Houzz Logo Print
akikocc

Hoya carnosa rubra riverted green or mislabeled?

akikocc
Год(а)/Лет назад: 5
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

I’m new to the hoya, and boy if I had known their names are so messed up, I wouldn’t have started collecting them! ☹️

I bought this green leaf hoya in a local nursery. It was labeled “hoya carnosa rubra.” I soon found out the rubra is supposed to have variegated leaves. Mine is solid green with white speckles, with a reddish stem. (Is the stem the reason it’s called rubra?)

Can anyone tell if my plant is indeed the rubra ? Or is this a hoya carnosa, simply mislabeled? Or is there such a thing as a non-variegated hoya carnosa rubra (not as a result of reverting back)?

Are flowers any different among the hoya carnosa, hoya carnosa rubra (variegated), and hoya carnosa rubra (green)?

I‘d appreciate experienced growers’ help. Thank you.

Комментарии: 2

• PRO
    Verdance Landscape Architecture

The 'Rubra' moniker was given because of the red stems; the variegation of the leaves is extremely variable (from burgundy to cream to none at all). Those white specks on the leaves (and reddish stems according to you, although I don't really see it except in the lower left) would give me hope that this is in fact 'Rubra', and you might see more variegation as the plant matures. If/when it reverts, the reverted foliage will be larger and more vigorous than the variegated foliage — assuming you ever have the chance to compare the two.

akikocc поблагодарил(а): Verdance Landscape Architecture
  • akikocc
    Автор

Verdance,

Thank you very much for your help. I didn’t know the variegation was so variable in the hoya. I’ve seen the variegated creeping fig develop green leaves from time to time, but it usually remains true to the name.

There were several rubra plants at the nursery when I purchased mine, all of which had green leaves only. I wonder if they were grown under low light.

My plant has reddish (or purplish) stems except the oldest part 2-3” above ground, which is green. I’ve only had this plant for 3 weeks, but it seems to be growing relatively fast, with two new, fully-formed reddish dark green leaves (shown below) on now a much longer stem.

I‘ll keep watching how it grows. Thank you again!

Akiko

Sponsored