Houzz Logo Print
audra_mckinney

Color Concrete or Wait to Stain

Audra McKinney
Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

We are building a house and footers should be started in the next few weeks. I want polished concrete on the lighter color of gray/white. I have been researching different methods and it seems like coloring the concrete is the way to go. My builder though wants to wait till the end of the build and then have it stained and polished. From what I am reading it really comes down to making sure the concrete is cured correctly.
Which option would you do if it was your custom build / forever house. I do not want to have to invest money to fix a floor in the future.
Could I do middle of the ground and have my concrete colored but wait till the end and have it polished and sealed.
Thanks

Комментарии: 4

• PRO
    Verdance Landscape Architecture

I would definitely recommend integral color (usually a liquid added during mixing) — that will produce more a consistent and durable tint than a liquid stain or "shake" (powder) applied after installation. I often specify a 2x concentration of liquid tint to be sure the color doesn't look washed out after curing. You can certainly wait to have it polished and sealed, but any stains or wear that have accrued in the meantime will be sealed in.

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

After the home is button up. New concrete needs to cure for a minimum of 30 days, before any work can be done to it. Waiting until the end is best. The concrete will be well cured.

• bradcp

I recently started a new build and here's what was agreed with my GC and concrete sub:

1. Interior Polished Concrete: this will be done just prior to drywall. As noted above, the concrete needs to cure for 30 days prior to polishing. Polishing before framing would be easiest for the Polisher but a) even with covering protection it would be difficult for framers/electrical/plumbing to do their job knowing the floor is already polished, and b) I don't want the house sitting for 30 days to cure before continuing.

2. Garage Colored Concrete: this will be colored instead of stained. I will cover with a densifier to protect against staining and maybe a sealer if I decide I want some shine to it. But the final color will be integral.

The slab will be poured this week:)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting

I would want the concrete colored before install but after I would want protection laid on top until time to seal and polish. My advice is to talk to the people installing the floorthey can give you the pros and cons of each choice.

Sponsored