Houzz Logo Print
kgallagher

Painted Kitchen Cabinets, Kitchen Makeover on a Budget

Karen Gallagher Interiors
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
Kitchen was updated by painting existing oak cabinets inside and out, adding architectural details, new hardware, appliances and marble counter tops. The existing under mount stainless sink was salvaged and re-installed. Yes, you CAN under mount a drop-in sink! The original 1890 wood floor was found under two layers of vinyl, Had it sanded and stained dark. Gorgeous!

Комментарии: 183

• PRO
    Автор
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

Hi durri, The cabinet (and trim) color is Sherwin Williams "Marshmallow", my favorite go-to white. Not too bright, not too gray, not too creamy. Good luck!

• amymc16
    Karen, beautiful. Floors are gorgeous. Can you please tell me the wall colour you choose, looks like it has a slight blue tone to it?
    Karen Gallagher Interiors поблагодарил(а): amymc16
  • PRO
    ProHoods

Wonderful job! Thank you for sharing this project with us! Love the "Marshmallow trim and cabinet color against those very pale blue walls. Those new appliances really made a difference too!

Karen Gallagher Interiors поблагодарил(а): ProHoods
  • PRO
    User

Nice work!

Karen Gallagher Interiors поблагодарил(а): User
  • PRO
    Hornell Furniture Outlet

Love the white cabinets! Great work!

Karen Gallagher Interiors поблагодарил(а): Hornell Furniture Outlet
  • PRO
    M&R Custom Millwork Inc

Great kitchen makeover on a budget. What a difference paint can make.

• PRO
    Lex Construction, Inc.

Wow. Marble on a budget! You really did it all! Saving money on the cabinets, floors and everywhere else, I would have went with marble too! Your new kitchen does not look like it was redone on a budget at all thanks to that marble top! Great job! Beautifully done!

• mnester17
    Love the bead board. Just the right mix of old with new
    Karen Gallagher Interiors поблагодарил(а): mnester17
  • PRO
    Genest Builders

great reuse of oak cabinets.

Karen Gallagher Interiors поблагодарил(а): Genest Builders
  • hoya7127
    Looks great! I see you have risers on the countertops and a backsplash. I was advised to remove my granite riser and backsplash all the way to the counter. Any thoughts on that or what was your thought process? Thanks!
    Karen Gallagher Interiors поблагодарил(а): hoya7127
  • PRO
    Автор

hoya7127, I am not sure what you are referring to by riser and backsplash. Are you referring to the beadboard that runs behind the 4" splash?

• hoya7127
    Sorry, guess I misspoke. Yes the marble piece under the bead board. I have a similar piece, but should I remove it when putting in a backsplash or is it ok to install the backsplash above it? Hope that makes sense. Thanks.
  • PRO
    Автор

Yes, now I understand what you are asking. Will you be installing a tile backsplash? Or wood, as pictured here? I've seen it done both ways. In this case, the walls were so damaged from removing the existing tile, that I needed a solid level surface to mount the splash to, so I ran the beadboard behind it. Also, I didn't want the beadboard sitting right on the stone counter surface because of spills/potential water damage. It is not necessary to remove the 'splash before adding the wall treatment behind/above it. I have seen tile installed above the 'splash to the bottom of the cabinets and it looks great. I hope this helps you with your decision!

• hoya7127
    Thanks! Makes perfect sense what you did with the bead board and splash now. Thanks for explaining your logic. I currently have the 4" splash and painted walls above it. May put in some subway tiles though.
  • Mimi Jensen
    Gorgeous!! Question: Were these cabinets ALL solid wood? I want to do the same to mine. Mine are maple but just found out the front is Maple, but the sides are veneered. Would painting work on my kind of cabinets? Thanks!!
  • PRO
    Автор

I believe it would, but I recommend you ask your experienced painter, or inquire at your local paint store.

• forrobinsmail
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

Hoya, I am a DIY'er in a major budget. I did my oak cabinets in white, found granite for $28 sq. ft. installed (wish I could have afforded white marble, but this was better than the laminate that was there) and put white marble subways, from HD @ $5.xx sq.ft.from the splash to the bottom of the cabinets. I did it in stages because I couldn't afford it all at once. I got major deals on everything else, too, except the leather flooring, which I don't regret.

Mimi, the sides of my cabinets are some cheap non-wood veneer, as well, and they were not a problem to paint. It's been a number of years now, but I think I used a Zinzer 123 primer. It may or may not have taken another coat or two( sorry the memory fades), but it worked fine and has held up well. I wanted a glossy surface because it's clean looking, cleans easily and brings more light. I used a cabinet & trim paint first, but have gone over it with a coat of Glidden gel paint. It's spendier and stinks badly for a couple weeks, but the finish is great and you don't have to do much prep and don't even have to take your doors down if you don't want. It only came in white which is what I wanted anyways, but comes in colors now. I've redone all my trim with it too and couldn't be happier.

Hope this helps you ladies!

• Mimi Jensen
    Karen Gallagher, it was only $800 to paint the cabinets?! Even with a pro? I have a small 10x12 kitchen, estimates I've been getting from painters are closer to $2K! I think this painting option has become so popular that all painters are cashing in on it around me. Thanks for your response, I continue everyday to bug my husband to paint out yellowed Maple old cabinets white, he doesn't believe me it would look good?!
  • forrobinsmail

Mimi, Have you ever heard of or used chalk paint. I refinished some furniture pieces about a year ago with CeeCee Caldwell's chalk paint. I wish I had known about it when I did my kitchen and may have tried it. I did quite a bit of research before I purchased as there are different brands. Annie Sloan's is the most popular, but after a bit of research I chose the CeeCee Caldwell because it seemed easier to use and more forgiving, based on a lot of reviews and watching some YouTube videos. It was super easy to use, totally green, no odor, no prep, reasonably priced and looks great. You could do it with doors on if you wanted. The only mistake I made was not to use the sealant for surfaces that may get wet(on my dining table). I thought you put it on after the wax which goes on over the paint, but apparently it goes underneath. :-/ I wasn't sure how it would work in a kitchen, or bath which is my next re-do project, but heard from someone on another post that they used it in a kitchen and it has held up well. If you want they make sample size containers which are actually big enough to do a small piece of furniture that you could try if it sounds like something you would like. It is more of a French Country or shabby chic look. I think my dining set looks like the much more expensive sets from RH, but in any case are a flat finish. You can keep it clean or distress or age. Just another thought if you want to take the plunge yourself and don't want to break the bank. I would rather spend my dollars on the counters and appliances.

• PRO
    Hamilton Klow Architects

Everything looks great. Nice job.

Karen Gallagher Interiors поблагодарил(а): Hamilton Klow Architects
  • PRO
    Cabinets & Designs

Beautiful kitchen!

Karen Gallagher Interiors поблагодарил(а): Cabinets & Designs
  • PRO
    Success Floors LLC.

Wow..

• Karen Hornick

We have started a remodel for dated 1950's kitchen cabinets, We chose Benjamin Moore Advance in Simply white. When we purchased it , I did not think about the finish and they did not ask. It was mixed as a satin finish and I am concerned if this will clean up well or should I have gotten a semi-gloss paint.

• PRO
    Автор

Yikes, satin finish on kitchen cabinets won't clean nearly as well as semi-gloss. I highly recommend semi-gloss. Hopefully the cabinets haven't been painted yet with satin!

• Karen Hornick

Thanks for the advice!!

No, we are in the priming stages right now.....I will have to see if they will let me exchg the 2 gallons I purchased!!

• PRO
    NICHEdg

Karen, congratulations on starting your remodeling project. While satin finish does provide some increased durability, semi-gloss is definitely the better option for your kitchen. It will stand up much better to the wear and traffic that your kitchen will get over the years.

Happy remodeling!

• Kevin Bell
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

It looks beautiful, usually I'm a bit iffy about whites. I actually have a white-themed kitchen and the white floors get dirty, or noticeably dirty, i should say, very quickly. But you won't have this issue with your hardwood floor. However, an all white wall setup.... it'll be tricky to keep white, with grease and steam filling up the room when you cook.

• PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design

Looks great!

Karen Gallagher Interiors поблагодарил(а): Raegan Ford Interior Design
  • Alicia Ogilvie

What kind of professional did you hire to paint the cabinets? I heard you need someone who is used to doing it because it is mostly in the prep work.

• PRO
    Автор

Dear Alicia Ogilvie,

I hired professional painters to spray prime and paint the cabinets. I did the prep work myself, which included a good cleaning and thorough sanding of the stained cabinet surfaces. This is not a large kitchen so it required some time but was not difficult.

Karen

• Alicia Ogilvie

Thank you:) We have a smaller galley kitchen and heard it was a lot of work to prep ourselves. I appreciate the feedback

• PRO
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Great job!! I like the choice of hardware!

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.

Awesome work!

• lhbrgr

We just bought a house with the exact same vinyl in the kitchen. Did it turn out to be asbestos? I'd really like to remove mine to see what's underneath!

Karen Gallagher Interiors поблагодарил(а): lhbrgr
  • PRO
    Hammer Design Build Remodel

Great work!

Karen Gallagher Interiors поблагодарил(а): Hammer Design Build Remodel
  • lmuhrich
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

This is my kitchen I want it to look like yours? Do I have a chance???

• PRO
    Автор
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 5
    Yes! You have shaker style cabinets and panel drawers which would look updated and so much more modern painted white! Then change the countertops!
  • PRO
    Scott Hall Remodeling
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 4

Nice!

• Jennifer Laughlin
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 3

I love your kitchen and am trying to achieve a similar look in mine. Where did you get your hardware? Thanks so much!

• PRO
    Автор

Found the hardware at ReStore!

• PRO
    K Interior Design Group

Amazing job!!

• Jennifer Laughlin

I love ReStore. So cool that you found the hardware there!

• Dan Bowsman

I like your kitchen. It's so cool!

• PRO
    Автор

Thanks, Dan Bowsman. This kitchen was completed a few years ago. Classic choices stand the test of time!

• laddie903

Do you know the name of the very light blue paint color? It looks so pretty with the white cabinets.

• PRO
    Автор

Wall color is Wickham Gray, Ben Moore

• J D
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

Wow looks much better! Love the light fixtures chosen. I did like the delft looking backsplash before and the wavy thing above the window. I’m a sucker for vintage stuff lol

• cupofkindnessgw

Stunning transformation. Thank you for inspiring so many to think outside of the box!

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.

Great work!

• PRO
    Evolution Group

Lovely. What paint color did you use?