Houzz Logo Print
bcnebunch

Help me finish off my dining room

bcnebunch
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
Something just seems off here. Maybe the rug? Artwork or wall decor ideas? Lose the table? The light is too petite for this room. We're thinking of going with the light in the last photo.

Комментарии: 69

• glschisler
    Ps: mirror over the consul
  • bcnebunch
    Автор
    Ok. Then, what on long wall with no windows?
  • decoenthusiaste
    Would a china cabinet work for you on the long wall? You might find a second hand one to paint white like the wainscot and light the interior.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    Looks like you've got ideas rolling! Just thought I'd add a couple more for your consideration. Your dining room is lovely. It's also a good size room and needs a chandelier that makes a bolder statement -- not only for the size of the room, but for the dining table. A rectangle or even better, an oval chandelier to compliment your dining table would create a great balance.

I agree with previous posts and also recommend a different area rug. If you like red, that's great, but in this case, it should have something of the wall color in it as well -- primarily because the wall color is a strong shade of blue. Otherwise, it looks disjointed. I agree with other suggestions that you need a bigger area rug.

Here's a couple of photos -- hope you find them helpful!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    A couple more chandeliers for you to consider...

• doctornancy
    Your home has beautiful traditional architectural features: columns, wainscoting, etc. An oriental rug and stunning chandelier would coordinate beautifully.
  • karelina
    Well, I’d never put a mirror in the DR; my grandmother would say it was uncouth. You need art to pull the various colors together, a larger rug and chandelier, candles and a large flower display on the table (or something else), possibly snazzier seat cushions.
    Good luck!
  • foofaraw
    Room is lovely but a bit static. Floor plants and floral arrangement for buffet or table would add life.
  • Vega Maguire
    Start if by getting a more impressive bolder hanging light, I did some research and ALL of the best/ nicest dining rooms had eye catching lights
    (See image below) I also think you could either go for a vintage vibe, traditional lighting (see image 2) or a modern twist (see 3) a statement light wows visitors, hope this helps xx
  • doctornancy
    Love the Lyndhurst rug! Good luck to you.
  • bcnebunch
    Автор
    With my table being 54x74", what size rug should I go with? The 8x11 rug is considerably cheaper than the 9x12 or 10x14, but I don't want to get another rug that looks to small in the room. The current red rug is 7x10.
  • PRO
    Nicole Arnold Interiors
    I highly recommend some drapery panels on either side of the arched windows, you need some color on the walls. It doesn't have to be very heavy, but some subtle softness of fabric would be a nice compliment to the room. Colorful artwork would help a lot, along with a "knock your socks off" rug. Not sure how high your ceilings are, but they look high, so consider a taller chandelier...maybe multi tiered, but keep it light in visual weight.
  • PRO
    Atmosfere Distintive
    I like this rug, it goes very well with wall color.I would suggest to add 2 slip chairs in the back corners, upholstered in the same ivory/ light blue tones
  • PRO
    1STOPlighting
    The rug and dining set along with your blue shade on the walls actually mix quite well, and I think your vision is really apparent here, the only thing is that the chandelier doesn't allow the pieces in the room to harmonize. The chandelier appears to be too small for the room, but the main issue is the finish; you might want to consider an oil rubbed bronze finish to accompany your dark wood, such as these options below:
  • PRO
    1STOPlighting
    Or something like this Maxim Chandelier:
  • bcnebunch
    Автор
    Help with rug size please! See my post above.
  • doctornancy
    What are the dimensions of your dining room?
  • bcnebunch
    Автор
    The room is 15-3 ft x 13-4 ft. The table is 74" x 54".
  • doctornancy
    The 8 x 10 will be perfect.
  • bcnebunch
    Автор
    It is 8 x11. Still ok with the table size? Thx!
  • decoenthusiaste
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
    Actually size you need re table top is 10.5 x 8.5, so 9x11, but it might be harder to find. Always go up rather than down.
  • leelee
    The burgandy colored rug doesn't work with the orangy hues in the flooring. Go with a light rug to match the walls.
  • leelee
    You also need art that will compliment the lighter rug and walls.
  • leelee
    Or maybe something like this...
  • leelee
    It's only letting me post one at a time???
  • leelee
    Something with visual interest for your dining table. Grouping of crystal candlesticks.
  • leelee
    Add these
  • User
    About rugs, yes that one is too small. They do go up exponentially in price as they get larger. It will be worth it for that beautiful table and room to have a correctly sized rug.
  • bcnebunch
    Автор
    So, an 8 x 10 is out by 1/2 inch! What would you suggest 9x12 or 10x14? Again, the room is 13-4 x 15-3.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    The Safavieh Lyndhurst rug is too "gold" for the flooring and the blues in it are barely noticeable. You seem inclined toward using warm colors, but your walls are white and blue, which are cooler shades. You can use a few warm colors in a rug, along with blue, but they should be secondary, otherwise you'll have a disconnect between the rug and the walls.

Here's two examples:

• decoenthusiaste
    Well, more like 6" but you have to consider the room size and any furniture that takes square footage away from the floor area. Generally, dining set should have 36-48" between it and any wall. There is more too it than meets the eye. If you have no other furniture than the table and chairs it is simple - 4' wider and longer than the table top but without running into any walls. If you have buffet, china or other furniture on the walls you want to be able to walk around behind seated diners without bumping into other furniture. You don't want the rug to run into other furniture either. Your room is 160 x 183 and your table 54 x 74. that leaves you 53" and 54.5" of clearance on the sides all around. Go with a 9 x 12 and be sure that you can return it if it doesn't work.
  • leelee
    candlesticks again
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    It would be better to enhance the beautiful blue walls and crisp white wainscoting with a rug that will make those two elements of the room stand out, so I recommend an area rug that is simple, bold and dramatic.

• bcnebunch
    Автор
    It seems as if some of you don't like my choice of the Lyndhurst rug. I thought Candice Olson's dining room (my inspiration photo) looked similar to what most of you were pointing me toward. Yes or no on the Lyndhurst rug? Btw, we have another Lyndhurst rug in our front foyer with some of the same colors in it, but the main color is red.
  • decoenthusiaste
    You can't go wrong with Candace... The entry rug looks like it works well with the paint color. Did anyone say they didn't like the Lindhurst? Maybe they just skimmed over it and went on to suggest rugs they also like. You might want to post a poll on a few rugs you like and can afford.
  • doctornancy
    On my monitor, the Lyndhurst in blue and ivory looks like a good match for your room. Thos Bros - no gold in it on my monitor.
  • karelina
    You have a lovely color painted wall. On my monitor the Lyndhurst rug has lots of gold and a washed out greyish blue with a hint of green. Not a good choice with the walls. Leann Michael, Thomas Bros & leelee can up with much better colored rugs.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    I see the same thing karelina described: lots of gold and a washed out greyish blue that barely has any color. doctornancy's photo is little better, though I responded to the first photo and offered alternative ideas, including two Safavieh rugs with your budget in mind.

If a designer feels there are other options that would work better, it doesn't mean they don't like your choices, it means they have a different vision for a space, which is why so many people come to Houzz. It's a melting pot for sharing diverse and creative ideas, but ultimately, it's about what you like and enjoy living with.

decoenthusiaste's suggestion to post a poll with a few rugs might be helpful.

• Najeebah
    Love the table - keep it! It also goes well with the wall colour.
    However, the rug does not - try something darker, yet lighter than the table.
    The side table is perfect. Try hanging an artwork/a clock above it.
    If you can, change the blinds to drapes/curtains. It will work better with the elegant table.
    What is on the wall opposite the side table?
    You could put a tall vase/standing ornament in that corner (opposite the single window)
  • Michael Gorey
    ,£'h. H!uh him, l. Viy hygrometer n hnymy g vykg. B
  • Najeebah
    huh? lol what???
  • doctornancy
    bcnebunch - Thos Bros is giving great suggestions.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    Thank you doctornancy!
  • Susan Davis

For rug size tape corners of the size on the floor 8 x 10 in one color of tape and 9 x 12 in anothr color. You want your rug to be big enough that when you are dining and you go to pull out your chair and get up and walk away the chair is still on the carpet. No chair rocking.

So tape out size and then sit down and get up and see what happens. You will know the correct size.

• Susan Davis

Chandelier----Candice,who I follow blindly, she is that good I think, has chandelier that say go big or go home. I think length plus width translated to 2 inches for every food would be 38 inches for chandy. Candice always has big and tall chandys. You are going to have so much fun finding one......lamps plus .com has some great clearance sales and open box sales But you can find tutorials on What size should my chandy be for my dining room In your case

• PRO
    Jarret Yoshida Design
    Get a real traditional chandelier. There are a tom of vintage ones that will give you the character your room needs to maintain visual interest.
  • Maria Perea
    @Thos. baker, hi, can you tell me where that last chandelier you suggested is from?
  • PRO
    Fischer Brothers Moving
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

I think everything is perfect but there needs to be more RED to tie the rug in. Like red artwork or floral arrangement on that buffet table back there or something.

• Robi J
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

following since I'm redoing my DR. Great suggestions!