Houzz Logo Print
wendylane

Need help deciding on a paint color

wendylane
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
Attached are photos of my fireplace in my family room (please ignore the clutter) and a photo from Houzz.com of how we'd like to remodel this room someday. I'm not fond of the cream color around our brick fireplace now (it was there when we bought the house). I've been trying shades of beige/gray colors but I can't decide what color to paint the walls.. Eventually we'd like to completely remodel this fireplace making it more modern but that won't happen for a few years. So for now, I need to paint the walls a color that goes with it. Thanks in advance for your help! Hopefully I can get this started over the holiday weekend. :)

Комментарии: 13

• rocketjcat
    In your inspiration picture, above the mantle is the wall color and the below it is white. You could emulate that look right now by continuing your wall color above and white below.
    wendylane поблагодарил(а): rocketjcat
  • wendylane
    Автор
    I hadn't considered painting the brick because it's so permanent. Once you paint it you can't go back, right? But I can be persuaded. Still not crazy about the creamy paint though. I really want that to go.
  • rebereba
    Benjamin Moore Brandon Beige would be a nice compliment--a taupe with grey undertones. You can view plenty of spaces in this color with a simple Houzz search.
    wendylane поблагодарил(а): rebereba
  • wendylane
    Автор
    Looking for that color now... Thanks!
  • libradesigneye
    you are RIGHT - the wall color is a pinky beige . . very tough to work with
    but I think you might be wrong about the chimney ..
    the brick pattern is really very modern / classic but the mantel shape and the traditional arch top metal doors make the corner column of brick just LOOK old fashioned . .

Now, you are also fighting the cool brick pattern with the red metal scroll (which i agree is sort of wonderful) . . .If you tore out the mantel for a chunky sleek contemporary one that ended straight at the adjacent walls instead of all the filigree and turns/ removed/replaced the fireplace insert you might actually love this column of brick.

so let's get you some paint colors - paint the mantel too = it being superwhite / ceiling white against the warm brick is making it even worse. . . i think a terrific neutral with your brown leather and your brick is bm skipping stone
    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/skippingstone
    for the mantel, just get a small quart of muskoka trail http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/muskokatrail
    these two things will help transform your room. . . may i make a suggestion for your mantel? Maybe find a square canvas at the local art store just larger than your red metal element and off center, lean it on the brick resting on the mantel (you might even mix these two paints and give the background a midway color / do some rothko type neutral blocks style modern art) and put your red metal object layered against it . That would let the brick pattern shine a bit more and help elevate what is good about this (i like the brick tone okay too . . corner fireplaces always are a challenge . . . )
    If you want something deeper than skipping stone, test bm coastal fog . .
    wendylane поблагодарил(а): libradesigneye
  • leelee
    Paint the brick and change the vertical blinds asap.
  • wendylane
    Автор
    libradesigneye -- Thanks for the great detailed response! Such great feedback. I think you're right about changing the mantle to something more modern. Hadn't thought of that! I might like the brick a lot more that way. And the red piece I'd planned to paint another color if it stayed on the mantel, but I'm not determined to keep it there. It can go. Thanks for the paint color suggestions!
  • wendylane
    Автор
    Leelee - ha! Totally agree about the verticals. They are GOING! :)
  • PRO
    M-Rock Stone Manufacturers
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
    Hi -

Yes to removing the vertical blinds. And maybe newer looking doors completely. You can get them now with the blinds embedded between the glass. A natural frame looks nice too.

I like the direction you are thinking with the photo you attached. I also like the thoughts of wendylane. Based on both of those, I worked up some ideas for you to think about. You can paint the fireplace or white wash it, which I think are both good ideas to make it more modern. I added some modern touches to the contemporary stone look attached and cool shades of blue-grey for the accent wall. New fireplace insert with a modern feel as well.

You'll see the attached idea for going over the brick with a modern looking ledge stone that installs with screws or commercial adhesive. It would be easy as all you would need to do is either box out the fireplace with plywood to change the profile and screw the stones to the plywood or stick the stones on over the current brick with commercial adhesive.

But if you have to leave the brick as is for a while, I attached an idea for colors, fireplace insert and artwork which will help too. Although this is a darker look, if you keep the glass doors uncovered, it will brighten the room. I simply changed the mantel to a smaller darker wood (mahogany) that matches the dark grape of the wall and leather.

Color one wall a great accent color and the other a neutral. Stain your wood floors or refinish them. Add some leather to bring it all together and make it cozy.
    wendylane поблагодарил(а): M-Rock Stone Manufacturers
  • wendylane
    Автор
    Wow! Thank you for the design ideas! I hadn't considered losing the mantle completely. I lean toward the lighter option you provided. And I like the idea of covering the brick with stone. Two wall colors? Now the wheels are turning...
  • PRO
    M-Rock Stone Manufacturers
    Thank you. I'm glad to help. If you want to stay with a lighter look, here is another idea for walls, trim and even the ceiling. Again tying all elements together. Hope I did not overwhelm you, but I just love remodeling. I'm working on an old farmhouse while living in the mess myself right now.
  • wendylane
    Автор
    No, I appreciate the feedback. I've been staring at it too long. :)