find a color you love. Use it to accessorize. Use pattern you love with some of that color your love. Navy is a neutral, so all colors work. Fill the wall where the couch is now with a large bookcase or a gallery of art using different shapes when possible not rectangles. Set two upholstered chairs in front of bookcase. Above couch, maybe a mirror to reflect light or a large piece of art to offset the large table.
  • Liz B
    Love groveraxel rendering! I too agree the couch needs to move to the other wall. The you could have some nice bookshelves on the wall where you placed the couch with plenty of storage for toys on the bottom. Please show us what you come up with!
  • royalpayne
    I'm seeing beach. Light sand walls, white trim. The table looks 'drift woody' to me. Low large glass bowl with sand, shells on it. Seas prints, or a collage of canvas squares painted pastel greens, blues, browns on the wall. Lose the mis matched end tables. Re-place with either small river birch in pots, or a tall grass with cat tails inserted. Good luck!
  • dempsey2012
    No sofa looks good in an empty room. I would suggest you find an inspiration room to start to figure out additional items for the room. Perhaps some throw cushions with other colours will help you to start to pull the room together with curtains and paint colour. I would definitely go with a deeper, warmer colour to give your room more punch and depth. The silver table does not blend well with the style of the sofa and offers little in grounding the space. I think you will be better served by a piece of furntiure that offers a little more warmth and practical storage for toys, etc. Good choice to get rid of the coffee table. In fact, it should be that last thing you buy after the rug and curtains and painting as the space will then dictate the size and style of the coffee table better.
  • conniek1242
    Groveraxle,

love your design with the orange chair. You have a great eye.
  • PRO
    Couture Interior Stylist
    I like the chrome table,would def keep that.... The coffee table is part of your problem as it is too big and is fighting with your cool new couch for control of the room. It is also too angular to go with the angular couch. I would suggest a lower round or oval coffee table in a warmer colour to go with the blue of the couch. I really like the IKEA Stockholm coffee table with its warm yellow wood. Also I would bring in a proper side table for the other side, TV trays lend too much of an impermanence to a room. Make sure you choose a rug large enough for the room, or two more inexpensive ones and have them sewn together. Having little ones is a good excuse to try a loud rug with lots of colour as it hides stains well! Good luck and don't worry, it's a great couch and will be a pleasure to nap in with your babies!
  • jlourens
    Any progress made yet? Eager to see what it looks like
  • maggiemae0552
    Welllllll??? How did it turn out??
  • User
    Benjamin Moore Stone Hearth goes beautifully with blue
  • jlourens

Please let us know - cannot wait to see the end result

• carolyngarland
    Really like " fair lighting's" pictures. Couch on wall across from windows, takes advantage of the view. Walls a darker grey , not dark, and a true grey no blue, no accent wall, the room is not big enough. Pottery barn has some great rugs , muted blues and grays. Two chair across from couch, silver table in between. Console on the end as shown in previous picture. Colors seem to be blue, grey, white, Browns (floor and table) silver. Just pick one or two accent colors and stop. Keep it simple and classic, ie the kitchen and family room.
  • auntqueenie

I agree with having the sofa ( which I like) against the wall facing the window and painting that wall a deep grey that has a blue hue. Your hardwood floors are a rich (Orange toned) wood. I would get a rug that picks up the colors of your sofa, and artwork with neutral colors. Nothing too busy. The floor has a lot of texture to it so you don't want the rug to compete with the floor, but instead compliment. Rugs bring balance and center the look of your room. Make sure the rug is the appropriate size. Invest in two good, solid end tables in a clean line style, but not modern like chrome. Stay with a wood finish. It doesn't need to match the color of wood in the coffee table but wood has a warmer feel. Get 2 table lamps in the appropriate size and style. Hang a nice large art piece above the sofa. Put 2 chairs in front of the window, or put them in the corner next to the window with a table and another lamp. You can set them away from the wall so it won't feel like your being punished. Lol. I don't care for floor lamps. Your look is modern mid century meets rustic transitional. I would use only wood, wood with a low tone metal, and stay away from shiny chrome that has a too modern and cold vibe.

• victoriaaida
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

I actually like the couch as well. I would consider pairing it with some finishes that incorporate antiqued gold or weathered brass if you are open to the mid-century modern kind of vibe (walnut or mango wood would also look pretty nice). Check out "Dwell Studio" for some furniture that could really go with that sofa... and if the price point is too high, than use it as a reference and find similar alternatives. I also agree with some of the other comments that an area rug is an important addition and I would keep it simple, classic and neutral so that it does not compete with other textures and design elements in the room.

• carolyngarland
    Is this space to be a formal living room, the family room or the single great room. Paint walls a soft blue grey. Move couch to other wall, with single lg art over it to a grouping. Two chairs in front of the window table between, area rug to your taste, softly patterned drapes , pillows. Either a console table as suggested or a large storage unit on the current sofa wall. This should be based on storage needs. Sofa is neutral and could go in any style direction. Don't know your taste.
  • sheilaskb

I would suggest you have built-ins, including shelves and closets for toys and baby equipment, put along the solid wall where you now have the couch. Then, I would suggest you put the couch on the solid wall around the corner, where you now have the baby-bounce set and little chair. I know it is frustrating to live with children's belongings, but the storage will help you enjoy your home and your children.

• Dee Smith

KEEP the sofa, get rid of the tables! Purchase a round low coffee table... you have a baby that will turn into a toddle, and trust me... you will be kissing booboos all day long from the baby hitting their head on the corner of the table1 A walnut or even pecan wood table would look very nice and break up all the straight lines in the room. Next, you really need a large mirror or picture to go above the sofa and flank it with (if it is a mirror) 2 pictures, and (if it is a picture) 2 mirrors. Then flank the sofa with (2) multi-tiered end tables off Craigslist or from a second hand store. Look for something with simple clean lines, boxy, and in good shape. Then if they are not the right color to match the coffee table, either re-stain them (they make products that can be applied over finishes) or you can paint them an accent color (maybe something from a throw pillow or blanket for the sofa). Place a plant on the top rear of one and a retro lamp on the other with a nice white lamp shade in whatever shape that strikes your fancy. You should have an area rug too, (color(s) would be based on what you want for an accent color in this room) and I would use a rectangular one to offset the round coffee table. I would also purchase a storage cabinet (wood, multi-door, paneled doors) to store your child's toys and books, etc. I would not paint the wall behind the sofa in dark blue or even any blue, but you could consider a paprika red and paper the window wall and opposing wall in something like:

http://www.wmgallery.org.uk/collection/browse-the-collection/wild-tulip-wallpaper-b20a-designed-1884-registered-21-november-1884/object-type/wallpapers/page/1

(William Morris Gallery Wallpaper)

Or if that seems like too much wallpaper, you could just do the wall behind the sofa and paint the walls the same shade as the tan in the print. If you do that, I would try to find solid color or geometric print drapes/curtains for your windows in the same shade as the orange/red color in the wallpaper. You could do a multi-beige/tan area rug if you go with this print as well. I would also keep the trim white and install cove molding if you don't already have crown molding, and use a good 6" base board with 1/4 round too... don't use 4" baseboard, it is too thin. If you want some metal in the room - use it on the lamps and mirror(s), and any accent pieces you want to display, but I would go with brass or antique brass, because of the color scheme. You can use a chair or (2) in this room as well - something like: Ethan Allen - Randall Chair: fabric 13618 (Keeler Coral) and finish 934 (Umber).

FYI - Dark oranges with dark shades of beige/tan look really nice with dark blue. Other color schemes you can consider if you really do not like orange are:

• Dark Blue sofa with Behr paint: Corn Husk (pale natural green), with french blue (Sherwin Williams - French Moire SW 9056) and little splashes or deep dark orangy reds, or oriental poppy red for accent colors. This would create a cheerful and soothing room.

• Dark Blue sofa with Sherwin Williams paint: Solaria (SW 6688), Gray Screen (SW 7071, and French Moire (SW 9056) and dark wood tones for accent pieces (carvings, drift wood (stained and shellac coating, picture frames, candle holders, etc.), pewter metals for decorative items (picture frames, mirror frames, lamps, candle holders etc.), and white trim. This would make for a calm and toned down but happy room.

• Dark Blue sofa with jewel tones is an option as well. Jewel tones are: dark emerald green, deep ruby red, golden citrine, and deep peacock blue... go well with darker stains or dark golden umber woods (ex. cup coasters, wood shutters, trim work, wainscoting), and brass metal tones (ex. picture frames, paperweights, candle holders, lamps) . Usually involves an oriental rug and classic furniture shapes.

Hope this helps some... really hard to give advise when we don't know what your taste is: Modern, Classic, Traditional, Oriental, Retro, Mid-Century Modern, Millenial Modern, Country, French Country, Tuscan, etc.

• wallizgrl

So, I'm super late to the party but can I see the room? Is it finished? It took me FOREVER to get my living room to where I'm pleased with it so I know how hard this is... :)

• User
    I like the couch! A true grey would be beautiful with an area rug that has some of the blue in it but is colorful enough you could pick other colors in the rug to do art and pillows. Don't worry, it will come together!
  • heartlander

Minnows, I LOVE that sofa. The deep grey in the "colorful London" pic looks fab with the jewel blue. No accent color wall, please. It can look OK in a larger room, but not so hot in a smaller room. Think about the deep grey walls, monochromatic naturalistic art over sofa, textural linen draperies in a natural/oatmeal-y finish, hung close to the ceiling with bamboo shades filling the space between rod and top of window. Be patient and eventually collect a pair of outstanding rattan or MCM chairs* for opposite the sofa, a chrome table, a drift wood-colored table, and a rug with color and pattern. The Nourisan "Timeless" rug in Valliere's post above is just perfect. I even see the far wall where you first located the sofa as a span of shallow floor-to-ceiling built in shelves painted the same dark grey (semi-gloss) as the (flat) walls -to add the perception of height, and provide visual interest via carefully edited shelf styling. Whatever direction you go, please do keep us updated as you add to this very nice room! *Vintage chairs are great for a room this size. They aren't MONSTER sized like modern chairs too often are. Watch Craig's List, etc.

• drdeb1234
    Old post
  • wickedwhite
    Add some art?
  • zzmom40
    I love your blue sofa!!!! Good call on returning cocktail table....need smaller....here are some living spaces with blue sofas for inspiration..image three has a end table idea you could bring in a bright color on each side of sofa...or stick with bright white that always looks fresh with the blue....I would love to see a large scale wallpaper on the wall behind sofa...you have the perfect opportunity rather than paint.
  • zzmom40
    Just some examples of large pattern wallpapers...your sofa has a more contemporary feel so this wallpaper would really go well in your space.
  • tgb1

Post is a year old. Would be nice to know what Minnows ended up doing...