Houzz Logo Print
tommyflan

POLL: Curtains or Blinds?

Tom Flanagan
Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 9
We've been debating the merits of blinds vs curtains here at Houzz UK, but now it's time to hear what our community thinks!
Are you a fan of dressing your windows with curtains or do you prefer the simplicity of blinds? What have you opted for in your home?

Vote and let us know your decision!
Curtains
Blinds

Комментарии: 83

• PRO
    Lynnwood Interiors
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

I prefer the blinds as the over long curtains look very untidy.

• PRO
    The Great Shutter Co. Ltd.

Blinds are great but shutters are even more versatile.

• PRO
    Paul Christian

roman blinds work so well in most areas and will be in fashion for years to come

• PRO
    MsJacqueline

I think it depends on the room and the overall look your going for. I'm loving the voile roman blinds and curtains on the outside look at the moment. But I think it really depends on the room layout.

• PRO
    Docklands Bathrooms

I like the straight lines and neatness blinds can offer. Although I like rounded edge chairs and other piece of furniture, prefer straight lines on windows.

• PRO
    Grants Bespoke Blinds and Shutters

We like Blinds for Shaped Windows;

Motorised Honeycell Blackout Blinds have been fitted to this bedroom gable window with stunning effect

• PRO
    Walk Interior Architecture & Design

the sooner architects & builders get over the 'trend' for glazed apex's the better. they look great externally but always pose problems for bedroom window treatments. these blinds are clever - but expensive and ideally better to side step the need in the first place. they don't increase the view - only add light in a bedroom?

• PRO
    Highbury Design Ltd

personally I think the only blinds that look ok are 'Perfect Fit'- when pleateds are done as in the photos they usually look pretty disastrous in reality in my 30-year experience (we've never done them this way!)... Italian-strung curtains look good but clients who have fully glazed apexes usually don't want curtains.

• PRO
    User
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 8

This one is really a toughie! Curtains can bring so much to any room and are much easier to maintain than blinds. Saying that, blinds can be as spectacular as it gets. For me curtains everywhere but the office.

• PRO
    e-Hardware
    Tough one as the out of the photos the blinds are better but in most spaces curtains look better.
  • PRO
    Laura Felicity Design
    Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

Love both! Depends on the type and style of the room.

• PRO
    Sara Agar Interiors

They both work - depends on your own preference and style along with the look you are trying to create.

• nappies
    I think both have there beauty
    I've done many ways With both
    E
  • PRO
    Acme Blinds

Both can be functional and also make your window beautiful.

• Tess Wijy
    I love conservatory blinds, you can bring them down from the top and from the bottom, making you decide how much privacy you need letting in light. you can use them anywhere in the home.
  • PRO
    Estilo Design Dublin

I prefer the luxury of interlined curtains but it really depends on the space and style of window.

• PRO
    Let It Be Sew

Interlined blinds give luxury to any room

• PRO
    Create Perfect

like many of you.. i would say it depends on the window, the user and of course the view.. but for me, nothing beats a gorgeous white voile letting light shine into the space whilst still offering privacy.

• PRO
    Zoe Glencross Fabric & Home

It depends on the windows - in your photo of the roman blinds the windows are shorter so blinds is ofcourse the best option. For a doorway - like in your curtain photo, curtains are ofcourse best. I like to use both sometimes to make a focal point of a window - and it also helps to keep out drafts in an old house. Blending the two can also give you an opportunity to combine two fabric prints that complement one another. Our collections by colour at zoeglencross.com illustrate how to blend your fabrics for a balanced scheme. www.zoeglencross.com

Zoe

• PRO
    Pamela Langbridge Curtains and Upholstery

The curtains give a very cluttered at this window. They also make the window look very narrow. The blinds are a good example of how to dress a kitchen window.

• PRO
    Laurel House Interiors

I produce both Curtains and blinds as there is as much demand for both.

• PRO
    s2 design . architects
    Последние изменения: Год(а)/Лет назад: 7

blinds are so much tidier when they're open

• PRO
    DUNNE AND NUGENT BLINDS AND CURTAINS LTD

ROMAN BLINDS ARE A BEAUTIFUL SOLUTION FOR SMALL ROOMS THAT NEED TO TO HAVE ITS SPACE OPENED UP.

• PRO
    Jessica Higgins Interiors

Very difficult to say....depends on window, feel required and house style

• PRO
    Bolton Blinds

As a company who sells both curtain and blinds we have an experience that different people go for different products.

• PRO
    Cotton Tree Interiors

Always have floor length, never sill! Romans over rollers generally but each client is different ...

• Aron

Nice Romans but not fond of curtain heading

• PRO
    Curtains.com

It's a common discussion, why don't you try and look at our website?

• PRO
    Duo Interior Design Ltd

Depends. Blinds are more contemporary and curtains can make the room look cosier.

• PRO
    Hehku

Depends on the room but more often than not blinds.

• PRO
    Ruler Interior Design

I love to see blinds in a bedroom, with curtain voiles to finish it off!

• PRO
    NORR11

I prefer Blinds!

• PRO
    Perring Design Limited

depends on the window

• PRO
    Pamela Langbridge Curtains and Upholstery

I would like to have seen pelmets over the roman blinds to hide the side view of the headrails and give a neater finish. The curtains are not hanging well and maybe needed interlining and a tie back so they draped better

• PRO
    Ratcliff & Burridge Construction Ltd

Prefer curtains as blinds collect too much dust!

• PRO
    Highbury Design Ltd

• PRO
    Isidora Markovic

It all depends on the room and the look you are after, but I feel like curtains are harder to get right. Big fan of louvred shutters

• PRO
    Hummerston Ward

Definitely blinds.

• PRO
    STIL HAVEN INTERIORS

Depends on the room, I love luxurious curtains in a big airy room! Blinds are great for windows.

• PRO
    Ergonomic Office Solutions

Interior Blinds · Еще

Definitely blinds with such a wide range of styles and finishes available, beats curtains everytime

• PRO
    A-Joiner

Prefer blinds to curtains as they give a much more modern and cleaner look.

• PRO
    AJS Estates Ltd

Much prefer the blinds

• PRO
    User

I spend time with my clients looking at the window style to decide whether curtains or roman blinds are more suitable

• PRO
    Ergonomic Office Solutions

There is room for both I guess depending on the look you want, maybe in a traditional lounge environment drapes / curtains may look better in a home office blinds shutters may be more contemporary, where also light, heat and glare need to be considered, check our web site

• PRO
    KRA Visionary Project Partners

Blinds - always have a better variety of choice and style.

• PRO
    VLS Curtain Makers LTD

It really depends on the shape/size of the window and the style/age/location of the property. For instance we would not recommed putting toile de jouy swags and tails in a modern London apartment. Blinds suit a certain style of room/window/decor compared to that of curtains. That said however it is still possible to have both together and look good. I think the simple answer is put up what YOU want and like

• PRO
    User

Totally agree with VLS Curtain Makers Ltd. Whether you choose curtains or blinds to dress a window they should be what you like and want, suit the property and your lifestyle. I have clients with pets who would rather have a blind so that the fabric doesn't get covered in dog hair, whereas other clients prefer to have curtains trailing across the floor simply because they like the look and it suits how they live and the style of the property as well as their other furnishings.

• PRO
    The Blind Shop

We're called The Blind Shop so blinds all the way! Simple, modern, functional.

• PRO
    No Naked Windows

It depends entirely on the room and the look you are trying to achieve, however our personal favourite at the moment is unlined linen curtains, in whatever colour fits.

• Bonnie 99

I voted for curtains, but i like both, just depends whats in the room! :)