Houzz Logo Print
peachypear

Should I change colour?

peachypear
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6
Hi
I’m being indecisive. I’ve asked a couple of questions before regarding my new fencing panels and picket fence. My original plan was to paint them myself a very dark colour, and have lots of lush green plants and hedging at the front. Or should I just leave the fencing as it is? I appreciate the front side gate and panel under picket fence is different and would need staining.
I’d really appreciate what people think.
Thanks

Комментарии: 15

• rachelmidlands
    Looks like the fencing has a wood preservative added. I would contact the supplier to confirm if it has and what product they use as I’ve heard that in some cases they are just dyed to make them look like they have been treated. If it has been treated with preservative then ideally you would need weather it in for a few months before applying colour. Personally I like the colour as it is. Preserve the the untreated sections too match the rest and I would possibly paint the concrete posts in dark brown or black for a nice contrast. You can use ordinary fence paint for this as concrete is porous and will absorb the paint. Just remember, when painted there is no going back.
  • peachypear
    Автор
    Yes the landscape guy did say the fencing had been preserved already and he thought it a shame to paint it.
  • Sonia
    I’ve left mine natural too. To be honest, the thought of painting all my fencing fills me with horror - too much like hard work! The “ginger” finish does fade over the years to a soft silver which is very attractive. Once you have planted up the borders and the front garden it will make a huge difference. Here’s a pic of mine.
  • Kenny Miller
    I second everything forzaitalia said. It will silver over time, planting will soften the look, and staining/painting is tricky job which in our experience needed redoing within a few years.
  • PRO
    Juliette Byrne

The fencing looks great as it is, I think the natural knots showing through the fence adds a really lovely texture.

• peachypear
    Автор
    Thank you all for your opinions, I’m not going to paint it!
  • PRO
    S&D Landscapes Ltd

Hi Id always say leave it until the timber has weathered as it will naturally change colour before you make any changes and if you do ever choose to use a preservative always go for one that soaks into the timber rather than one that covers the timber. Timber should be allowed to breath and it cant if you use paint which inevitably covers over the timber.

• Daisy England

My new fence is left in a natural state too. I couldn't bear the thought of painting it now, in another couple of years time and so on and on. It was erected around a year ago and has already started to silver/lighten.

• E D
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

Good decision peachypear.

You could however still consider painting the concrete posts (I would leave the 'skirting') and particularly your picket fence, for a more 'sophisticated' look to compliment your lovely front door.

Btw, love your sleepers bench/planter!

• Jonathan
    So I am going to go against the consensus.
    I think that because there is very little in the garden and because the natural colour is close in colour to the surrounding brick I think this fence is not doing as much for your garden as it would if stained lighter.
    I think that if stained light (ivory, stone or pale green) it would reflect in light, make the space feel bigger, be a better backdrop for any plants and help keep your eye in the garden rather than wandering to the houses and the windows that overlook you.
  • delyth price
    I will also go against the consensus, if you paint it the exact same colour as your front door it will look classy and understated
  • chief_brody
    Look like an urban setting so perhaps black for some drama
  • Sven

I would leave it as is as the colour is nice. It will grey naturally and when that happens would stain it black. I have stained my fencing black and it really sets off plants, makes the garden appear larger and is modern looking.

• peachypear
    Автор
    Thanks for the comments, I read appreciate it. Originally I’d thought as Jonathan and another person suggested painting it in similar colour to front door would look uniform and calm, but I’ve noticed even with my front door - a light colour shows up dirt a bit more, and as I’m on the corner my side seems to get everyone’s wheelie bins lined up. I then thought black or a very dark colour as this would look great with greenery, but I’d be painting it myself so started to realise the effort plus I do like rather like the natural weathered look, so I’m going to leave it natural.
    Unfortunately landscaper isn’t sure what colour was used so I have to try and get a match for front side gate and skirting under picket fence. Also if I go ahead and paint concrete posts what shade and I presume they’ll stay darker as fences fade.