Houzz Logo Print
mountainfreak4465

Kitchen design help por favor

mountainfreak4465
Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

I was hoping to get some advice from some of the fine Houzzers out there with a kitchen layout I'm working on for a new build. This will be a modern/contemporary kitchen with the base and tall cabinets being full overlay in one color and the uppers being something like aluminum with frosted glass.

My original thought was to put a big 80 40 picture window as shown in the 3rd photo, but it feels a little unbalanced to me. I do like the way the tall cabinets frame the uppers cabinets and window and I love the amount of uninterrupted prep space to the right of the sink. But if you're sitting at the island (see bottom photo) the window falls off to the right quite a bit. The window is south facing and stares directly at my cedar fence 6' away so I thought I'd try to plant Aspen trees outside of it.

My next thought was to do a wide skinny window (still with Aspen trees behind it) like in the 2nd photo. Run a stretch of short uppers above the window. I think that might look cool, almost like a photograph of aspens for a backsplash.

So what do you think? Should I go with the original less expensive plan with the big window, or do the long skinny backsplash window? Also I will have 9.5' ceilings I was planning on furring down to the 8' cabinet tops. Good idea or not?

Thanks a bunch for your input!

Комментарии: 14

• havingfun

ok, i see you have a garage door to a patio. what is that view? (see what a pain we can be?) I would keep some sort of window where the sink is, but you are going to have a whole open wall. that must have a good view, why would you put a porch back there otherwise. and then you can rest things on your island and people could take them out.

mountainfreak4465 поблагодарил(а): havingfun
  • mountainfreak4465
    Автор

Sorry, I put porch, I meant patio. It's ground level with a very small back yard. The idea was to give the kitchen an open airy feel when the weathers nice and keep it closed during cooler months (near Denver). I was thinking I'd make a tall skinny "community table" I'd put out there too so just meant to connect the indoor and outdoor spaces.

Here's a clearer early version of the floorpan. I didn't include it before because obviously the sink and dishwasher can't be where they are, no cabinets etc.

I like the skinny window with small uppers as well except for where the cabinets pass over the sink. Can you put cabinets over a sink where they're still functional and not smack in your face?

• chaya25
    Won't it feel airy anyway with the garage door to the patio? Or is it not all glass?
    Maybe you can make the cabinet above the sink finish a bit higher with a narrower depth? Or replace the cabinet with shelving?
    There's a lot of things you can do...or is there a way for you to continue the window backslash upwards onto the wall behind the sink? (If it's centered of course...) im just running Ideas here...
  • PRO
    Dupont Cabinetry & Design

If you want clean contemporary lines, I would recommend not building furr downs. I have attached a photo of one of our projects to illustrate a similar look to the one you may want to create.

mountainfreak4465 поблагодарил(а): Dupont Cabinetry & Design
  • mountainfreak4465
    Автор

sorry, that's what I meant. Yes the garage door should make the kitchen feel super airy and open. It will be one of those anodized 9 panel types with clear glass. Something a little like these.

Magnolia Renovation · Еще

Bar Area · Еще

Mid-century Modern Urban infill · Еще

• mountainfreak4465
    Автор

Thanks Dupont. Awesome kitchen. The window backsplash you did is almost exactly what I had in mind. Again, my only concern would be where those book shelves are. Do they not interfere with the operation of the sink?

• mountainfreak4465
    Автор

I'm sure that's a secondary sink, but for my application maybe you just do a higher shorter wall cabinet or open shelf there like Chaya25 suggested.

• havingfun

You have to measure for you. I think even short little me, with the tall faucet and the lowered shelf might be hitting my fingers. So you might just want to give a little more headspace in that spot.

My original question was, why is the island facing that garage door wall, like in the original drawing?

mountainfreak4465 поблагодарил(а): havingfun
  • mountainfreak4465
    Автор

I've got the island facing South where the sink is. The island acts as a friendly barrier to keep people out of my way when I'm whipping up tasty vittles!

• PRO
    Dupont Cabinetry & Design

You are correct. That is a secondary sink. Have you considered shifting your sink toward your tall cabinet. Then you would only have to eliminate the last upper.

mountainfreak4465 поблагодарил(а): Dupont Cabinetry & Design
  • havingfun

Ok, got you, but won't you suffer the same problem all the time you are living out of doors? I am assuming that would be a lot?

• mountainfreak4465
    Автор

Dupont. I thought about that and didn't think I'd want my sink that close to the oven. I don't know why but for some reason it felt cramped. I do like what you did with the book shelves. Maybe I could do something like that and just eliminate the lowest one or do open shelves(Chaya's idea). I was also planning on mixing the uppers and lowers like you've done so well. The taller cabinets on the ends matching the lowers. Maybe carry the short upper cabinets around to the West wall and leave a similar gap between fridge and the double wall oven.

I swear before I do another project I will go back to school for CAD and give up the graph paper...Well maybe not totally give it up.

Thanks for all the help. You guys are awesome!

• chaya25

best of luck!

mountainfreak4465 поблагодарил(а): chaya25