Houzz Logo Print
sweetk3346

Would you white wash the brick?

Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
We just purchased a 1972 full brick ranch. I am interested in brightening the rooms up. However I am on a budget and we are painting over the wood paneling for now. what colors would you recommend? my bed room is a grey. should I white wash the brick in the living room and kitchen? How about to sun room? would you do anything special to the built in book shelve and should our focal point be the fireplace?

Комментарии: 173

• Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
    I would lighten the wall but try facing it with a stone effect to create an eye catching feature. Dreamwalls Andres Slate in Italian White for example:
    There's a lot of things I'd do in that room BEFORE painting the brick.
    Don't just white wash it, PAINT it white. Have fun!
    I can see the benefits to both options, however, I'd leave the brick and paint the rest first. Please don't add a fake wood fireplace surround applique that I see suggested above a couple of times. Applique is never good in building...only in sewing. This is a philosophy used by Frank Lloyd Wright and most architects regarding truth in materials. Translation: fake anything is probably not tasteful.
  • PRO
    no, i would paint the wood and leave the bricks !
    Our paneling is painted and we love it. We also want to paint the brick fireplace.
    Leave the bricks - work around them. With the right colors they will look beautiful! Don't mess with Mother Nature.
    We want to paint the brick the same gray as the walls.
    I'd paint the bookshelves in a neutral white. Maybe change a few of the handles and knobs. Then style it simplistically. Books, fave ordiment a and make sure to leave space not cram it full.
    I wouldn't paint the brick.
    I'd try to lighten up the room in other ways, maybe getting a different style of curtain (more neutral) if your budget can afford it.
    Add indoor plants.
    Make sure to use latex paint on the brick.
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
    just to throw in another suggestion, what about painting the woodwork, keeping the hearth brick as it is, and putting mirroring the full width of the brick from the ledge where your pots are up to the ceiling? you've got a lovely space to work with. have fun!
    Make your sunroom these colours
    Melding Myriad Materials into a Cohesive Space · Еще
    No, if the bricks have been there for a while. I would give them a good brush scrubbing. This may brighten them up a bit. Also you can add a high gloss sealent to enhance the color of the bricks. Add accessories by adding a rug, pillows, drapes, art, etc. The space is already neutral so it may be best to add the same colors. Once they are painted white you can't go back.
    Paint all the wood decorator's white and leave the brick - just wash to get as clean as possible and decorate around the brick - large white pieces. two large focal points in the room - depends on what you plan to put on the built in shelves. I would make the fireplace the focal point but don't put a couch with the back to the shelves - a couple of chairs and small table so the shelves are still very viewable and open
    Yes, definitely, paint brick white! Paint cabinets white also - bright, clean, updated!
    Furr out and dry wall over the brick! Have done this many times. Inexpensive fix and will update the fireplace. If your budget allows, add electric behind drywall to hang flat screen above fireplace:
    By now you should really be confused with all the different suggestions coming in. Do this no do that. It comes down to what you like. We all like different styles and colors in our home. and we want something that makes us feel comfortable and a joy to look at and admire day in and day out so I say try out some things and I am sure you will make the right decisions that please you.
    In a heart beat.
    Retro and ranch are back in. I'd live there for a bit and see how the space and lighting works for your family before I started painting everything. You might regret it later if you change your color scheme.
    sweet K has already shared with us what she likes best and that was the punky lemons painted fireplace. Why are people still telling her what and what not to do? She also said she liked the reclaimed wood for a mantlepiece.
    Instead of opinions actual photos seem to be most helpful to her.
    yes, immediately!! unless brick is beautiful and historic, I recommend lightening it up!
    Yes. HGTV, The Property Brothers very often give a whole new look to a brick fireplace with paint. If you want some good ideas, look them up.
  • PRO
    Paint the walls and bookshelves white first. For a modern look, paint the brick white. Leave it natural for a traditional look.
    Have attempted to read all posts but I may have missed someone suggesting this already. Have you considered swapping the FP screen/insert for something like stainless steel or anything lighter than the black that is in there? Even with painting the brick (which I would have a real hard time convincing myself to do), I think you're going to still have a large "black hole" there. With the way that brick wraps around into the kitchen, I would think you'd need to paint there as well and, frankly, I'm not sure if the result will be worth it. There are many other ways, as have been mentioned above, to achieve a lighter look in your room and, personally, I would try that before thinking about painting the brick.

Painting paneling is almost as hard to do as well. I would suggest pulling off the paneling and replacing with drywall or even beadboard rather than all doing all the prep work that will be required to paint paneling. I've tried to paint over paneling and I can tell you from experience, it's not as easy as HGTV and the Property Brothers make it look. If the surface is not sanded and prepped exactly, the paint will also have a tendency to peel and slip quite easily. Definitely not something I would recommend unless you are or have a professional on call. Good luck.
  • PRO
    The solution would be more obvious if the homeowner told us what she likes and doesn't about the room and the whole house for that matter. Also it is important to know what general look she is trying to achieve throughout the house. For a house to flow it must have a unifying theme. As far as the brick, which seems prevalent throughout the house, do you like it or are you trying to cover it up? Do you like it but would like to make it blend in more? What general look are you interested in? As you can see, there are many ways you can go, but the best choice will depend on your theme.
    We covered our dated brick with drywall- and then changed the surround for the fire box and changed some other details- loved it.
  • PRO
    Here is a visual of what I'd do with the space. Keep the brick but add a rustic wooden mantel. Add a rectangular painting to the mantel. Paint the bookshelves with a color behind them. Paint the rest of the paneling a soft white/gray. Thought the visual would help :) http://www.decrenew.com
    I don't know about touching any of it to be honest. I think with the right choice of furniture, soft furnishings and décor. even some baskets, this place will look beautiful. I agree with the cleaning up of stone but not repainting. The option to paint will always be there, just make sure you really want to do that before actually starting. Leave it for a while, if it doesn't grow on you then you can always paint it.

Some ideas from Houzz pages below that may inspire you:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/ranch-phbr0lbl-bl~l_50176 ( notice chandelier, fireplace décor, and rug)

Woodinville Retreat · Еще
    ( candles)

https://www.houzz.com/photos/ranch-phbr0lbl-bl~l_50176es-with-long-stone-fireplaces-and-oak-wall-cabnets-in-living-rooms/p/32 ( furniture idea)

Desert Ranch · Еще
    ( another example of furniture, chandelier, décor and baskets for wall cabinets etc..)

Sun room ideas:

http://www.houzz.com/sun-rooms

Sunroom · Еще

Nantucket Cliffs · Еще

Kitchen:

http://www.houzz.com/kitchen-with-surrounding-brick-around-sink/p/16 ( shelves and glass jars)

https://www.houzz.com/photos/9-turnberry-traditional-porch-new-orleans-phvw-vp~4118574 ( kitchen island)
    The fireplace colors in Desert Ranch seem to be pretty much what the owner says she likes. Have never seen a brick island before. Ouch! Can you imagine whacking your knee against that?!
  • PRO
    Absolutely-white wash it and add a built out fireplace surround.
    Get rid of the brick....painting it white or any other color won't make it look current. I don't know why people have such attachments to brick and wood, just because it's there doesn't me you have to live with it, plus there is no value in it, so take it down.
    No value in brick or wood?? What is there value in...wallboard?
    Yes paint and put a mantle,change the ceiling fan with no blades and put some knick knacks and books in the bookcase
    I see CNN news set is brick and also many photos of brick walls in lofts that are beautiful and current. I am not sure massive the use of brick is gone but is a matter of decorating. I personally don't like dark mortar and if it wasn't too much work I would restain it light grey using a very small brush but I would not paint the brick.
  • PRO
    i still like the brick and the built ins. i would paint the walls, or drywall, and change out the fan. then tackle what comes next.
  • PRO
    griegey/ green( lol) is perfect for you dont go too pink in the undertone or the fire place will look pink too.
    You can also surround the opening of the fireplace with granite, marble or stone, check out what is available in your area. You can look for "scraps" , which you can get for a really good price, that would fit around the face of the fireplace, then put up a simple mantle, painted white or cream, & definitely paint or white wash the bricks. You will be surprised at the difference it makes.
    Normally I'd be opposed to painting the brink but I think it would stick out like a sore thumb if you neutralize everything else. See @babamom's room for a pristine room with and without painted brick. @karenschaewe is most like yours with a great result. I would steer away from faux painting the brick in different tones. It might look too busy in such a large space (and you can always do it at a later time). Money spent on a double vanity in the bathroom will be well spent. Where are the bifold doors? I would definitely replace/fix them if they're in your way.
    I agree with the suggestions to paint the walls first, then decide about the brick after you live with it a while. I would lose that dated black grate cover and update the surround. That mantle is amazing, make it a focal point by changing the art to match the season, your mood, new color schemes, whatever, whenever. Try painting the walls behind the shelves a different color. You can go from a neutral beige to a bright accent color, either way it will make the built in look classier, and compliment any art and/or books that you place there. Those windows look large and amazing, custom blinds or sheers to let in lots of natural light. A grouping of comfortable chairs, or a love seat and chairs might keep the space looking open and roomier.
    What the bucket?
    Well, it seems like you have a couple of focal points in the room and you need to decide whether the monstrosity of a fireplace is what you want to be the only thing people stare at...I say paint it out! Let your furniture, throw pillows, and other elements be the style/colour you want, and have the walls and fireplace be the backdrop for your style. Paint the cabinet at the end of the hall a fun teal, red, black.....anything! Incorporate it into your style instead of having the fireplace determine what you can do.
    And after it's all said and done, it's only paint and you can change the "flavour" of the room every year if you wish.
    Have fun!
    I would paint the paneling a soft gray like your bedroom. Then your fireplace brick and wall cabinets white. Paint the back of the wall cabinets a color that you may end up using in your furniture and accessories like teal or aqua. I think that would lighten up the whole room. Make sure the brick in the kitchen is also painted white. If you have any extra money at all, I would have the lighting in the kitchen updated to canned lights and replace the ceiling fans with updated lighting. Good luck!
    suekat, I think some others have mentioned removing the fan. Personally, I can't think of a better invention than the ceiling fan for warm weather. True that style is dated, but if the light were removed, a cap put on and lamps were used (most people don't use overhead lights in the living room) I think they'd get the most bang for their buck. The fan blades can also be changed or painted if they preferred.
    Definitely white wash the brick it'll make the room pop. But I wouldn't paint over wood. Ever!! My father has been a professional wood worker for over 30 years. I would just stain the wood a little darker and the with the brick white washed, it'll look amazing! Good luck
    I have the exact same room. My decorator had me paint the wood paneling and bookcase with Benjamin Moore's Weathered Cedar it is so beautiful. Soft and quiet. I left the brick and it looks great. The secrete is in the lighting. Twin high hats light up the brick and the rooms dark corners. Lamp light lights up the rest. Your room can look awesome. If you want the brick lighter and want an vintage look - check out a Lime wash. Good luck!
    We painted a brick fireplace with white paint once. I wouldn't do it again unless there is a brick paint out there somewhere. I would definitely do something, but not sure what. The brick absorbs the paint and if it's a wood fireplace you'll get black from the fire onto the fireplace.

I would leave the brick grey and paint the paneling and shelving units white. However, I would paint the backs of the shelving units a grey to harmonize with the brick and the grey and white curtains.

• Год(а)/Лет назад: 8
    I white washed the brick and absolutely love it! I've also started painting over the paneling. Thank you everyone again for all of your advice. I do have a few more questions... what kind furniture should I put in my sunroom? Anymore ideas for decorating about the fireplace?

Nice job. The character of the brick remains.

Bravo! Nothing like making a decision, going with it and being happy with the results. The way you furnish the sunroom would depend upon what you want to do there: eat, lounge, playroom ?? What style are your other rooms furnished in?