Houzz Logo Print
klekas65

Need Help Deciding on How to Cut Granite

klekas65
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
Downsized and bought a smaller home - ranch - yeah. This is good. Now I need to update. I just had an island built and the granite guy comes tomorrow to determine how to cut the granite. I thought 9" overhang would suffice but after reading on Houzz it appears I should go at least 12". The island is about 9' long (backing up to great room), 3.75' at the angle, and 2.4' at the end (in front of slider door). What to do? I don't want any overhang at the very end of the island backing up to kitchen wall (walkway). Do I just come straight down, angle a bit, and then finish up going towards kitchen wall? Or do I round the entire end, keeping the final side flush with the counter? I just can't decide and do not want to make a mistake. Any thoughts?

Комментарии: 25

• PRO
    A Crew of Two
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
    Are you putting stools on the overhang side? I would want at least 18" to 24" between the sink and seating....12" is tight.
  • klekas65
    Автор
    Yes, hoping to have 4 or 5 stools - thinking no back stools backing up to family room, maybe highback stools at the end?
  • leelee
    Love black & white tiles but love them more laid on the diagonal.
    klekas65 поблагодарил(а): leelee
  • leelee
    You need to have room to put your knees under the bar. A Crew of Two is right.
    klekas65 поблагодарил(а): leelee
  • klekas65
    Автор
    Black and white floor is coming up - putting down Bella Verona Forli throughout home. Not a big fan of the floor.
  • klekas65
    Автор
    However, I do love it at an angle - but I have to admit it was the first thing we tore up.
  • klekas65
    Автор
    And painting the cabinets white - which brings up another question - should I paint island a darker gray (all walls are SW Mindful Gray. Thinking maybe Gauntlet Gray for island cabinets.
  • klekas65
    Автор
    Doing Wainscott on the outside of island
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    You need to engineer support for the overhang into the island. And that OSB back won't do that. That needs to be removed, and plywood attached. 1/2" minimum, 3/4" is better. No CDX. You want a good cabinet grade without voids in it so that it is strong enough to be weight bearing.

Determine how much of an overhang that you want ( I would want the NKBA recommended minimum of 15" at least) and then see if you are OK with using corbels that will need to support that. There are also steel supports that can be routed into the cabinet to support an overhang invisibly, but the island needs to be routed for that. There is also the option of using a table leg and stretchers like support a table. Those can work as well until you get into the deeper overhangs, and then you also need some steel to reinforce them if you will be using a heavy stone top.

237mom, what type of support did you choose for your island? It looks to be the invisible steel?
    klekas65 поблагодарил(а): ProSource Memphis
  • klekas65
    Автор
    ProSource - I believe something different was used on the backside of the island (I didn't take a picture) but I will look into this before the granite is installed. Good tip - would never have thought of that one!
  • User
    No fabricator that I've dealt with would template that. It's substandard construction and has no counter support. It's not ready for a template. If they showed up and were presented with that, they'd charge you a trip charge and reschedule. Stone overhangs are heavy and have a great deal of liability attached to them. If they templated and attached stone to that structure, and then someone leaned on it and it broke and smashed their foot, they woud be exposing themselves to a lawsuit. You would also be liable as well. You need to design this properly first.
  • klekas65
    Автор
    There is a wall built with 2x4's all around the outside of the island under the "plywood" - looks incredibly strong to me. Does this help?
  • PRO
    Maryland Residential Design & Construction, LLC
    Klekas what you have here is fine. Your putting in a granite counter top, not putting a man on the moon. Here are some things to consider:
    I would not do any overhang greater than 15" with Granite, and with that you will need some type of support which your granite supplier can give recommendation on... Corbels or brackets are fine but they will need to work with your wainscoting design and not added in random places. If possible, it is better to add brakets or corbels after your granite is installed so you know it is making contact with both material planes. On top of vertical 1x in the wainscoting would give it more strength.
    I would cut back the wall that is currently sitting flush at the end of the cabinet to the depth of wainscoting so your wainscoting sits flush with your cabinet and will be consistent with your granite edge.
    I would add your wainscoting before you template your granite.
    Good luck with your project...
    klekas65 поблагодарил(а): Maryland Residential Design & Construction, LLC
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    The 2"x material only makes a difference if that if those 2"x's are the attachment points for the counter support. If any of the counter support would be through the OSB alone, then it needs to be removed and ply installed. OSB isn't strong enough over time to work for that application.
    klekas65 поблагодарил(а): ProSource Memphis
  • klekas65
    Автор
    Maryland - thank you and everyone for taking the time to help me on this. Not sure what you mean by cutting back the wall - I'm guessing you mean the support wall that we just can't remove - much to my dismay. The wainscoting will butt up to this wall, where the granite will also begin - I hope this doesn't look weird but I don't know what else to do?
  • klekas65
    Автор
    Pro Memphis - I do believe the 2x4s will be the counter support - it's rock solid - contractor is very good so fingers crossed. Thank you for the advice I truly appreciate it!
  • klekas65
    Автор
    Maryland - would love to have less overhang but want it to be comfortable - 12 - 13" okay?
  • PRO
    Maryland Residential Design & Construction, LLC
    Klekas, I was talking about the exposed 2x4 at the end of the cabinet run. Once you wrap that with trim or 1x it is going to stick out +/- 3/4" past the end of your cabinet. You would'nt be moving the wall just the 2x4 on the end and use a saws/all to trim the plywood, and top and bottom plate. It is not a must do you will just have to bring the granite out past the furthest point of the trim.
    I usually do 12" O.H. on my projects and have never had a complaint about knee space. The OH size is also a function of the floor plan and making sure it does not impede flow and does not pinch off access to any areas around the counter top.
  • klekas65
    Автор
    Thank you Maryland for your advice. I am on it! So many details. I am an accountant and all I have to do is make numbers balance.....you guys who can figure this stuff out are amazing!,
  • User
    You need corbels attached every 24'', with them extending out to cover 75% of the overhang. A 12'' overhang needs at least 9'' projecting corbels. If you used the traditional spacing of 16'' on center for the pony wall studs, then the corbels will not be attaching into the studs. They will need a structural surface to attach to. Plywood. Not Oriented Strand Board. Remove the OSB and replace it with actual plywood.
    klekas65 поблагодарил(а): User
  • User
    Your layout is similar to mine, although given the total space we use just two barstools on the angled side. Mine has about a nine inch overhang and it's plenty comfortable to sit at. There is a complete finished/stained piece of plywood under the granite that almost meets the granite turned under edge. My contractor also installed corbels. While I have no intention, he says I can stand on it with no problem.
    klekas65 поблагодарил(а): User
  • 237mom
    Pro source Memphis when I took that photo I was waiting for a wine rack to be built, that added about 15" underneath the end of the counter.
  • User
    Any granite overhang over 9'' needs some type of support. It's unsafe without it.
  • klekas65
    Автор
    Went with 12". Perfect for anyone to fit comfortably!