Houzz Logo Print
bayareamomof2

help with living room entry no foyer

Deb France
Год(а)/Лет назад: 6
As in most homes, we don’t have a foyer. It opens into an unused living room. I have a faux mudroom to the side of the stairs that functions well for us. I don’t want to buy new furniture, but new artwork, pillows,etc. would be fine. I’m open to ideas! The current art can go. I have a casual California/beach theme in the dining room, kitchen, and den. I also have young kids. Any ideas? I’d like it to be beautiful and functional at the same time. I’ve thought about built in bookcases and fireplace mantel but have no idea where to begin. I’m stuck with what to put over the couch. Thanks for your help!!!!

Комментарии: 50

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease

Have you tried completely turning the sectional and adding a sofa table behind it so you can create a separation..what is the length of the back of the sectional? What is the room size?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease

Seems that sectional is much to big for your space.

• Susan Davis

Possibilities?

Have sofa face fireplace as suggested to give a new vibe and an entry area.

Buy a carpet that is big enough to have the sofa front legs setting on it.....maybe 8 x 10 or 9 x 12 are standard.

Select a color from the rugs and paint the fireplace area in a variations of your selected color....mid tone or light.

Hang curtains in a pattern that works with the carpet.

Add pillows in all colors from the rug.

Narrow depth consoles with drawers on either side of fireplace with mirrors above and a lamp on each table.

Baskets for odd storage of throws, books, etc.

• Deb France
    Автор
    Here are some photos.
  • Deb France
    Автор
    I added some photos to show how much more space there is. I had a smaller couch before but it’s seemed to float there alone...I could try to buy something else down the road. It’s pretty small, I’ll measure it.
  • Deb France
    Автор
    It looks too big this way ...
  • Deb France
    Автор
    I think it only fits this way. I need clearance to open the door. The console tables with lamps are a great idea! Maybe some new art. I haven’t found anything yet I love...
  • Deb France
    Автор
    That last post had photos from when I switched to sofa and after I moved it back
  • PRO
    Anglophilia

It's just too big and nothing will change that. Sell it and buy a 72" sofa and a couple of nice chairs.

• groveraxle

The sectional is a bit too large, but you can make it work if you adjust the rest of your furnishings for better scale. Your art is too high and too small, and your rug is too small, as well. I'd probably replace the ottoman with a chair, and maybe a chunky mantel would give the fireplace more presence to go with the couch.

Let me see what I can do. Back in a bit.

• Deb France
    Автор
    That great! My husband goes to Africa a lot for work and brought the masks back...but we could always put it somewhere else. I love the rug! And love World Market/Moroccan travel chic. Not sure about the wall hanging but it’s a great pop of color. He also bought the lamp...but it was cheap. It needs something for sure. I think it works though. Later I’d like to close it off and make it a study or board game room/homework room. Or something like that.
  • Deb France
    Автор
    https://www.worldmarket.com/product/gilded+world+map+wall+art.do

Maybe something like this? We’ve traveled quite a bit around the world...
  • groveraxle

Deb France поблагодарил(а): groveraxle
  • everdebz

hmm.. oh hello... the map with the rug, not so much... map does seem gold like mirror and fp, some? But a brighter rug, then?

• everdebz
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 6

I know! put tacks where you've travelled - well, maybe not. :)

• everdebz

Let's say you buy the map - over fireplace, yellow tree art [might be a blend with your curry/ gold rug] ?

Or great travel photo onto a canvas? :)

"Japanese Maple Trees" Floral Photography Canvas Print, 40"x30" · Еще
    [https://www.houzz.com/products/japanese-maple-trees-floral-photography-canvas-print-40x30-prvw-vr~67702867[(https://www.houzz.com/products/japanese-maple-trees-floral-photography-canvas-print-40x30-prvw-vr~67702867)

• everdebz

Might be photo - color problem. But are sofa and rug not ideal colors, close together?

• everdebz

I have felt like this I think. Might be too drastic/ emotional for entry viewing - it seems like for den, or exercise-pain room.

"Deliberation" by Mario Sanchez Nevado, Giclee Canvas Print, 28"x28" · Еще

[https://www.houzz.com/products/deliberation-by-mario-sanchez-nevado-giclee-canvas-print-28x28-prvw-vr~52232971[(https://www.houzz.com/products/deliberation-by-mario-sanchez-nevado-giclee-canvas-print-28x28-prvw-vr~52232971)

• therightlook

"African Elephant" Canvas Wall Art, 30"x30" · Еще

African Basket Cool Bloom Gallery Display Master Weave Art Home Decor · Еще

Brown Ribbon Scroll 22"x22" Silk Throw Pillows Cover, Brown And Blue Turq · Еще
    add color blue

• everdebz

If no furniture is in front of the window, this might work well - and with mirror too. 52 x 84" poly.

Clara Room Darkening Window Panel Gray/ Yellow Set 52x84+2 · Еще

'Teal Horizon' Canvas Art by Nicole Dietz · Еще

[https://www.houzz.com/products/clara-room-darkening-window-curtain-turquoise-tangerine-set-52x84-2-prvw-vr~47393491[(https://www.houzz.com/products/clara-room-darkening-window-curtain-turquoise-tangerine-set-52x84-2-prvw-vr~47393491)

• everdebz

Just checking - this with those curtains?... like a far away place....

Philippe Hugonnard 'Sunset Over' Canvas Art, 47"x30" · Еще
    [https://www.houzz.com/products/philippe-hugonnard-sunset-over-canvas-art-47x30-prvw-vr~80108958[(https://www.houzz.com/products/philippe-hugonnard-sunset-over-canvas-art-47x30-prvw-vr~80108958)

• everdebz

As to travel treasures - do you want the spirit of them? with lively influence of their culture - in color and/ or pattern?

or just the neutrals of the masks and other items?

here's a neutral:

Harrow Abstract Cut Velvet Upholstery Fabric, Bittersweet · Еще

Faux African Leopard Fabric · Еще

[https://www.houzz.com/products/harrow-abstract-cut-velvet-upholstery-fabric-yard-bittersweet-prvw-vr~66475344[(https://www.houzz.com/products/harrow-abstract-cut-velvet-upholstery-fabric-yard-bittersweet-prvw-vr~66475344)

• Deb France
    Автор
    I love the landscape and abstract art! Thanks for the suggestions!!! I think we will try to find something from a place we’ve visited or are from. I see where you are going with it. I love the blue pillow and blue abstract art. This has been very helpful. Especially the photoshop. Thank you!!!!
  • everdebz

Absolutely! great to re-live what we knew and lived through on our travels! :)

Good to group - I think grover put 3 close together...

• Deb France
    Автор
    Yes! Grouping along that wall closer together is much nicer. I’m very excited where this is going! Thanks so much for your help!!!!
  • User

If you want it to be a game room, why not aim for that now? You could have a table with four chairs (comfy upholstered chairs), a bookcase or storage for games and puzzles and books....maybe a curl-up chair to read a book and have a cup of tea...

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri

I really like the fireplace in grover's last picture. White mantel is removed along with all the doodads on top. The white mantel just seemed out of place. And I like the BIG plant in the corner, too. Small numerous pieces seem clutter-y to me, like several things set down in a pile till you have time to put them in their proper places.

I think I'd put your most important art piece (large, maybe colorful) over the fireplace.

Oh, and I think your sectional is crippling you. It is just not the right furniture for this room.

• mom2hsm

really cool pieces!! It's hard to want to spend much in a room you don't use. An inexpensive larger rug, as others have recommended, would be good. Also, just rearrange a few of the pieces you have--candles on the fireplace mantel off to one side (buy one taller candle) and put one of the drums (?)from the floor on the other side of the mantel, move the plant closer to the fireplace and get some inexpensive curtains and the room will feel warmer and not so staged. Something larger over the sectional - a mirror? - and stagger the masks. It's okay if they don't stay together. And of course, a throw for texture on the sofa!!

• Deb France
    Автор
    Everdebz I checked out the world market website—loved all your ideas looking for a piece large enough. What do you think of this? I agree the map isn’t enough. https://www.worldmarket.com/product/cactus-with-gold-frame.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search
  • Deb France
    Автор
    I hear you all! I had a table with 4 upholstered chairs before and it felt weird. The room is oddly small. You can’t tell in the photos but the couch seems to fit in there. I agree I wanted a much smaller sectional sofa. My husband is the other factor and he likes the couch for now. The only other thing to do with it is make it a large mudroom I guess. We are in disagreement about the room in general. Again it’s weird because it is the room from the front door and I don’t want it to be too crazy and jarring, more neutrally pleasing. Other than greeting someone at the front door, we don’t use this room. Sometimes we sit there if a friend comes over or neighbor.
  • melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/

I didn't read all the posts, but I think the room has a peaceful feel. If you install built-ins around the fireplace you could store books or games. It could be your game room /reading room. If you have space a console table is nice for defining the emery a little more. And maybe a color on the walls/area rug to ground the space. But it's quite nice as is, too.

Deb France поблагодарил(а): melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
  • PRO
    Amelia Vallone Interiors

i can't see the distance between the fire place wall and the window, but if there is enough room stationary panels would brighten up that wall and create the perception of a larger window. Area rugs help define spaces. The idea of a console table behind the sectional would define a foyer area.

Deb France поблагодарил(а): Amelia Vallone Interiors
  • User

I don't think the sectional looks bad at all; gives off a nice, cozy vibe. It does seem a waste not to use the room more. If you're thinking of a game room option, why not put a drop leaf table under the window with several chairs? It can be extended when necessary and you could have 2 additional folding chairs if you need them. (Slide them under the sofa...:) A good place also for projects, computer time etc too if the need arises in the future. Depending upon the games, it wouldn't even need to be a drop leaf if you don't need a ton of room. A simple rectangular would work well when pulled out. You could construct your own pretty inexpensively. IKEA is great for that type of project. Rustic top, clean, more contemp legs? https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS745US745&biw=1024&bih=472&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=_tZxWp7-JMzGjwTbooyYDQ&q=ikea+table+legs&oq=ikea+table+legs&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l7j0i8i30k1l3.110257.113337.0.113485.15.13.0.2.2.0.169.1373.2j10.12.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.14.1391...0i67k1.0.SfjcwncGj_g

Deb France поблагодарил(а): User
  • Deb France
    Автор
    We have also tried a couch facing the fireplace with a sofa table behind it, it didn’t work either because the room is so small, the couch was way took close to the fireplace. Here is a photo of the dimensions, not drawn to scale.

I have thought about some sort of rectangular table to sit at in front of the couch to play games/homework and/or a sort of thin row of desks under the windows for homework. I never thought about a drop leaf! That could be interesting. Maybe a rectangular table would be best with some Billy shelves from Ikea along both sides of the fireplace? They aren’t very deep...I’ve seen people do crazy things with them for faux built-ins online...or just keep it open with the drop leaf/narrow desks along the window?
  • Deb France
    Автор
    Not sure if last photo uploaded correctly. Thank you All for your comments and help! I appreciate each and every one!
  • Deb France
    Автор
    One more time...
  • Deb France
    Автор
    It’s 140” along the wall with the back of the couch that keeps getting cut off. Ceilings are standard height 8’ High. The sectional on the right side extends the hallway and goes right along the line where the hallway ends, closing off the room and giving more definition to the area without closing it off. Even with the door open, there is enough space to walk between the couch and door. The door is about halfway in line with the couch sectional/hallway line
  • Deb France
    Автор
    Jama7 your link didn’t work for me for some reason. Could you post again please? Thank you!
  • njmomma

Watching :-)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

Replace the bench with two comfy chairs which coordinate with the sectional. Don't turn it.

Move the wood masks to a smaller wall so they are not so spaced out from one another.

Select artwork for over the sectiona

Artwork or three-dimensional assemblage for over the sectional.

Get a floor lamp that spreads the light in the room

Deb France поблагодарил(а): BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Deb France
    Автор

groveraxle I loved the rugs you suggested! They are out of stock of the larger size of both! :(

• always1stepbehind

You can definitely make your sectional work. Love grovers mock ups.

• Cole Cross
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

It's been 3 years, I need an update :P Hope you added larger artwork and more color <3

• Deb France
    Автор
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 2

I moved!

Sponsored