Houzz Logo Print
lizbrotherton

Colour for kitchen walls and blind ideas?

Liz Bton
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Help needed! For the time being we are stuck with this kitchen but I wondered if a change of wall colour and some more modern blinds would be a quick way to update. The kitchen units are a yellowish cream and the blinds are yellow/orange/cream floral......desperate for some ideas.....thanks x

Комментарии: 26

• Liz Bton
    Автор

I meant to say the current kitchen paint colour is a kind of pale blue, looks kind of grey blue sometimes - any ideas would be fab !

• Tracy Sidaway
    wanted to add, your windows are very detailed, could you manage without blinds?
    Liz Bton поблагодарил(а): Tracy Sidaway
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Hello Liz,

One thing I think could be nice is to perhaps give the cabinets a paint perhaps.. You could even replace the handles.. It's possible to fill holes,sand and repaint and replace.. Changing small details such as colour and handles can completely transform a kitchen... Why not consider a rust colour for the base units or something that picks out the floor and worktop Callaghan by LG... Then for the eye level cabinets paint these a nice colour like Whitening again by Little Greene.. Or french grey pale.. A plain blind could be nice for the windows if you need them.. Simple and elegant..

For handles something like nickel cup handles could be nice with the cabinet colours I have suggested.. There's also a grey in your flooring and so Grey Moss could be nice for the lower cabinets but I wanted to suggest something other than grey which whilst I love charcoals and near black, I thought you might like something warmer that works with the flooring and the worktop.. : ))

Liz Bton поблагодарил(а): Amber Jeavons Ltd
  • Liz Bton
    Автор

Thanks AJ interiors - I'm not sure I've got the patience to prep and paint the kitchen well enough to get a good finish - how hard is it to get it right? I'm definitely going to change the handles though - that's a great idea. If I left the cabinet colour as it is, what colour blind would you go for?

• Liz Bton
    Автор

Thank you Traceysid - we do need some blinds as we are quite overlooked, what colour blind would you go for? I'm going to look into the vintage green idea for walls - that sounds unusual. Also agree where the walls look pale grey its a great improvement on the blue!!!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd

Hello Liz,

Well of course if you feel it's not right for you, it can make a world of difference.. For blinds I'd suggest a white to keep it bright.. :))

Liz Bton поблагодарил(а): Amber Jeavons Ltd
  • Gwyneth Depport
    Re Blinds; perhaps think about one of your own images printed onto a roller blind to replace existing or choose from suppliers stock images...
    Liz Bton поблагодарил(а): Gwyneth Depport
  • jillandbob
    The windows are pretty and have a nice outlook. I would paint the window reveals white. Cut off the wavy edge of the blinds and paint over the floral with artists acrylic white paint which is flexible. The grey walls look good to me.
    Liz Bton поблагодарил(а): jillandbob
  • sukiharrison
    hi, have you thought about sanding down the work tops and repainting them as I think that would brighten up the kitchen, a lot easier than repainting the doors !! some nice bright bold Roman blinds on the windows would look good too.
    Liz Bton поблагодарил(а): sukiharrison
  • Jonathan
    Personally I think the grey/blue is not right and a grey with brown in it would be better. Even though not bang up to date I don't mind the cabinets but I think the delicate handles are a little dated.
    Liz Bton поблагодарил(а): Jonathan
  • Liz Bton
    Автор

Thanks Jillandbob, that's a great idea to cut off the wavy bit of the blinds - I think the wavy bottom is definitely making them look old fashioned!

• Liz Bton
    Автор

Thanks Sukiharrison, I didn't for a minute think about painting the worktops - is that possible/durable enough? The work tops are not solid wood more of a laminated type of thing - what sort of paint would you use?

• Liz Bton
    Автор

Thanks Jonathondb1972, you're right the handles are horrible (and keep falling off !) so I'm definitely going to find some alternatives. Any suggestions for a grey/brown paint colour?

• PRO
    Zoe Glencross Fabric & Home

You could try a stone colour on the walls - Purbeck Stone by Farrow & Ball and then use a white based fabric in the kitche blind with some navy in it to lift the room - try our Windmill Wood Inky Sky linen blend - it's very fresh and a little coastal.

Have you thought about using Annie Sloan paint to paint the kitchen units? Her Paris Grey is a lovely shade of blue grey and needs no prep - just a varnish or wax afterwards! It's instant. www.zoeglencross.comThat was you could take the yellow out of the room then put a fresh white/warm white wall colour on the walls - try Stone I (Paint & Paper Library). Agree with changing the handles - try Willow & Stone for great cabinet knobs and handles.

Liz Bton поблагодарил(а): Zoe Glencross Fabric & Home
  • PRO
    Hillarys

Hi Liz,

Because your kitchen is quite neutral, a bright pop of colour in a blind would really help to update the space I think. Try a striking geometric pattern, or just a colour block shade. You could then match your chosen colours with accessories and tea caddies - or even go for differing bold shades.

Kitchen blinds and interiors · Еще

Good luck,

Zoe

Liz Bton поблагодарил(а): Hillarys
  • dassie4
    Haven't read all the comments..are the cabinets wood..? Then you could try Annie Sloan chalk paint. No primer required. May be go to your local stockist or there might be similar paints found in large hardware stores.

Check the FB page too

Or quicker option to go for a mint green and blinds that tie in (light patterns)
    Liz Bton поблагодарил(а): dassie4
  • PRO
    Drennan Interiors

Hi Liz

I had a look at the images you posted, and I think a lovely green would be great on your kitchen walls! There is a great one, called Persian Green from Colourtrend, i think it has been discontinued on their current colour charts, but is still available to buy, its a lovely warm natural green and would be fab, looking out onto your garden from inside. The blue appears to make the room look slightly cool...so maybe stay away from blues and greys!

Defo change the handles, and just plain white roller blinds, with a side winder, no frills, let the light in, clean and fresh too!

Hope this helps ;)

Liz Bton поблагодарил(а): Drennan Interiors
  • pannacotta

I like the worktop and think the doors are quite nice. I agree that the handles are a bit dated as are the blinds. Perhaps cream or linen blinds with a pale olive green on the walls might freshen it up? Roman blinds hung above the windows (and nothing on the door) would look smarter and make sure you get maximum light into the room. The clock would look better lower down on another wall, its a bit squashed where it is.
    The washing machine does draw the eye rather, is it new or could you buy a slimmer model?

Liz Bton поблагодарил(а): pannacotta
  • Liz Bton
    Автор

Zoeglencross, thanks for your great ideas - I might test an area of cabinet with annie Sloan paint and check out the finish. I looked at your website and the fabrics are just lovely x

• Liz Bton
    Автор

Dassie, thanKS for the suggestions - I'm off to the DIY shop to get some tester to try and pick a colour - I'll keep you all posted

• Liz Bton
    Автор

Drennan interiors, thanks for the colour suggestions - I've found the colour online so I'm going to try and find a tester to see it in situ - certainly looks striking!

• Liz Bton
    Автор

Pannacotta, thanks for your ideas - I'm definitely thinking a green colour now on the walls and and off to look at new handles for the doors/blinds. The washing machine is on its last legs so when it's replaced I will make sure I get one that fits under the counter - you're right, it does stick out x

• bombel1972

paint always changing everything. haha and blinds, too! i guess roller blinds are easiest to keep clean. and i think you can get some nice ones. roman blinds are lovely, too. buuuut.... i myself have a (faux) wooden venetian in my kitchen near my sink and a roman by my table. i like it. you can have creams or natural woods, and even choose a colour hem and choose the slat width. yeah, those easy changes will def make a difference to a kitchen.

Liz Bton поблагодарил(а): bombel1972
  • pannacotta

Whichever blinds you go for, I'd think about fixing them above the windows, eg in line with the top of your wall units. This will make the windows look bigger and will block less light (its the top sections of windows which lets more light in than the lower sections). It would also give better views out onto your nice garden.

The clock go be fixed on the wall area above the mixer..

• PRO
    Glartique

Hi Liz

Have you thought about adding some printed bespoke splashback ?

How about a lovely beach hut or countryside scene. We have some that would really suit your shaker style. Mudeford Beach huts and British Countryside , printed direct to low iron toughened glass, printed at HD quality. www.glartique.com

AGA recessed printed splashback · Еще