Houzz Logo Print
plcinteriors

What % of your budget do designate for design fees?

PLC Interiors
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
Hello homeowners. I'm reversing the roles here and asking YOU for YOUR opinion. If you were to budget $5000, $50,000, $100,000 to either a remodel or a furnishing/paint project, how much of that budget would you allocate to the design? (exclude contractor's labor and furnishings - this fee is just for design, drawings, samples, and time provided by the designer). Thank you for your input.

Комментарии: 35

• PRO
    Cobalt Design Associates
    This is a very good question. I will be interested in seeing the responses from homeowners.
  • m7313247
    For my home, I don't need contractors to do heavy work, just painting, wallpaper, and flooring installation. Along with some tile work that the new construction home contractor didn't take all the way up in the master (rain shower) I think $2000 for design should be reasonable since I am trying to take advantage of another person's inspiration in a brand new home whose finishings I didn't get to pick as I did an intent to proceed on another buyers home. Am I far off? I figure it shouldn't take long to review the home and pick samples for design. I think the install and purchase of product would cost the most.
    PLC Interiors поблагодарил(а): m7313247
  • PRO
    PLC Interiors
    Автор
    Thank you m7313247. Are you far off? There is no right answer. So much depends on the scope of work and the client's perceived value of the end results. I charge a flat fee for some projects and hourly for others.

Most of the time when I ask clients what their budget is, they say they don't know. Or, if they do know, they don't incorporate the design fee. I know they care about the final product or else they wouldn't ask for my help so I'm trying to get a better feeling of how people come up with their budgets - and how much of it should be designated towards getting it right, getting it better than anticipated, and bypassing costly mistakes.
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    @PLC Interiors...
    Seems as if the "Homeowners" aren't as free with THEIR time &/or suggestions as they expect the "Pro's" to be...

Getting help from them is like pulling teeth, isn't it?
    Well, at least m7313247 stepped up to the plate for you!
  • feeny
    I've never thought in terms of percentages. We paid our architect by the hour for his plans, and it ended up coming to about 10% of the cost of our addition. We were delighted with the work.
    PLC Interiors поблагодарил(а): feeny
  • Lisa Albertson
    I have several future projects in mind that I plan to use a designer for the first time but we will do the work ourselves. I honestly don't have a clue how much to budget but I will be doing my homework. I follow a few designer blogs and I'll start by contacting those designers and ask their prices for the scope of the work.
    PLC Interiors поблагодарил(а): Lisa Albertson
  • hayleydaniels
    Select Hardwood, this is the first time I've seen this thread, and I'm on here all the time.

I'll gladly give my opinion.

For a $5,000 budget, I wouldn't allocate a cent unless there was something very strange about the home that I needed imput on. $5,000 barely covers materials, let alone any labor costs.

For $50,000, I might bring someone in if I didn't know what I wanted. Same with $100,00.

In determining how much to budget for your services, it would come down to how much help I needed, and what services you could provide. If I was building a new home, I think I'd seek a designer's help with flooring, countertops and backsplashes as they're critical to the look of the kitchens and bathrooms. If I had very large windows, I'd rely on you to help me find adequate window coverings. I know designers have access to very high end products so I'd see what you could get me area rugs as well. I would also be interested in help with paint colors.

I'm not the kind of person who would want someone's help in picking out throw pillows [that I haven't used in 15 years as I hate them], bedding, towels and like. I'm always amazed at how people struggle with furniture placement as well so I doubt I'd want any help in that.

From my years of putting together budgets in my job as a staff accountant, I can tell you that people don't have a clue how to do it. Most just cookbook along, and coming up with a new budget for a new project can be a nightmare. I suspect homeowners don't have a clue how to go about it. If you're trying to get people to do this, see if you can't find a generic budget with line items your clients can fill out to help them get a feel for their expenses. The thing I find most helpful in a budget is having a comparison between the budgeted amount and the actual amount with a variation column so you can if you came in over or under budget, especially if you add a percent column along with the dollar amount variation column.

I hope that helps answer you question.
  • PRO
    PLC Interiors
    Автор
    Feeny - thank you for your input. Very helpful.

Lisa - good luck with your projects! You are smart to talk to 2-3 designers before making any commitments. Ones with experience will ask you as many questions as you will ask them. Establishing a great foundation and understanding at the beginning of the project will make it go more smoothly. The designer should ask you at the second meeting (if not the first) what your budget is. This will help him/her produce a design with labor and materials that will fit into your budget and give you the best design possible by making wise choices along the way.

Hayley - I posted this discussion 3 weeks ago and glad it is finally catching on. The question targets design only (not labor or materials as you mentioned in your $5000 budget). I actually find that clients with the smallest budgets rely on a design consultation so that they use their funds in the most effective and efficient way. Helps them avoid costly mistakes and allows for a better outcome by tapping into sources and ideas that they may not be aware of.

A designer is not for everyone, no matter the budget. There are a variety of reasons that this type of relationship would not work for either party.

I've been designing for 25 years and am constantly changing the way I work based on the changing times. Thanks for your feedback.
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    @PLC...
    Just needed a little "kick start" Patti...lol
  • PRO
    PLC Interiors
    Автор
    p.s. Hayley - Your idea of comparing real to perceived costs of items does work. It really can be difficult for a client to come up with a budget when they have no idea how much things cost. Sometimes I have done what you suggested - "Would you pay $2000 for a sofa? Or $5000?" It helps to get their reaction either way.

I asked my question in terms of a % when allocating part of the budget to the design fee because people often don't know what things cost. They can more easily come up with a % when thinking about the value a good design brings to the project.

If someone is thinking of a $100,000 remodel, how much of that would he/she invest in order to make the most of that budget? Just talking about the design (no labor, materials, or furnishings). What if the budget was $30,000?

I'm trying to get people to think of it in terms of valuing the final outcome.
  • apple_pie_order
    10% for big jobs (architect), hourly rate for small jobs.
  • hayleydaniels
    PLC, what might be a good idea for designers to do to help people understand costs is when showing clients their work, to tell them how much various items cost. You could attach a worksheet listing the costs by category starting with the major items you provided on down to the smaller ones. It would help bring a dose of reality to the project as people saw what they could get for on what budget.

It would be absolutely fascinating if the ideabooks on here contained actual costs so people could see that trying to imitate a $100,000 living room in a $100,000 house was a pipe dream. Some of the furnishing in these homes are worth more than my house. My son managed a very high end oriental rug and furniture gallery for several years, and was telling me one day how he had just sold $200K in area rugs to the trophy wife of some billionaire who was building a second/third/fourth home in the area. For me to think I can find comparable rugs for my home is silly. But I can do the best I can within my budget. And yes, he did work closely with a lot of interior decorators in the area.
  • PRO
    PLC Interiors
    Автор
    Excellent suggestion about adding costs to house ideabooks on hours, Haley. I do that for bathroom remodels because that has been the majority of work that I've been doing the past few years. I have good records on these.
  • leemiller
    I would like to hire a designer to help me with furniture placement, local area rug and curtain resources, but am concerned I'd spend money and not get useable information. Costs for interior design are so opaque. None in my circle uses interior designers other than my inlaws, so maybe that is part of it.

I love the suggestion of posting how much some of these rooms cost. I'm pretty sure since I love Elle Decor that I'm hoping to replicate some pricey rooms on a much smaller budget.

I also think more in terms of an hourly rate, maybe $100-150 an hour?
  • PRO
    PLC Interiors
    Автор
    Hi Lee. Your idea of an hourly range is reasonable and workable. Designers usually set their rates depending on the area of the country they live and how many years experience they have. It is understandable to be concerned about hiring someone but not getting the help and results you're hoping for. But if you think about it, it is like hiring any other professional - from plumber to hair stylist! You can only go by reputation or seeing their work elsewhere.

So, the best way to go about it is with a referral. Try to get 3 or so. They should have a nice website with testimonials. Call each one and have a list of questions that are important to you. Hopefully your conversation will give you a good idea who you want to work with. Good luck!
  • Joan Fiebrandt
    Not having ever used a designer I don't know that answer. I am seeking to know what a new client should expect for the percentage to go to the interior designer of a project.

My husband sees no need for a designer, but I do. He worries about budget. I would think this is between the customer and the designer to work out so that all can be happy with the cost incurred.
    PLC Interiors поблагодарил(а): Joan Fiebrandt
  • life4real
    This question really surprised me. I alway thought that if I had a budget of $30,000, the designer would stay within that including their fees. I understood they took a markup on the materials I would purchase. guess I'm way off track! I worked with a designer a long time ago and that is what happened.
  • life4real
    So does that not occur anymore or can someone tell me the standard operating procedure? ha!
    PLC Interiors поблагодарил(а): life4real
  • PRO
    Cobalt Design Associates
    There is really no standard operating procedure, as every designer charges differently. Sometimes the method changes depending on the client. Sometimes there's a markup on materials, sometimes it's a flat fee, sometimes it's hourly. I think it depends on the relationship between the client and designer.
    PLC Interiors поблагодарил(а): Cobalt Design Associates
  • PRO
    PLC Interiors
    Автор
    Thank you everyone for participating. I'm glad to get this discussion moving as interior design fees have always been a mystery to the public - understandably so because there are no set rules. Designers charge differently depending on their business structure, their location, their experience and their desired client base.

To address a few comments :

To repeat, this question is about design fee ONLY. Not purchasing, markups, or labor (those have their own complicated issues - best for a different discussion). I even put this is a separate part of my Contract.

jfiebrqndt - many husbands do not see the need for a designer! Just as many designers do not see a need for a Harley, a boat, a huge flat screen tv. ha ha. But really, it's a matter of priorities and with couples, its usually a matter of compromise. Husbands are usually thinking of "decorators" who have the image of fluffing pillows and making you spend a lot of money to make things "pretty" and often without any formal education to back up their work. Designers are a different breed (although they do some decorating at the end). Husbands don't realize that designers can save them money, save them from costly mistakes, and actually improve their property value - and quality of life.

Some designers (like me) do have an idea of what % of a job should be allocated for design fee - but I want to hear from you first.

life4real - If I was your designer and you had a budget of $30,000, I would stay within it. I'm really attentive to budgets and if clients veer off looking at onyx floors instead of porcelain or silk draperies instead of cotton that put them over budget, I tell them. On the other hand, they may be settling on a lower priced item when they could actually afford their first choice. I point these things out. Then it's up to the client..

But the question I have for you is how much of that $30,000 do you imagine should be for the design and management? The intellectual property, ideas, thinking outside the box, enhancing the outcome more than if you did it yourself, the hand-holding, consulting, paperwork behind the scenes, the connections with honorable contractors, and the comfort in knowing you're making the right choices?

Most people come up with a budget and realize they have to pay a contractor, materials and labor and somewhere a design fee thrown in almost as an afterthought - which means a token fee (almost a nuisance or necessary evil).

I can honor a $30,000 budget. The discussion between the client and I would be - "how much do you want me to do for the fee you are dedicating to my services?" In other words, I don't discount my work but will omit some areas of service in order to fit within the budget - in those cases where the fee doesn't cover everything I would normally do.
  • wantsideas
    I have been thinking about hiring a designer for a small project but have questions about the fees. I'm okay with by the hour or a flat fee as long as it is disclosed up front. Even by the hour is open to issues when I feel it might take a few hours and you think it might take ten. For the most part we just don't know what is involved and hope you can guide us. Communication is key. I'm okay with someone telling me that wasn't within the scope of my budget. Totally understand large projects can get blindsided by unknowns. I think more people would go with a designer if we were more educated about the process. Thank you for trying to figure it out. Count me in as clueless as to what percentage your fee should be.
    PLC Interiors поблагодарил(а): wantsideas
  • life4real
    Well, I would want the designer to be fairly compensated. I have no idea what that is though, because the payment structure varieties are such a mystery. is there a typical percentage? like 10-20 percent?
  • life4real
    I will add that I would be willing to pay more to a designer that was up front and open. particularly if I found their guidance to be so valuable and honest rather than gearing me toward items I might buy that gives them a higher percentage. it's a puzzle and probably keeps people reluctant to hire a designer.
  • leemiller
    I guess I don't see why it is a percentage on what you're spending rather than an hourly rate? If I spend $3,000 on a coffee table that took the designer one hour to find why should that cost more than when I spend $1,000 on a coffee table that took the designer one hour to find.
    PLC Interiors поблагодарил(а): leemiller
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    This is a great question. One that can be very difficult to answer without seeing the scope of work. My 25 years of experience it seems to still be something most clients can feel defensive about. Our design firms has a variety of ways that we may charge for our services. We present choices to our clients so they may choose for themselves which of the design services they prefer. They usually feel more comfortable in proceeding with our services as they make the decision on how our fees will be charged.
    PLC Interiors поблагодарил(а): Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
  • PRO
    PLC Interiors
    Автор
    leemiller - if you were looking for just a coffee table or a few items of furnishings, your designer would most likely charge an hourly fee in that case.

Generally, hourly fees end up costing the client more than a flat fee. Also, most designers (ALL designers that I know) never, ever, ever charge the full amount of time they spend working on a job. Most designers are finicky perfectionists. I can spend 8 hours looking for 1 fabric because I want to present the best option to the client even when 5 others that I found in the first hour could have worked. This is a personality flaw that we have. A bit OCD.
    Self-defeating, too, because I would probably charge the client 2 hours at most.

Here's another story...... a long-time client wanted help with custom bedding. She wanted to look for a pre-made coverlet online herself and then I'd come in and design the skirt and pillows. Every few days, she would email me saying had spent hours that day searching online but couldn't find the right color or pattern or size. It really opened her eyes as to how long things really can take.
  • tahitianmoon
    When I move into my new place, I am hoping to engage a designer (through her edesign service). I really just want a second opinion on furniture layout and someone to help me narrow down my furniture choices. I can't imagine spending over $1000, but I know that is chump change to some. When my boss redesigned her house, she spent 50k on window treatments and I'm sure her designer made a small fortune on that job.
    PLC Interiors поблагодарил(а): tahitianmoon
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    I guess we will never know what things really cost because most women hide all receipts and evidence so their husbands don't know what things cost ha ha ,kidding,not kidding
  • PRO
    PLC Interiors
    Автор
    tahitianmoon -

I DO hope your boss's designer DID MAKE a "small fortune" because (other than kitchens) window treatments are the single most complicated and labor-intensive project to undertake. Would not be surprised if she spent 3 days alone just filling out order spec sheets once your boss gave the go-ahead. It's also the riskiest project because of all the parties involved which the designer has to oversee - and some are out of her control which is another reason it's a risky business yet all her responsibility.

The nice thing about that transaction is that your boss found the value in her designer's work and the product she offered. Otherwise, your boss would not have chosen to go forward.

Some people who oppose the free market don't see the big picture. Your boss not only employs you but employed a designer, who then employed a fabric mill (who even employed silk or cotton or whatever weavers). She also employed seamstresses and a window installer. If her designer did indeed make a profit, she probably also had enough left over to employ an assistant. (I had to let my assistant go this summer because of the lack of work. It broke my heart as she is now unemployed).

It's people like your boss that makes the world go round. The designer also had to pay taxes on her income which in turn funds a lot of government programs (that are actually preventing the economy from growing.)

Don't mean to get political but just want to say that there is nothing wrong with someone making a small fortune. And I hope there never comes a day when anyone looses the freedom of choice to buy something they want.

p.s a $50,000 window sale is fairly as are designers making small fortunes.
  • PRO
    Michael Valvo Designs
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

This is a wonderful subject. The internet and tv have made "designers" out of so many people, just as it has created Doctors, Attorneys etc. The second you look at a designer as a merchant, you are cooked. Both of you.

Folks can point and click for furniture but not as many can convert a farmhouse or re-imagine an outdated floor plan including HVAC, electrical, plumbing etc or be truly INSPIRED. Or the reflection of light, sound, seasons etc. Design is a holistic profession.

There are several factors to the job of a good designer, the first is to assess the project for you and separate it into parts which are understandable. Show you angles you cannot see of hear of feel.

The second is to glean your needs and desires and compose them into something beyond what you can imagine: a whole project in itself. The next part is to supervise, order, build, deliver and install your project which is akin to the CONTRACTING part and is most of the work the client does not see, in a large project it takes years of know-how and experience and a strong constitution. Do you know the right seat depth would be for your family for a custom sofa? A good designer is up on the best and the latest and also knows the tried and true of what works and does not.

Design brings the best out of you, as well as all trades, artisans and talent which are involved in a project.

Another factor often overlooked is the designer as ARTIST. Sometimes an interior or exterior can be seen as a commissioned piece in which the client has a tremendous voice.

This is where I often feel clients miss the boat.

If I thought I could do better, I would have no reason to call my attorney, Dr or financial advisor.

The end result gives all involved great satisfaction and ultimately changes who you are and how you perceive your world.

Design and Art are intertwined and a huge rift has been cleaved in its misconception. Degas said, "Art is not what you see but what you make others see."

PLC Interiors поблагодарил(а): Michael Valvo Designs
  • PRO
    PLC Interiors
    Автор
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

Michael - thank you for your comments. There are many aspects to my question. I had originally asked it because when I first start a project, I want to know what the client's budget is - it's crucial so that I can design within those parameters (glass tile vs porcelain, linen draperies vs rayon, custom table vs ready-made). I was curious to know when a client gives me a budget if he/she has consciously included a design fee. I don't think many do?

As for the points you made, the public often doesn't know the difference between a designer and a decorator. The difference can result in a successful outcome or a hot mess! (Inexperienced designers can also wreak havoc on a project but they have to start somewhere).

True, the internet and retailers such as Pottery Barn et al have devalued the perception of what a designer brings to the table.

• mrenedesigns
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

PLC Interiors - I have learned SO MUCH from this feed, thank you! Another favor, I would love to see your contracts for both small and large design projects. Would you mind attaching copies?

Another Q - Do you provide CAD renderings to clients to be successful ?

• PRO
    Transforming Rooms
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 7
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Before and After, under stairs · Еще

Fees can depend on the homeowner. When our firm is working by the hour, there are times when we can furnish and decorate (or assist with remodeling) for a VERY small fee.

This can occur when:

1) The homeowners can visualize from the photos, samples, or drawings we provide, and they prefer to use time efficiently. We offer 2 or 3 great options, they are decisive.

2) The husband and wife (or decision makers) are willing to meet in the middle. If their taste is not the same, we show them ways to get the best of both worlds.

3) They allow us to keep them "focused" rather than get side tracked. Example, they let us complete the task at hand rather than jump around to lots of questions that do not yet pertain to the builder's time line.

I guess you could sum it up to this - they allow us to do what we do best! Save them time and money, and make the process easy! They allow us to keep meetings productive, efficient, and stress free.

On the flip side - some clients say they have ADD, and others say they just like to spend a great deal of time talking, ...... in which case the hourly fees would be more.

See what I mean by it often depends on the homeowner's preferences?

• PRO
    GLOBAL HOME
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

@Michael Valvo Designs: Yes, YES and YYYESSSS!!!