Houzz Logo Print
ceciliamacpherson

Need help with living room

ceciliamacpherson
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
Looking for help with a new living room colour and help with accessories. My style is a little bit traditional and a little bit modern. Looking to make the room a little bit more neutral but cohesive and want to work the red chair seamlessly into the design.

Thank you for any help you can provide,

CM

Комментарии: 79

• ceciliamacpherson
    Автор
    All of the furniture is new except for the rug so I won't be looking to replace it for quite some time. Definitely looking to get a new rug and open to any additional furniture that would work with the room. The art work is my sons which I have accumulated over the years. You can see some more of his artwork here: www.seanrobertm.com

I have attached some photos of various other pieces that could be hung over the couch. Thank you for your help,

CM
  • ceciliamacpherson
    Автор
    Here are some more closeups
  • groveraxle
    Ooooooooooooh, LOVE your son's work. Love that you have a source for original art. Perhaps you could offer to host a rotating gallery for him, with the proviso that if he sells something and takes it off your wall, he must replace it pronto. ;-)

I am now inspired. Monochromatic all the way with just a bit of red. If all his prints are the same size, I recommend only two over the couch. The canvas piece is even a hair too long for that space.

I am going to look for the perfect rug to tie it together. I'll return when I find it.
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): groveraxle
  • abbyjean
    True talent. Your son has a gift!
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): abbyjean
  • Angel 18432
    Love his work also.
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): Angel 18432
  • groveraxle
    Changed out your lamp shade, added a lusher plant and a pillow.
  • oldstones
    Thanks for the closeups of the artwork - it is really lovely! So I take back my comment about it - it just did not show up in the photos. I think the wall paint color is your biggest problem - comes off as a mustard color in your photos. Change it to something more neutral and lighter - either a taupe beige or gray white and the whole space will come alive.
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): oldstones
  • Shannon Olden
    i would go with a traditional rug to soften the geometric shapes and corners.
    Hand-Tufted Oriental Pattern Wool Red/Taupe Area Rug, 8 x 10 · Еще
    more cusions on the couch and chair. http://made2measure.next.co.uk/cushions/interim/663
    get ds to paint something more horizontal for over the couch http://www.osnatfineart.com/painting/5620-when-i-was-younger that adds in one more colour so it is not all red and brown. toss a nice nubby throw on the couch http://www.wayfair.com/Woven-Workz-Manchester-Woven-Throw-021-0-WWZ1005.html?csnpt=SS49-WWZ1005_4081267&PiID%5B0%5D=4081267&SSAID=256758&refid=SS256758&df=1 i would paint at least one wall red. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/red-living-room;jsessionid=J5QTJqnKVMSLtQFwyYhp2g8vWq3JpB2hyKp82GRPQQ32f9d5QhRh!-1408318522!NONE you will have a very cozy room!
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): Shannon Olden
  • judithlea
    Move the front legs of the chair and sofa onto the rug.
    Lower the paintings.
    BIG plant in the corner
    Raise and widen the curtains then lengthen w/ red bands at top to bring attention up or bottom to bring your eyes lower. Easy diy project. After raising the curtain rod, measure how much you need to lengthen them and add 1 1/2" for 1/2" seams (e.g. 21" +1 1/12" this is your cutting length. Measure width of curtain and side hems then add 1" for seams. Divide by width by 3 (21/3= 7); measure up from bottom (e.g. 7"+ 1" for seams=8"); cut here.
    Using fusible hem tape or sewing turn under 1/2" on each side of a red band; then turn again matching hem size on original panel. Attach band to curtain panel using hem tape. DONE. Pintrest has llots of tutorials on this. A print or stripe w/ red, black and your wall color would be great.
    Then i'd go with a red l
    I
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): judithlea
  • judithlea
    Oops hit the wrong place on iPad screen.
    Red lamp shade
    A little red something such as berries in the coffee table arrangement.
    Then you could keep the rug or buy one like the contemporary ones pictured above.
  • judithlea
    P.s. Forgot to say that i love your son's art work. You are so lucky to have access to such wonderful pieces.
  • jillbertsch
    CM, can't wait to see after photos of what you create in this space.
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): jillbertsch
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    love the art! congrats on such a talent!
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): flair lighting
  • PRO
    Divine Makeover
    Beautiful art, great talent
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): Divine Makeover
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    Your son's art is beautiful! Fill your home and wrap your color schemes around it. He should have a profile and post his outstanding talent here on Houzz!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): Thos. Baker
  • karielen
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
    Love your son's artwork! I would consider switching out the artwork periodically so you have a chance to enjoy it all. I wouid go with a light neutral in order to showcase the art, perhaps a shade of white for the wall. I would go with pillows picking up the red and some of the predominant colors in your son's art and perhaps with some texture. For the rug, I would consider a multicolored rug in a muted pattern that could pick up some of the various colors in the art. One example might be something like a jute rug per example below:
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Napa-Natural-Herringbone-Handmade-Jute-Rug-80-x-100/8345661/product.html?refccid=JM36FIM3JEQYNK2H3XBGROJGXY&searchidx=23
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): karielen
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    Here are a few suggestions:

Tables are nice but the end table is too big beside your sofa. Look for something less bulky and lower. Don't worry if it's not the same look or style as the coffee table. NO NEED TO MATCH. Perhaps you can find a nice RED side table (Ikea carries nice warm red toned woods). Also a little "bling" in the room would help -- a metal lamp with a lighter shade would work. As others have pointed out, pictures are too high - a long horizontal piece of art with red in it would look great. Plant in corner should be bigger - a grouping of plants would fill up that space nicely. Rug is too small and a bit too geometric. A bigger rug with mustard and reds tones on a neutral background will tie things up. Drapes too short - add a piece of red fabric to the bottom. Move your sofa closer to the window wall about 1 foot. Make it feel cozier with cushions and a throw. (Love your son's art). Good Luck and have fun with it!
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): Ward Designs
  • billiemae
    i love the red chair and coffee/end tables--i agree a soft grey would be a good wall color
    --larger rug-of the 4 examples i like the geo.design in red/gr/bl/beige--the art showing
    here i thought was a bit dark but did like the picture of the father and child--the lamp is
    not good--looks old fashioned to me--i go with chrome lamps.and accent pieces mixed
    with a bit of charcoal--some toss cushions and a throw in geometric designs to pick up
    on the rub and i think you would have a fresh modern look that is very inviting --billieman
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): billiemae
  • PRO
    KP Designs/Decorating Den Interiors
    Love the red chair and completely agree with others more red needs to be added to the room to work with it. Consider red in a different rug, the window treatments, accents, art, pillows or throws. Not necessarily all of these but choose which ones. In getting another rug go larger. Changing the wall color is also a nice idea, perhaps lighter, and consider the continuous walls below and around so choose wisely. A few things are out of scale, for example the end table and sofa are out of scale. If you don't change the sofa, work with a smaller table and lamp, And yes, the art over the sofa is also out of scale.Use two prints unless you change to a larger sofa, then hang them only a couple inches apart. I applaud you, however, going large with your art! Your furniture frame styles are pretty traditional/transitional...If you wish to put more of a modern/contemporary touch in the room consider making the rug more modern, and the accents/lamp to marry the two styles you want. Good luck!
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): KP Designs/Decorating Den Interiors
  • Theresa Toler
    My living room has gold colored walls and I used red accessories with black accents...it's gorgeous! Everyone who comes to visit loves it, and especially the red sectional! The colors seen to 'pop' ... I love it too, along with everyone else! Here's a picture for you to view as well!
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): Theresa Toler
  • Theresa Toler
    I don't know what happened to the pic above!
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): Theresa Toler
  • leelee
    Hi Cecilia, yes, your rug is very strongly modern. The coffee table/end table are industrial. Your art is lovely and traditional/transitional. It's hard to mix so many styles unless you really have a knack. Most of us don't.

Think about a mostly calm and subtile rug that won't compete with the art which should be the star and focal point of the room. The delicate nature of the art can't stand up to the bold florals and geometrics. Lean back toward traditional/transitional.
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): leelee
  • leelee
    Just to get a close up of art with rugs above
  • leelee
    Is there any other room where the end table and/or coffee table might moved?
  • kiturah
    IYour room is too dark, and faced the wrong way. I would definitely put whatever sofa facing toward the window, and add lots of art for visual interest and focus. Easy to find rugs, either traditional or modern that will bring in the chair and protect the floor at the same time. A few pillows for comfort and to echo the red, I think you need pattern and would use patterned ones. The big plant was a nice touch.
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): kiturah
  • karinbee
    I think everything you have works, including the wall color, but I would change the RUG to pick up the reds, golds, dull mossy green tones suggested by Thomas Baker since a rug like that would blend all of your colors.. Because this area looks down on your entryway, it would be inexpensive to change paint color of your trim around your entryway door to a much softer white...more like the tone that surrounds your lovely artwork, almost a khaki-toned white.. I would also lower your 3 pictures about 3 or 4 inches over your sofa. I'm not sure about the lamp, but I have no suggestions. All I can say is that it looks a bit "stiff" compared to the rest of your furniture, which I love very much!
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): karinbee
  • leelee
    Substituting your coffee table or end table for something like one these would make the room look entirely different.
  • justbeckyg
    The balance of the pieces is off. Area rug needs to be larger to reach under the furniture to help pull the space together. The art is too wide for the sofa and a general rule for hanging should be 6-8 inches above the furniture. The end table and lamp are a bit too tall for this sofa. Try a couple of pillows or a throw on the sofa to tie your colors together.
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): justbeckyg
  • jam79
    Alright, here is my two cents...
    I find the color very warm and heavy and it seems a) claustrophobic, and b) outdated. I think if you change the color to a light grey or perhaps a grey with a slight brown edge to it you will feel the room open up and breathe. To tie in the red chair, I'd add a throw blanket on the couch and perhaps some patterned pillows that feature the same tone of red in them.

Perhaps a larger rug? I'd opt for one that doesn't have patterns.

And yes, the pictures are a little bit too high so after you paint, lower them when you hang them.
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): jam79
  • NPSM
    I agree with jam79 about the color being "warm and heavy and outdated". Those are the colors I used to have in our house. I'm leaning more toward cool colors - grays and blues (in particular, navy). Centaurita's comment above has some great ideas regarding color.
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): NPSM
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    can you just take a away the end table and put the smaller one you have by the red chair there.......just for the sake of it lol
  • imk1
    IMK Color Consulting.
    The rug and the wall color are really dated. You could paint the wall China White or Hot Springs Stone and lighten things up. The rug is the most dated accessory in the room. Why not replace it with a kilim? There are plenty with some red in them. Also, I would replace the lamp. Shorter and with a red shade.
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): imk1
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    but that's why she asked for wall color and accessory help.......^^^
  • rymea
    i agree with grey for the walls and grey tones in the rug even if you keep the same one. Take a look after that and see how you like it. If you need more red just add little touches of it in accessories. But groveraxel has some pretty great examples of what it would look like while keeping the warm tones. Love the large plant. Hope there is enough light.
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): rymea
  • C4Real
    I had this exact layout in one of my houses. I used Benjamin Moores "velum"on the the walls. It a lovely neutral yellow that would wonderfully with your decor.
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): C4Real
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    ok so if you go gray, and more modern...i just noticed your entry light.. updating that to the new 'style' you are going for could make a big impact, as it is part of the space as well.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
  • rymea
    What is that program you are using?
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): rymea
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    paint.
  • pjnelson1
    I suggest a corner bookcase to anchor the wall and railing. color, perhaps a green with ruby and green rug. I agree that the end table is too heavy. Tie in color with lamp shade. See pic... just an idea!
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): pjnelson1
  • marshnola
    Paint greige - or everything including wood, white, but you could do the top of the banister ebony.
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): marshnola
  • marshnola
    Forgot - larger seagrass or sisal rug - you can layer your other rug ontop because it's too small for the space but nice.
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): marshnola
  • ceciliamacpherson
    Автор
    Just wanted to attach some pictures of some of the smaller changes people requested to see.

I told my son about all the things you've said about his work and he was very grateful. Someone mentioned him making an account to show off his work. How would he do that and what kind of benefits does having an account like that have? Do many artists have their work on here?

Thanks,

CM
  • groveraxle
    Ah, the two art pieces work much better than three.

It's pretty easy to sign up as a Pro here; we have one houzzer who did it as a joke--called herself Design on a Lime--then had to contact staff to un-pro herself. There are a fair number of artists here, and when they spot a dilemma looking for art, it's easy for them to add a comment and some pictures. Don't know how effective it is.

Here's a link to the FAQs for professionals: https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/categories/200140193-Professionals
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    ahh the smaller end table!! i like it !! now seeing the room from a different angle... a book case might look good in that corner...
  • alicejean
    I would begin with anchoring the room with a much larger rug in colors that tie in the red. Try moving the end table and pictures as suggested. A larger sofa would be great, but what you have is nice. You might work with pillows and a throw to further pull things together. Your wall color may end up being just fine. You have some very nice things. Try the simplest solutions first.
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): alicejean
  • Marcia Gut
    Besides the wall paint I think that changing the railing for a glass or acrylic one would open and update the room substantially and would go along with the new furniture.
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): Marcia Gut
  • Marcia Gut
    For inspiration on the railing check the recent Houzz tour: A Fresh Pacific Northwest Take on Midcentury Modern. Sorry couldn't find a way to get the link.
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): Marcia Gut
  • PRO
    Manhattan Home Design
    Hi there, I love the basic set up of your room and agree some pillows and cushions or a nice throw would really bring the couch to life, have you considered an additional chair such as our traditional wool but modern Womb Chair inspired by the iconic design by Eero Saarinen http://www.manhattanhomedesign.com/womb-lounge-chair-ottoman.html I can see it complimenting the couch with dark cushions, whilst the couch itself could bring out the details of the chair. Food for thought I'm sure, looking forward to seeing where your work goes from here. Good luck :)
    ceciliamacpherson поблагодарил(а): Manhattan Home Design
  • Marcia Gut
    What did happen with this advice request?