Houzz Logo Print
maryfran54

Going nuts

Mary Bertolo
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
I've purchased multiple lamps for this room. I'm back and forth to every store around my home. Not sure what size. Lamp, shape or color of lamp to use. I know scale is important too. None of them seemed right in this room. Advise please!

Комментарии: 58

• User
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
    Maryfran- I think the last thing you need is more scolly lamps to compete with the chandy that I too like. That is why I showed something to contrast the room or bring it out of ornateville. Just design stuff??
  • Maureen
    My thought would be to go with nothing too delicate or with a white shade. In the right corner, a floor lamp would be nice instead as alternative complimenting the lamp you would add to your table.
    Draw The Line Design · Еще
    Modern Family Room · Еще
  • Mary Bertolo
    Автор
    Gray and Walter that is why I'm on house asking for design advice. The chandelier was over1200.00. It's there so now I need advice on what yo blend with that. Thanks for your two cents.
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    @maryfran, your original questions sounded like you wanted a different lamp. I think you're clarifying that you're keeping the lamp but need more items around the room?

If so, one of the things I can recommend is decorating your empty walls. Additional color and texture from artwork can pull all your existing furniture and decor together.

Check out my artwork for ideas here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

I'm currently running a 15% off on all items, plus free shipping to US for canvas prints.

Hope this helps.
  • Mary Bertolo
    Автор
    No not keeping that lamp it does nothing for the room.
  • Jessica McLucas
    I'm a huge fan of Tiffany inspired lamps. They give a ton of color without being too bold. They have good size and add warmth to a room.
  • Stacey
    Maryfran, Your chandelier is awesome, I love it.
    Did they have coordinating lamps to go with it?
  • ohrelax
    maryfran, The minute I saw your room I immediately thought of a beautiful, black-based Robert Abbey lamp. They're avaiable at fine lighting stores and online. ohhhhh, I think it would be perfect! (I'm a designer but I have no investment in R.A. :O) I do have several of their lamps in my own home.) Restoration Hardware carries nice lighting too.
  • decoenthusiaste
    This chart might help you out.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    For the side table by the sofa, I'm recommending lamps that have a 12-14-inch base. Your decor has a hint of Tuscany to it, so I'm posting photos of styles that blend with the other components in the room -- the sofa, black coffee table, fireplace, area rug and chandelier.

The right lamp for this room has to blend, but still make a bold statement and stand out on its own. My favorite is the top left, which is Sydney Marble. It carries the cream colors in the room, but subtle hints of black to compliment the coffee table.

The bottom left is also marble with more dramatic colors that can also be found in your living room.

The bottom right photo is a direct correlation to your chandelier, which is a Tuscan style.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • ohrelax
    Christi/Thomas Baker, where are these lamps available?
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    Hi ohrelax,

1) Top left: Sydney Marble Lamp
    Neiman Marcus

Here on Houzz at:
    Arteriors "Sydney" Marble Lamp · Еще

2) Top right: John Richard Stacked Stone Lamp

Here on Houzz at:
    John-Richard Collection Stacked Stone Lamp · Еще

3) Bottom left: Avante Marble Table Lamp

Here on Houzz at:
    avante marble table lamp · Еще

4) Bottom right: Quoizel Mystic Black Wrought Iron Lamp
    Tuscan Decor at: http://tuscandecor.com/light_fixture2.html

If you choose one of these lamps, please let us know which one you decide on!

• PRO
    Joshua David Home, LLC
    There is much beige in this room- layered beige upon beige- which is fine, but you haven't allowed for the eye to rest anywhere or to get excited by color. You might want to think about a color you would like to add in the space, an aqua or gold or even a pale transparent purple- To neutralize the greenish effect the paint is giving. Something to think about as the silver accents are nice, but they don't help to add warmth to the space. A glass sofa lamp picking up the subtle golden beige in the chandelier crystals with a soft white shade would be the simplest solution. However, you might want to consider the enclosed lamp-- it's a softer color, working well with the beiges- but is creamy enough to let your eye rest and picks up the subtlety of the crown and base trims. It adds warmth to the room on many levels and will work with additional accessories and 'Objet.

http://www.circalighting.com/details.aspx?pid=4877
  • ohrelax
    Christi, Thank you!

The Sydney Marble Lamp. Love it. I went to the Houzz website and it's sold out.

I originally went to the Thos. Baker website and noticed you're on Bainbridge Island. I'm in Seattle :O).

There's a Neiman Marcus store in Bellevue . . .
  • ohrelax
    Margo, The dilemma is resolved . . . perfect! Thanks for making me laugh out loud!
  • kmk10629
    The Sydney lamp is back in stock on Houzz!
  • groveraxle
    I wondered when the leg lamp would show up. Thanks for not disappointing me, Margo.
  • PRO
    Scott Conover
    This lamp works and looks great however, I feel it needs clear crystal jewels hanging.
  • User
    Scale is important. I feel that not only your lamps, but your side tables are too small for the size lamp that would work best.
  • ohrelax
    Thanks, kmk10629! Yes, the lamp became available again. I bought it. :O).
  • ohrelax
    grover, I like your aesthetic; also, your down-to-earth approach and humor. Just curious: where are you located?
  • groveraxle
    Need color, any color, just some color.
  • ohrelax
    maryfran, any thoughts? Going with the leg lamp?
  • groveraxle
    Thanks, ohrelax. I like your username; sort of appropriate for these life-and-death design discussions. I am located in the cultural mecca of Tucson, AZ.
  • ohrelax
    grover, :O).
  • User
    Grover-I save the leg lamp for special occasions')
  • ohrelax
    grover, btw, you've inspired me. I'd like to get some of those cool shades, as modeled by your hound, for my white lab. They'd be great for copiloting in the car. :O)
  • kmk10629
    Oh relax, glad you got the lamp!! Very pretty! I have 2 yellow labs who would also look great with those goggles!!
  • ohrelax
    Dogs in goggles (sounds like the name of a song or a book; or if you say it fast, a high-end designer brand. "Dogsngoggles Fragrance for Women.")

Anyway, where to find the goggles for our labs?
  • ohrelax
    maryfran, what about the lamp? Would more suggestions and examples be helpful? Or do you have a good idea of what you want?
  • PRO
    Dyste Design-ASID
    You're exactly on track saying, "I know scale is important." The fireplace sets the stage and it's significant scale has to be respected. The coffee table is in harmony but I question the delicate end table. A pair of lamps such as the lamp on the end table could work well on the mantle. I would like to suggest an end table that mimics the scale of the fireplace and coffee table with a table lamp that's in the 29: high range. A significant painting or print on the left side of the fireplace or, less expensively, a large ficus tree (at least six feet tall in a container at least 18" round container. I'm wondering about your ceiling height and the visual weight of the chandelier. Best of luck!
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    Hi ohrelax -- glad you found a lamp to love! And hello, fellow Washingtonian! Yes, Thos. Baker is on Bainbridge Island. I'm a Seattle native -- born and raised, but currently living on Maui. Will be heading back home soon though!

maryfran54 -- I love the neutral tones in your living room, but other designers are recommending more color, so I have an idea I'd like to throw out. The mirror over the fireplace is great, but what about a sensational piece of art of the same size instead?

One angle is to play up the Tuscan theme in the room. Don't know if you'd be into that, but here's some works that have both softness and color that would make a subtle, but dramatic statement. They're from Italian artists, which gives the concept even more authenticity. If you don't like this style of art, but are interested in the idea of art, let us know!

P.S. I viewed each next to your photo and the colors were all lovely choices for your living room. The top left was especially beautiful.

• Mary Bertolo
    Автор
    So many to answer here. First off the room is intentionally beige on beige to give it a elegant look. Touches of silver and gold on the pillows. Someone suggested light aqua in the room. I tried that on silk pillows but it didn't quite look right in the room. I wouldn't be opposed to some color in the room. My goal is to keep the room elegant. There is a picture on the wall that my husband wanted that is of Tuscany which I will attach a picture of. Table in the corner is an antique 28"high by 28" round. I don't have to keep that. Ceiling is ten feet high with 10" crown. Got a new lamp yesterday which I'll attach a picture of that also. I appreciate all the comments and pictures. I realize scale is very important and want to make that right. Rug can go too. That was left over from another room.
  • Mary Bertolo
    Автор
    Here are a few more pics.
  • Mary Bertolo
    Автор
    Thomas Baker tried a picture over the fireplace and didn't like it. We just got that mirror from RH.
  • Mary Bertolo
    Автор
    Deborah, what sort of end table would you recommend? I wouldn't mind giving that table to my daughter she loves it. Thought of bookcases for each side of the fireplace but with 10' ceiling a large one to fit that area is hard. I need them to be about 50" wide also.
  • Mary Bertolo
    Автор
    Submitting a larger view of the room. Getting rid of the two leather chairs and rug. Need to figure out what to do for sides of fireplace. What do you professional designers think?
  • PRO
    Iconic Deco Interiors
    I would go with something like this, to make the room look rich! Thanks.
  • PRO
    Iconic Deco Interiors
    You can build in some bookcases or shelves to decor.
  • PRO
    Iconic Deco Interiors
    also you need to add some royal curtains back there.
  • zweiback
    Do you need a lamp on the end table(s)? I think some simple wall sconces on either side of the mirror and fireplace are in order!
  • Wild Infusion
    Hi....I have had another look for you ....I now know you are after the elegant look....so I would go for a waterford crystal lamp....that is one of the most elegant...but you may or may not like the price. The other thing to look at is a double candle lamp... Most of the lamps I have shown you are a Versallies Style...here is the link for the waterford crystal lamp.

http://www.crystalclassics.com/waterford/lamps/table.htm

the third lamp was on ebay...new but quite a bit cheaper

I think you will be happy with these...the price I am not sure....ebay is the cheapest

hope you don't go completely nuts....lol
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    Bookshelves would be beautiful! You could also put a gorgeous floor lamp to the right side of the fireplace and a large floor vase on the left side. Or, a marble pedestal that serves as a place to keep a constant bouquet of fresh cut, fragrant flowers.

Am posting floor lamps that are elegant -- in keeping with your vision for this room.

• PRO
    Thos. Baker
    Visuals of a large floor vase (you could put a spray of reeds in) or a marble pedestal used for fresh floral bouquets.

• Mary Bertolo
    Автор
    Good ideas we really want curios or bookcases to flank fireplace. I'm thinking 8ft? Ten foot ceilings.
  • Mary Bertolo
    Автор
    This. Baker I love the floor lamps.
  • Mary Bertolo
    Автор
    Sorry Thos. Baker.
  • Mary Bertolo
    Автор
    Where can I find the floor lamps? First one restoration hardware?
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    maryfran54 -- yes, the first one can be found on restoration hardware or Houzz at:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/1920s-odeon-glass-fringe-floor-lamp-phvw-vp~3198265

2. Also on RH:

http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1690131

3. Decorating Tips Blog:

http://luchasientevive.com/flooring-lamps/

4. I THINK the last one came from Lamps Plus:

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/floor-lamps/style_crystal/

Glad you like them! If you buy one, let us know which one you chose!