Houzz Logo Print
webuser_937537237

Help! High Ceiling Living/Family Room Everything!

Nicole Taber
Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

We just moved into our dream house and our living/Family Room is one massive, high Ceiling, blank, beige canvas. The fireplace is grey, along with our new grey couch. Please I beg for any help, ideas, paint colors, inspiration, etc!

Комментарии: 121

• groveraxle

Nicole, I just now, with your last photo, realized how high that TV is. Is there enough room to float the sectional facing the fireplace and still have three feet behind it and three feet on both ends?

• Nicole Taber
    Автор

I'm not quite sure there would be three feet on both ends. Behind, absolutely. If I were to center it in front of the tv I think it would be 2-2.5 feet on each side. Should I not do the two chairs and coffee table opposite?

• groveraxle

I was hoping you could do something like this:

You're going to have trouble seeing that high TV from the sofa at 90° to it. Maybe you could do this:

Or get swivel recliners and do this:

Nicole Taber поблагодарил(а): groveraxle
  • Jennifer K

Have you considered putting the tv on an arm mounted in the space to the right of the fireplace? Then it would be visible when you wanted it and not a focal point when you didn't.

Nicole Taber поблагодарил(а): Jennifer K
  • Nicole Taber
    Автор

Groveraxle I love all the designs. This damn tv is killing me. It’s significantly larger than the space designed for it to the right; if I were to move it down it would cover the wall to the right side of it. If I just suck it up, purchase a tv that fits in the space (do they even make one that has the height?) would that solve a tremendous amount of all my design issues?

• Jennifer K
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 5

What are the dimensions of the tv cubby? Let's see if we can find you one because that would be the most straightforward, aesthetically pleasing solution. Also, what are the dimensions of the existing tv, just in case inspiration strikes.

• groveraxle

Here's a smaller TV. Placed in the lower right space, it will save your neck if it's not too low. Of course, Hubby will hate it. It's hard to go from a Giganto Screen to a teeny one.

• PRO
    Molli Young Design Consultant
    It would be a good to have a designer come to the house.
    Nicole Taber поблагодарил(а): Molli Young Design Consultant
  • Nicole Taber
    Автор

Thank you everyone; the tv will look exactly like groveraxle, and my husband will not be okay with it. Groveraxle, today I'm going to try all the configurations you posted and post pictures of them.

• tqtqtbw

How about putting the current TV on a console/credenza in front of the stair wall? That way the sectional can stay backed to the windows.

Nicole Taber поблагодарил(а): tqtqtbw
  • Nicole Taber
    Автор

It will cover a portion of the stairs:

It would cover up the bottom rails if on a console, and then when I measured to try to mount it the tv was still larger and covered several steps?

• tqtqtbw

How much wider is the TV than ,say the landing step and one about 3-4 steps down?

• cat_ky

I dont like the tv over the fireplace, however, it does look nice down in that niche. You could put something under it though, even in there, to raise it up, a bit, since that does seem a bit low. My personal thoughts are that it needs to be moved elsewhere and put on a nice console.I see a couple of nice ones, in your post above. I also really dislike mounted on the wall tv's. Reminds me of a waiting room, or a hospital room.. Just take your time, and do it little by little, and enjoy your beautiful new house. While the paint color isnt one I would ever choose, it does look to be in great condition and well done. Since it is also a neutral, I would work with it. Concentrate on rooms you use the most, that need to get done for you to live in your house and enjoy. This room, can be done, once things slow down and you have more time to think about it.

Nicole Taber поблагодарил(а): cat_ky
  • Nicole Taber
    Автор

I can place the TV as close the the main wall, right above the trim, and it will fit just under the second step from the landing if I mounted it. A console would stick out way too much and also cover a portion of the open storage in the picture with the black cases on it. Also would that eliminate seating?

• Nicole Taber
    Автор

Thank you cat_ky, that makes me feel better! Are you referring the the niche next to the fireplace or under the satirwell?

• groveraxle

Given that Hubby is not going to want to give up his big TV, then there are really only two places it can go: over the fireplace or on the opposite wall. If you keep it over the fireplace, I'd try this arrangement first:

Mock this up and measure to see if there's enough room for a pair of swivel recliners which you'll need to watch a TV that high.

• tqtqtbw

You can bring in the two dining chairs to stand in for swivel chairs, a bar stool or other small table to see how that would look. Do you have any club type chairs or a small table?

• groveraxle

Furniture Annaldo Leather Swivel Chair & Ottoman 2-Pc. Set - Furniture - Macy's · Еще

• Jennifer K

Maybe something like this could help make the cubby more tv friendly:

Full Motion Mount for 26" to 55" TVs · Еще

Barring that, how about a mobile tv?

Haven Home Cullen Entertainment Stand Deco Walnut · Еще

• J J
    Jennifer, great idea!
  • Nicole Taber
    Автор

Okay, here is how it looks:

• Nicole Taber
    Автор

Now my husband wants to add a piano!

• Jennifer K

A piano? Where? On the ceiling?

• Boxerpal

Your dogs are sooooooooooooooooooooo cute!

Nicole Taber поблагодарил(а): Boxerpal
  • groveraxle

OMG. The dogs made me laugh out loud, especially the one sitting up like a prairie dog waiting for his cookie.

I think you can get two not-too-large chairs where you have the stools. Those swivel recliners might be perfect and they're 58% off till 9/15. Approx. Swivel chair dimensions: 31''W x 33''D x 39''H Approx. Ottoman dimensions: 20''W x 17''D x 15''H

Whatever chairs you do, don't do black. I like that caramel leather with your sofa.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/annaldo-leather-swivel-chair-ottoman-2-pc.-set?ID=2873937&CategoryID=36166&swatchColor=Midnight&swatchColor=Midnight#fn=CHAIR_TYPE%3DRecliners%26CHAIR_FEATURE%3DSwivel%26SIZE%3D%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D1208%26ruleId%3D129%7CBOOST%20SAVED%20SET%7CBOOST%20ATTRIBUTE%26searchPass%3DmatchNone%26slotId%3D1

Good looking swivel recliners are hard to come by.

• Nicole Taber
    Автор

Thank you everyone for the compliments on my pup pack, the lost boys! Do you think swivel chairs are an absolute necessity? The price on those are great but I think the color may not be ideal?

But my husband seriously just asked me to ask about the piano location; where on earth would it fit?

• Nicole Taber
    Автор

• groveraxle

• Nicole Taber
    Автор

I love the coffee table! Maybe the space is just large enough for one chair?

• Jennifer K

hmm... maybe the piano can be a bargaining chip for moving the tv....

btw, could you please post the height and width of the tv and the height and width of the cubby. I know I'm being a pain, but I really think an adjustable arm could be the solution-- whether it's in the cubby or on the stair wall.

• Jennifer K

Or put the piano on the blank wall across from the fireplace and mount the tv over it. At least it would be a bit lower then.

• Nicole Taber
    Автор

Haha I did try that one~ He took our measuring tape to HD- can't measure the cubby yet. The tv is a 55'. It is on an adjustable arm; problem is that for the size of the tv the mounts are not very flexible. We can slowly turn it left to right about 3 inches on each side, and then it can tilt down.

• Jennifer K

I bought this mount for my 40" tv. It's extremely quick and easy to turn and tilt. They also make a version that would take a 55" in tv. It looks to be the same design so perhaps it might be an option.

• Nicole Taber
    Автор

I think that is the exact one we have!

• Jennifer K

drat! oh well, above the piano it is.

• Nicole Taber
    Автор
  • wmsimons85

Following. It is but really will be a lovely room with all the wonderful advice.

Love the dogs. :)

Nicole Taber поблагодарил(а): wmsimons85
  • Boxerpal

love love love that you call them the lost boys. A huge fan of all dogs and especially rescue dogs.

Nicole Taber поблагодарил(а): Boxerpal
  • groveraxle

The piano will go in the dining room...unless you put it here:

• groveraxle

Not a fan of that bright turquoise. Also don't know how comfortable it will be. Whatever you decide, be sure to measure carefully, even mock up the footprint of chairs or chaise on the floor with painters tape, before you buy,

• tqtqtbw

Love it! At first I thought Groveraxel put the dogs in. Lol!

• groveraxle

Nicole, is one of your dogs a three-legged min pin? What a good dog mommy you are!

• Nicole Taber
    Автор

Groveraxle thank you for all of this! I'm going with your original configuration :). Yes, that's my tripod HeyHey; he's my little old man. Almost blind with osteosarcoma (hence the missing leg) he always knows when I'm taking a picture!

• groveraxle

Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More · Еще

Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More · Еще

Burlap Curtains Fast Ship burlap Sale 20% off Burlap | Etsy · Еще

Pair Custom Burlap Drapes 2 Burlap Panels Custom Sizes Lined | Etsy · Еще

Shop Exclusive Fabrics Open Weave Natural Curtain Panel - On Sale - Free Shippin · Еще

I like #1, 3, and 5. If you get rod pocket drapes like #3, don't use the pocket; hang them with rings and clips like #5.

• PRO
    Fairway Style Living

Hi, Nicole--

Just a quick reminder that if you do plan to actually close these drapes for light blocking for daytime TV viewing (depending on light angles), you'll want to make sure that any panel you select is blackout-lined, and, as groveraxle mentions, attached with rings so you can easily operate them from ground level. Grommet panels and pole-pocket drapes are much less obliging, especially at longer lengths like you'll need, and seams/cuts wear much faster from normal open-close activity on the rod.

Nicole Taber поблагодарил(а): Fairway Style Living
Sponsored