Houzz Logo Print
jeannief53

need help with garden project

jeannief53
Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

I would like to have a patio with a Mediterranean theme at the bottom of my garden where it catches the sun until the end of the day. Previously there was a pond, which has now been removed. So far I've come up with the idea of having a triangular sail and a mirrored water feature. I want to use the space for relaxing and dining. The area is 7m x 6.5m. I cant decide what paving to have, or the layout. Any suggestions welcome.

Before photos

Комментарии: 9

• PRO
    User

It's a great plot size and a lovely sunny position. The mediterranean look is all about stonework, planters & Pots. Have a two tier patio. The bottom layer straight across with a circular fronted second, higher level back left. On the top layer you could have your lounging area and water feature in the background. Coming forward a nice dining area for the late evening sun.

Improving the fences is a must, the trellis to the left offers no privacy. The fence at the back may be salvageable. Replacing both would be better. You can also paint the fences to add colour in a pale blue maybe or white. White especially will show up terracotta wall hung planters and pots, whilst giving the plants and flowers something to 'pop' from.

• jeannief53
    Автор

Thank you so much for going to all that trouble. I agree about the boundaries, I had thought I might have walls built that could be rendered and painted and then I'd be able to add planters to that.

• PRO
    User

Walls would be absolutely fabulous. not in everyone's budget. However, if you're going to render them, then they can be built out of blocks not bricks.

jeannief53 поблагодарил(а): User
  • PRO
    Rebecca Smith Garden Design

I'd say Mediterranean gardens are all about scent too - for small, scented plants think of using herbs such as lavender and rosemary. Then add height and some Italian cypress for punctuation. Combine paving with gravel for your seating area and then add interest by using large terracotta pots filled with scented pelargoniums. If you are having rendered walls then you can have a display of wall mounted pots as well to add more colour.

jeannief53 поблагодарил(а): Rebecca Smith Garden Design
  • PRO
    Special Gardens
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Have you seen this advice book by Claudia de Yong on Mediterranean gardens, might give you some additional ideas? https://www.houzz.co.uk/magazine/how-to-create-a-mediterranean-style-garden-stsetivw-vs~65455468?utm_source=Houzz

jeannief53 поблагодарил(а): Special Gardens
  • PRO
    Katy Galbraith, Mosaic Artist

mosaics mosaics and more mosaics - though ensure that they are suitable for outdoors and frost-proof if you are in an area prone to chilly winters.

garden shrines, stepping stones propped up as small features in the flowerbeds, mosaic tabletop...

• PRO
    Caroline Benedict Smith Garden Designer Cheshire

Hi Jeanie, consider also your soil type and location before choosing your layout and plants. Mediterranean plants like a very free draining soil especially if you get cold winters. They don,t like winter wet. Sandy/ loamy is best, clay is difficult, especially in wet north west UK. A raised area, 250-300mm is enough to provide the drainage they might need ( lavender/ Rosemary/ euphorbia/ santolina / thyme etc) and could add more interest to the layout at the bottom of the garden.

• alyper

Consider why Mediterranean gardens look good where they are - all down to the ambient light and temperature, encouraging the local plants and landscaping materials. Don't feel this works well in our Northern climes. Yes, go for a terrace, good screening, large pots, attractive furniture - avoid Mediterranean colours especially blue glazed pots and (sorry Katy!) mosaics in this situation.